Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Always Breaking Something

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got through in the morning calling the service center. They said they would call me back after talking to the tech but I never got a call back.

I might just have to go in and ask to speak to the manager.

Update: (I also posted this in another thread to be transparent about my treatment and experience.)

I just got a call back form Santa Clara service center this morning. They told me they ordered a new seat and it will have to be custom made for my specific VIN (Its the older seat design). I'm relieved that they are taking steps to make it right.

It would have been very difficult to get into that car every morning with that glaring reminder knowing that it was damaged in service.

I will reserve final judgement until we get the seat replaced and the little things fixed like missing rubber screw caps in the trunk.

Here is the update one month after my seat was damaged. No new seat yet... the car was brought in to service again to fix the wipers they disconnected and the pano roof trim that fell off.

From SC Service Center:
"
I hope you are enjoying your Wednesday! Unfortunately our department who is taking care of assembling your seat is not being cooperative on providing an ETA. Our service manager is out of the office but when she does come back on Monday I will have her contact the necessary teams to see how we are able to provide more information for you. I understand as you mentioned, looking at that damage has become a reminder of this bad experience and I am working to find every avenue to get this rectified as soon as possible.

Thank you so much for your patience and understanding and I will provide any and all information necessary for you as I receive it.
"

Add this to my list of bad experiences at the service centers. This one is in the bay area. It will rename nameless if they address my issues.

Took our 2014 S85 in for 5 things. 1. Drive Unit, 2. Tail lights leaking, 3. Roof Rubber ripped up roof binding, 4. Yacht floor coming up, 5. power steering seems hard on comfort settings.

Well the car drives better, basically silent (quieter than our new 2017 90D, I guess due to no front motor), tail lights were upgraded to the newer version with a new chrome trim and backup lights.

However they left off some rubber grommets for screws in the tailgate and somehow managed to scuff up my passanger seat. I think they dripped some glue or something there and tried to clean it off. I suspect this because of all the trim prices replaced around the pano roof are basically glued on.

Aldo I found some black sticky gunk in the trunk probably from replacing all the glued on trim pieces...

View attachment 225562 View attachment 225563

Just an observation, it appears from looking through this thread that the problems seem to be overwhelmingly located on the west coast. Could that be due to the number of vehicles sold out there? My SC experiences in both PA and MD have been superb. Great service, never saw a tech touch my car without gloves on. Car is always cleaned. Have never seen a scratch.

I was feeling a slight vibration at 25-30 mph. Brought the car in. Tech took a ride with me. We got back and he said, "Don't like the feel of that", and they replaced my DU. The problem was fixed. When I got the car home, I opened the frunk and found that pieces were missing. Called the SC and offered to drive back tomorrow. No way the guy said, it's 50 miles and they sent a tech up the next morning to install the parts (just some missing rubber trim around the frunk).

I don't expect SC's to not make a mistake. It's what they do when that happens that counts.

Biggest Pain Points w/ Tesla Service:

. Inability to get a service appointment
. Once your car is in service, they take too long to resolve the problem
. Once you get the car back, often there's something else they broke.
. Back to service it goes...
. Back you go driving off in your loaner car...

Reactions: GreenT
I agree the SF Bay Area service centers seem swamped and these could just be growing pains. Unfortunately its taking its toll.

Still hoping they make it right eventually. I can't imagine how the service centers will manage when the model 3 comes to market

At least we aren't alone. The service center car wash can add scratches to the clear coat (I now write "no wash" on the window hanger).

What has improved this year are no dents or torn clear bra. Less work done on the EV is best. Taping the door seal entry name plate and draping a pillow case over the seat bottom helps. A thin extra floor mat keeps the original mats looking good.

Don't let home delivery of your repaired Tesla stop you from examining it carefully. Check the wheels, paint and seats for any possible damage.

I notice a recurring phenomenon.

Everytime my car goes into Tesla service for some warranty work, it comes back with something else damaged.

Usually its the original problem not being properly fixed, but in addition to that, SCRATCHES.

Once I had a giant scratch (looks more like a small dog bit into it) on the nose of the car.

Other times there will be dirt/smudges left on the leather interior (they apparently don't have a policy of covering the seats when their service guys work on the cars)

Today I just noticed a bunch of scratches on the interior metal frame of the vehicle door frame.

I can tell you that there is no way, I did this. This was either there when I originally bought the car (and never noticed it) or it was done by one of the Tesla Service Center authorized shops!

Honestly, I feel extremely hesitant taking my car in for further service, because I cannot trust these @#$@#$ to do it right without F@#$#@$G something else up!

I am tired of being their QC guy, and having to routinely check my own car to see where they may have done any new "damage".....
Which Service Center are you referring to?

Just an observation, it appears from looking through this thread that the problems seem to be overwhelmingly located on the west coast. Could that be due to the number of vehicles sold out there? My SC experiences in both PA and MD have been superb. Great service, never saw a tech touch my car without gloves on. Car is always cleaned. Have never seen a scratch.
I suspect it's just some SCs are better than others.
E.g. SC I use seems to be bad. "car washes? what's that", returned my car from service with new problems added (i.e. rattles that were not there, a door scratched), many previous ones not fixed.
There are other owners at my SC that had terrible experience.

I suspect it's just some SCs are better than others.
E.g. SC I use seems to be bad. "car washes? what's that", returned my car from service with new problems added (i.e. rattles that were not there, a door scratched), many previous ones not fixed.
There are other owners at my SC that had terrible experience.

Really sorry to hear that! I know the SC in MD is run by a guy who ran a Lexus service center prior to this. Seems to understand how an SC should be run.

Keep in mind I've never owned a rattle free car in my entire history of cars (which is getting up there in numbers). I think it's some weird mythical creature that I'll never have. I just hear about them on the internet, and in TV commercials.

I've had to Lexus vehicles that don't have any rattles. The first one was sold with 334K miles and still didn't have any rattles or squeaks.

I agree the SF Bay Area service centers seem swamped and these could just be growing pains. Unfortunately its taking its toll.

Still hoping they make it right eventually. I can't imagine how the service centers will manage when the model 3 comes to market

It has been quite a while but finally my damaged seat has been replaced after they ordered a new one built. The service center even washed the older drivers seat to get the colors to match better.

Santa Clara Service center finally did make it right. I wish we never had to deal with the damaged seat in the firs place but now we can put this behind us.

Update:
note - Southern California Anecdote

My car was (finally) serviced back in May 2017 for various warranty issues:
a. Bad side mirror
b. Major paint scratch issues (from prior service blunders)
* Note - These scratched came from the body shop or Tesla service being careless.
c. The cruise control / TACC wasn't functioning (see --- Can I Please Get Basic Cruise Control Enabled on my New Tesla )

Got the car back in a month...

The Good:
. The paint issues were fixed after several back and forth w/ the body shop
. The side mirror was fixed and properly operational
. The front car sensors had to be replaced for cruise control and TACC to function properly (apparently it was broken from day 1 delivery)

The Bad:
. Took much too long to get these issues resolved.
. Noticed another scratch on the interior of the dash. It was never there before.. (bummed)
. Knowing that they sold me a car w/ bad cruise control and non-functioning TACC from the get go... struggling with it for 5 months...(reps telling me I need to drive it MORE to make it work..)

Current:
I had to go back for other warranty issues that's related to seat/leather quality.

1. I requested a Tesla Loaner
2. Had issues w/ the side mirror from May 2017 making rattling noises
* Rattling noise only happens when I shut the door with the Windows Down
* I have NEVER done this on my car, so I never noticed.
* Looks like service didn't install the side mirrors properly from May 2017.

Some Observations:
. They had no Tesla Loaners available. Only ICE Cars
. Tesla service reps ask alot of questions that should be already in their system, like (why are you here?)
. The local Hertz rep was onsite
. The local Hertz rep was a female, dressed like a customer, wearing tank tops and yoga pants.. frankly, she looked like a mom going for a walk around the block or picking up her mail. Wouldn't have guessed she was a "rep". On another note, she was friendly and cute.
. The coffee machine wasn't functioning properly. No water in the coffee machine.

Take Aways:
. Tesla tries really hard to accomodate and service their customers
. Their service dept. continues to struggle w/ getting things right the first time
. Availability of Tesla Loaners continues to be an issue
. Customers must continue to do their own QCs after getting their cars back from service.