Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Always Breaking Something

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I notice a recurring phenomenon.

Everytime my car goes into Tesla service for some warranty work, it comes back with something else damaged.

Usually its the original problem not being properly fixed, but in addition to that, SCRATCHES.

Once I had a giant scratch (looks more like a small dog bit into it) on the nose of the car.

Other times there will be dirt/smudges left on the leather interior (they apparently don't have a policy of covering the seats when their service guys work on the cars)

Today I just noticed a bunch of scratches on the interior metal frame of the vehicle door frame.

I can tell you that there is no way, I did this. This was either there when I originally bought the car (and never noticed it) or it was done by one of the Tesla Service Center authorized shops!

Honestly, I feel extremely hesitant taking my car in for further service, because I cannot trust these @#$@#$ to do it right without F@#$#@$G something else up!

I am tired of being their QC guy, and having to routinely check my own car to see where they may have done any new "damage".....

Wow sorry to hear that happened. I hope they make it right. The few times I have had to take my car in, I felt like they treated it well.. I see them with the gloves on to prevent smudges etc. Is there a different service center near you, or a really nice phone call with the service manager? I have found them all more than willing to listen to constructive criticism.. Again sorry to hear of your experiences so far, and it definitely gives me a pause to hear that happened.

Sorry that happened. I've had a few incidents of this as well. I now thoroughly check the vehicle out when I get it back. At least around here the people running the damage check-in process are exceedingly thorough, so Tesla checks the paperwork, sees it didn't have that damage on check-in, and offers a fix.

I had a curbed wheel repaired, and a paint chip near a door handle that was being fixed that I told them about, but kind of let go. Repainting 1/4 of the car is worse than a small chip, resale-value-wise.

I don't know what happens if you find it after you leave, though. I've caught both of my instances before I left, so was able to confirm with the manager immediately (who was, to his credit, apologetic about the trouble).

I'd contact the manager at your SC and see if there's anything that they can do. It'd probably be wise to wait until you're less angry than when you wrote that post, though.

Reactions: FlyF4 and RichardD
Yes.. I know the procedure quite well now...

Need to take it into service anways for a loose door handle.

Anyone else notice how poorly made the door handles are?
Mine's already wiggling off the frame... and it's only a month old..

It's just draining to have to check every detail of the car, every time you get the vehicle back. Not only the exterior, but also the interior!

It's challenging enough to make sure they're fixing what they are supposed to fix, without having to also worry about any NEW damage they may have done.

If anyone told me (pre Tesla ownership) that I'd have to do this, I'd tell them they're CRAZY!

Reactions: davidc18
If the issues have already been brought up to the service manager there then the location manager should also be made aware of it and hopefully he will value your patronage and see that steps are taken with the service manager/crew to handle things differently. Unhappy service customers likely won't recommend that location to friends looking for a new car and affect his sales. If things don't improve on your next visit with the door handle I would then make a point of sending Tesla an email about it.

Getting your car back with a dirty interior is bad. My local shop has been working on an illusive A/C issue on my ICE vehicle, and we just cleaned dirty, dark film from the steering wheel this past weekend when I got it back on Friday. Clearly from one of the mechanics with dirty hands. Stuff like that should never happen and does leave the customer with a bad feeling. We've had two occasions to take our MS into a local SvC and had good experiences both times (interior/exterior and with issues corrected) but I can sympathize with those that don't.

Last edited:
I have had the same experience. EVERY time I bring mine in. it comes out the worse for wear.

It just came back to me 2 weeks ago and more problems. Now they want ANOTHER $200 deductible. Refuse to pay it. I am so fed up with it.

AND they now insist I bring the car in YET AGAIN (300 mile RT) for annual mandatory service, even though the last time it was in (March) was just after its anniversary.

(Why the ****** didn't they perform it when they had it?)

Then they came to me house* to fix a part and didn't bother to order the replacement part before I waited 2 weeks for ranger to show. They wanted to inspect if first.

* They made an appointment for Thursday or Friday. Never followed up to firm the day. Instead, rang my doorbell 7am Monday morning w/o appointment.

The people there couldn't be nicer ... but they are inept to put it nicely.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidc18
In the other thread you've only had the car for a month and can't even manage to get it in for a service appointment because they won't schedule you one.

In this thread you've suffered major problems "everytime" your car has been brought in for service.

How many times is "everytime" in your month of ownership?

My experience with Tesla and my first month of REAL ownership has been complicated...

* I said I'll try to schedule one. That means that I've already requested the schedule and now I'm just waiting for them to confirm...

My experience with Tesla and my first month of REAL ownership has been complicated...

* I said I'll try to schedule one. That means that I've already requested the schedule and now I'm just waiting for them to confirm...
You should be talking to the service manager and see what happens. Posting your complaints here before service has responded is a waste of time. Service in San Raphael has been excellent.

It's just draining to have to check every detail of the car, every time you get the vehicle back. Not only the exterior, but also the interior!

It's challenging enough to make sure they're fixing what they are supposed to fix, without having to also worry about any NEW damage they may have done.

Hmmm, you are making a good case for me to go out and buy a 20 year old peace of crap car :D

Also, word of advise: don't let them wash your car if you're fussy about paint quality.... They're doing a worse job than the $12 people at the gas station.....

My Mini went to the dealer for a air bag sensor recall. They did a "complementary" car wash by a 18 yo and a 3,000 psi pressure washer! blew through clear coat and paint on the roof! I drove 30 miles to pick it up and the damage was obvious. They had 30-40 before photos (surprised they did that many) and admitted they did it. Wanted to split the cost 50/50 since I would have a fresh coat of paint on the roof! To avoid their delays and the distance I got a local bid and they wrote me a check. The job came in under the bid so I made a few bucks for a pain in the #$%^&* hassel. Don't let them wash the car! Is taking 30 photos at drop off a normal thing?

Hmmm, you are making a good case for me to go out and buy a 20 year old peace of crap car :D

I've been wondering the same thing....

" You should be talking to the service manager and see what happens. Posting your complaints here before service has responded is a waste of time. Service in San Raphael has been excellent. "

I've already contacted all relevant parties.... no response yet...

As for me wasting my time here... well... that may be an understatement....

I still love my car ... but the moment another brand comes out with a peer, I will replace it. Service is that bad.
I never expected to say that. Never.
My friends laugh at me when I tell them .. to get service I have to drive RT 300 miles.

And yes, I have reached out to the SM ... nothing ... they could care less OR their hands are tied.

Maybe I should apologize for venting here? :)

I don't think all service centers are created equal. My home center in Tigard, OR has been great. I was on a road trip last week and got a nail and went to the San Rafael, CA for tire replacement. Not only did they replace the tire but they noticed my ride wasn't sitting right and did an air suspension calibration. It seemed like they were pretty slammed but still got me in immediately and went above and beyond.

Reactions: bridgetown
I don't think all service centers are created equal. My home center in Tigard, OR has been great. I was on a road trip last week and got a nail and went to the San Rafael, CA for tire replacement. Not only did they replace the tire but they noticed my ride wasn't sitting right and did an air suspension calibration. It seemed like they were pretty slammed but still got me in immediately and went above and beyond.

Agree. The service team in Rocklin, CA was fantastic and always went above and beyond. I was sad to leave them behind when I moved, but was happy to find a great team in Tigard.

I've had zero complaints regarding service for my Roadster and now for my X. They've always gone above and beyond. I'm sorry others have not had the same amazing experience.

I notice a recurring phenomenon.

Everytime my car goes into Tesla service for some warranty work, it comes back with something else damaged.

Usually its the original problem not being properly fixed, but in addition to that, SCRATCHES.

Once I had a giant scratch (looks more like a small dog bit into it) on the nose of the car.

Other times there will be dirt/smudges left on the leather interior (they apparently don't have a policy of covering the seats when their service guys work on the cars)

Today I just noticed a bunch of scratches on the interior metal frame of the vehicle door frame.

I can tell you that there is no way, I did this. This was either there when I originally bought the car (and never noticed it) or it was done by one of the Tesla Service Center authorized shops!

Honestly, I feel extremely hesitant taking my car in for further service, because I cannot trust these @#$@#$ to do it right without F@#$#@$G something else up!

I am tired of being their QC guy, and having to routinely check my own car to see where they may have done any new "damage".....

Omg...I am surprised that other people are having the same issues. I brought my car in for some windshield replacement and then I noticed that they scratched my bumper as well they dented my dashboard.