Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Always Breaking Something

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we all have our own "limits" and perceptions.

And it's challenging to communicate that through a forum..

I agree.

I also wanted to state that I was speaking in generalities above in my response to the other poster. I don't know you nor your situation beyond what you've shared and none of that was directed at you individually.

I hope things get straightened out for you and your ownership experience takes a turn for the better.

Dania SC knows me well ... techs always manage to cause a problem ...

1. Mild scratches on the old MS nose cone they had to remove.
2. Chunked a wheel when replacing tire
3. long scratch on wheel well ... thank God for Isreal (detail guy at SC)
4. Dime sized chunk (again) on wheel when replacing TPMS
5. New MS ... ding on wheel well when changing tires.

They've always taken responsibility ... but come on. There's really no excuse for this when most techs come from other dealer high end service dept.'s.

I appreciate being able to vent through TMC, so I don't have to yell at the local Tesla Service Reps, who are frankly pretty clueless themselves.

Oh, you don't have to yell at your local service reps, someone else is doing it. Posting here, with your location on your profile, pretty much ensures that some manager at Tesla has been notified of the negative comments regarding your service center. I'm sure they're well aware at this point.

Dania, huh? Yea. They're (nice and) clueless.

My car came back from there ... they broke car (parts) while in service.
Now they want me to pay ANOTHER $200 to fix it. H3ll no. You broke it, you fix it.

If I could find a buyer (at the right price) for mine I'd dump it. Never EVER expected this kind of bad service!

Oh, you don't have to yell at your local service reps, someone else is doing it. Posting here, with your location on your profile, pretty much ensures that some manager at Tesla has been notified of the negative comments regarding your service center. I'm sure they're well aware at this point.

I don't know about that....

What I imagine is everyone looking at each other, and shrugging their shoulders...

Not because they don't care.. but because they are powerless to do anything...

Reactions: TMobe and GreenT
I don't ding other peoples' doors. I'm careful and considerate.

That said, I also don't throw a hissy fit and demand the first born son of someone who dings mine.

Nor do I expect five star fine dining from a fast casual restaurant and then complain loudly when I don't get it.

I find life to be much more enjoyable when your expectations are realistic. I guess one person's "weak and submissive" is another's "not being a privileged whiny prick".
My door ding analogy was more a generalization and a bit "off the cuff", and for that I apologize.

I'm all for realistic expectations, but really, do we need to expect to get our cars back from service with visible damage? As a whole, I love Tesla and refuse to lower the bar for them that much.

Reactions: Russell and GreenT
Dania, huh? Yea. They're (nice and) clueless.

My car came back from there ... they broke car (parts) while in service.
Now they want me to pay ANOTHER $200 to fix it. H3ll no. You broke it, you fix it.

If I could find a buyer (at the right price) for mine I'd dump it. Never EVER expected this kind of bad service!
And back in it goes for service ... to fix one part.
Comes out. Flat bedded to me at their insistence.
Still not fixed.
What is this company's problem???

And back in it goes for service ... to fix one part.
Comes out. Flat bedded to me at their insistence.
Still not fixed.
What is this company's problem???

What is this company's problem? From my experience it's been poor design, lack of durability testing, products released before they're ready, poor QA/QC, disgruntled factory workers, high executive turnover, poor parts management, poor training, poor communications, over worked SC staff, lack of SCs, a culture that values short term delivery goals or quality.

But that's just me and my observation.

Tesla buyers are all beta testers and the service centers are an extension of the factory.
Shove the car out the door to hit the quarterly # to pump the stock up and worry about the rest later.
Model 3 will be an absolute shitshow..

What is this company's problem? From my experience it's been poor design, lack of durability testing, products released before they're ready, poor QA/QC, disgruntled factory workers, high executive turnover, poor parts management, poor training, poor communications, over worked SC staff, lack of SCs, a culture that values short term delivery goals or quality.

But that's just me and my observation.

I seriously believe that when Model 3 delivers this year (if) and the SC's have yet to improve drastically, the "public" will not accept this (not that I am) and one of Elons companies will finally end.
But other companies will pick up the slack (Tesla's plan?) ... or will they?
I really feel sorry for ppl who are holding onto TSLA thinking it will maintain its high and climb further. It can only crash with this incredible lack of QC.

Tesla called me today to confirm my car went in for one thing, had annual maintenance performed and completely overlooked the problem it went in for.

I just WISH I could sell mine and find a comparable car! Someone, please put Tesla out of their misery before they implode on their own!?

While it is true the car has less moving parts and therefore expected to have less chance of break down.

Unfortunately poor QC and service, parts availability are big hurdle to overcome, especially the mass market Model 3 customers may not be as forgiving as the current luxury niche market. For instance, I took delivery last week, before delivery they have to replace the windshield but the guy didn't do a good job, so air leaks, frame and interior trim piece left with glue; initial SA said it needs to be replace again - right 24 hours two windshields but it needs to wait for 4-6 weeks for part ! - imagine if 2% of model 3 owners have to go through this.

The service manager asked to pick up the car and try to 'plug' the gap, that fix improved the wind noise but I am not convinced it is 100% as I can still hear a little noise over 45 mph, then after they washed the car, someone attached the temporary tag outside the license frame instead of inside, not tightening the screws thus the whole thing is flapping making annoying noise. What I really surprised is the tech who deliver the car didn't mention it - of course he cranked up the music while driving. The invoice say it's good will to fix the windshield but is it really good will or more accurately repair a defect and poor workmanship ?

• Informative
Reactions: SocalMS
Wow, QC / inspections in Fremont sound terrible! They should be FAR better today than 4 years ago when I took delivery.

I don't understand why Elon is "allowing" this. Oh yes I do .. he has no time between SpaceX, that Solar Company, four kids and what's her name? Amber?

Delegate? Stop micro managing?

Sorry to go below the belt but come on, Elon, you're making us early adopters look really naive! We bought into the dream hook, line and sinker.

This is NOT beta testing.

• Informative
Well I don't want to pile on, but I'll tell my story. New x in Dec. It's been in service 7 weeks and counting, still there. 2 new windows. Both replacements showed up broken. Two times while at service it was hit. Once a FW door with a dent/scratch. Once the front bumper hit by another worker driving by. Once it came back with a flat. I know the loaner better than mine. Also had no AC fluid/ nonfunctional AC. Bad charge cord replaced. I would be furious if I didn't have the loaner. Still wonder if the value is lower because of the multiple paint jobs. Should I get mad and ask for a new car/compensation? As a minor stockholder and believer in the big plan, I do worry that this can't go on forever like this. The service center is always nice and tries hard. Not sure what the future holds for my car or the company. My prior 10 yr old Toyota truck never once had an issue or went to service.

Dave
The service centers are always VERY nice. Friendly. Pleasant. etc. But all that is lost with their lack of training. tools and communications.
Isn't your loaner crippled in Valet mode? And do you have remote access to it? I never do with my loaners. I too have practically "named" my loaners.
At least we are getting loaners.
I too used to be a stockholder. Gave that up ages ago. I used to sing praises of the TSLA and the car to all.
My former LAND ROVER, the worst brand ever, got better service. :(

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Mark Z and SocalMS
While it is true the car has less moving parts and therefore expected to have less chance of break down.

Unfortunately poor QC and service, parts availability are big hurdle to overcome, especially the mass market Model 3 customers may not be as forgiving as the current luxury niche market. For instance, I took delivery last week, before delivery they have to replace the windshield but the guy didn't do a good job, so air leaks, frame and interior trim piece left with glue; initial SA said it needs to be replace again - right 24 hours two windshields but it needs to wait for 4-6 weeks for part ! - imagine if 2% of model 3 owners have to go through this.

The service manager asked to pick up the car and try to 'plug' the gap, that fix improved the wind noise but I am not convinced it is 100% as I can still hear a little noise over 45 mph, then after they washed the car, someone attached the temporary tag outside the license frame instead of inside, not tightening the screws thus the whole thing is flapping making annoying noise. What I really surprised is the tech who deliver the car didn't mention it - of course he cranked up the music while driving. The invoice say it's good will to fix the windshield but is it really good will or more accurately repair a defect and poor workmanship ?

I forgot to mention the right headlight didn't light up (after they update from 60->75) and have to go back to SC the next day to fix it within 24 hours of delivery, there are protection plastic sheet glues left on the rear quarter panel and it took me a good 30 minutes to clean it up.

If I have to take delivery again, I will take 120 points inspection check list with me and insist on test drive before taking delivery.

Last edited:
It sounds like they are having trouble hiring and/or retaining competent employees. You would think they would have their pick from the cream of the crop. I would imagine the idea of working for Tesla would appeal to a great many people. Are they overworked and under paid? Do they have a random drug testing program set up? If they have a bunch of stoners working there, that would explain all of the fender benders and lack of attention to detail. I wonder how old the average service technician is. Maybe it's just lack of experience.

Add this to my list of bad experiences at the service centers. This one is in the bay area. It will rename nameless if they address my issues.

Took our 2014 S85 in for 5 things. 1. Drive Unit, 2. Tail lights leaking, 3. Roof Rubber ripped up roof binding, 4. Yacht floor coming up, 5. power steering seems hard on comfort settings.

Well the car drives better, basically silent (quieter than our new 2017 90D, I guess due to no front motor), tail lights were upgraded to the newer version with a new chrome trim and backup lights.

However they left off some rubber grommets for screws in the tailgate and somehow managed to scuff up my passanger seat. I think they dripped some glue or something there and tried to clean it off. I suspect this because of all the trim prices replaced around the pano roof are basically glued on.

Aldo I found some black sticky gunk in the trunk probably from replacing all the glued on trim pieces...

IMG_0493.JPG
IMG_0491.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: MS16
Add this to my list of bad experiences at the service centers. This one is in the bay area. It will rename nameless if they address my issues.

Took our 2014 S85 in for 5 things. 1. Drive Unit, 2. Tail lights leaking, 3. Roof Rubber ripped up roof binding, 4. Yacht floor coming up, 5. power steering seems hard on comfort settings.

Well the car drives better, basically silent (quieter than our new 2017 90D, I guess due to no front motor), tail lights were upgraded to the newer version with a new chrome trim and backup lights.

However they left off some rubber grommets for screws in the tailgate and somehow managed to scuff up my passanger seat. I think they dripped some glue or something there and tried to clean it off. I suspect this because of all the trim prices replaced around the pano roof are basically glued on.

Aldo I found some black sticky gunk in the trunk probably from replacing all the glued on trim pieces...

View attachment 225562 View attachment 225563

So unfortunate, especially in the Bay Area.. with so many Teslas around.. service centers always swamped..

Have you tried talking to the manager?

Hopefully they'll get things right the second time around.. although, it should have been done right from the beginning.

Good luck!