Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service and how they treat owners, really disappointed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea, I've been waiting to hear back about my replacement hood for months now. I bought a brand new Model X in July. It was delivered with a number of issues, but one of them on the due bill list they have not fixed yet, which is related to my hood. There are 3 indentations in the hood from manufacturing defects, and the service person said they don't see any issues, but it is definitely noticeable in certain angles. They took it in and all they ended up doing was marring up the hood paint. There are now swirls all over, and they told me they would get me a new hood. Last I heard it was in the body shop being painted in September, but I haven't heard back from Tesla Burlingame ever since and I've emailed and texted them, and scheduled a separate mobile service to try to get a hold of them. I've been wanting to ceramic coat the car, but have been waiting for the replacement hood first. Still haven't heard from them yet and not sure what I can do...

Yea, I've been waiting to hear back about my replacement hood for months now. I bought a brand new Model X in July. It was delivered with a number of issues, but one of them on the due bill list they have not fixed yet, which is related to my hood. There are 3 indentations in the hood from manufacturing defects, and the service person said they don't see any issues, but it is definitely noticeable in certain angles. They took it in and all they ended up doing was marring up the hood paint. There are now swirls all over, and they told me they would get me a new hood. Last I heard it was in the body shop being painted in September, but I haven't heard back from Tesla Burlingame ever since and I've emailed and texted them, and scheduled a separate mobile service to try to get a hold of them. I've been wanting to ceramic coat the car, but have been waiting for the replacement hood first. Still haven't heard from them yet and not sure what I can do...

It gets worse... I had 3 paint defects at delivery that I had documented, then requested when I had to take my X in for service shortly after delivery to make sure they're documented. Told both times yep, taken care of. I wanted them documented so when I did my lease turn in I didn't get dinged for them... Found out recently that neither the delivery team nor the service center documented these and Tesla refuses to document them now since, and I quote, "how do we know you didn't cause these and want us to cover them?"... So I just paid a detailer a nice penny to remove them, or at least make them very hard to notice... Having been screwed over by a lease turn in once by Tesla, I'm not going to allow it to happen twice. This company is full of incompetent thieves and I really, really, really hope that by the time my X lease is up, there's something else available... I can't imagine going back to ICE...

Jeff

Yes Tesla is full of incompetent thieves, I have a delivery promise in writing that they did not give me for more than 9 months but kept promising in writing that they would. Then after saying it would be done very soon someone called and told me they were not going to honor it and all the other people that made the promise and confirmed it "were to authorized" to make it. After 40 plus wasted hours and assurances they basically told me tough luck. I guess you need to get Elon's approval for anything to be valid these days. Delivery is worst than a used car lot.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Yikes, this is a pretty negative thread. These stories seem awful. My experience with the Tesla mobile service here in North Carolina was super. The tech was super knowledgeable and answered all kinds of questions I had. My previous service experience has been with Chevrolet (awful about scheduling) and Toyota (they try really hard but you won't get to talk to a mechanic). Recently I've taken a Mercedes (B-class electric) in for service and they really do seem to try harder. Everyone from the guy opening the door to the salesmen and service advisor were really nice. Twice they've dragged over the mechanic from the shop area to answer questions.

If that's what you're used to, then I can see how you'd be really burned up at these Tesla experiences. I think Tesla is still undecided on whether the mobile thing is the answer or beefing up conventional service centers. From these stories it sounds like they need to make up their mind and get on with it. Elon is a really smart guy. Hopefully he'll focus on this like he said he would.

But let's cut the newest US car company in 100 years a little slack and hope for the best.

I waited 9 months for my post delivery “owed items”. They did finally perform the work. But by the time they did it, I was just assuming it would never get done.

they had to perform the work in my case because it was written in the bill of sale documents. They did try to wriggle out of it, but the documents being present made that hard for them.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Yikes, this is a pretty negative thread. These stories seem awful. My experience with the Tesla mobile service here in North Carolina was super. The tech was super knowledgeable and answered all kinds of questions I had. My previous service experience has been with Chevrolet (awful about scheduling) and Toyota (they try really hard but you won't get to talk to a mechanic). Recently I've taken a Mercedes (B-class electric) in for service and they really do seem to try harder. Everyone from the guy opening the door to the salesmen and service advisor were really nice. Twice they've dragged over the mechanic from the shop area to answer questions.

If that's what you're used to, then I can see how you'd be really burned up at these Tesla experiences. I think Tesla is still undecided on whether the mobile thing is the answer or beefing up conventional service centers. From these stories it sounds like they need to make up their mind and get on with it. Elon is a really smart guy. Hopefully he'll focus on this like he said he would.

But let's cut the newest US car company in 100 years a little slack and hope for the best.

Aaaaaand here it is, the obligatory “my mobile tech talked to me and smiled and screw you all with all your problems, Tesla is great” post :).
Very surprised it took 2 pages to see a post like that.

I gave up hope on having Tesla reply to any of my communication requests. I ended up fixing the squeaks in my Model X on my own. I'll probably also fix the rubber door trim around the Falcon doors on my own as well if the next service visit they tell me water raining down onto my kids is "in spec".

I love the car, but Tesla customer service has been absolutely horrible from the moment I put down my $2500 deposit last September until now. I've never owned a BMW, MB or Lexus so I don't expect (nor do I care for) somebody opening the doors for me at a dealership. I don't need my car detailed or washed or vacuumed. I don't need coffee or donuts. Failure to answer phone calls and emails/texts regarding warranty work is grounds for a lawsuit (yeah this coming from a physician who detests trial lawyers). The company is behaving in a negligent manner when not addressing concerns of its customers. Sure some owners shouldn't be calling 50 times a day about small hair that got embedded in their paint, but by ignoring all phone calls they're putting people's safety in jeopardy possibly by having owners delay important safety concerns.

Tesla seems to be focused on their mission statement of producing sustainable transport. To that effect I think they've pretty much wrote off Model S/X buyers to focus on getting more BEVs out there on the road. Good for the planet (assuming they don't end up as junkers) but sucks for us high margin guinea pigs.

I was going to sell my Honda Odyssey and replace it with a Model X or Y to go all electric, but I can't see myself doing that with Tesla's current state of neglect. Sadly all other auto makes are just as neglectful - except in the design phase and not in the post sales support phase.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and rjdoc74
Tesla service used to be excellent but the last years I noticed a mentality change.
This is not the fault of the people working there but this are orders from management. The service they use to give cost an arm and a leg for Tesla I know that but sell quality than and don't deliver a faulty car that people have to bring in every couple of weeks.
My MX is delivered from the factory in a state that even the sale guy was ashamed he had to hand it over like that.
Tesla comment on that was SEC will fix it. Do it right the first time

It does not help the share price as is costs thousands of sales and considerable bad PR.

You can see from the last quarters earning, overall sales dropped 39% in the U.S. during the third quarter, the company is seeing robust growth on “services and other” revenue. "Service and other" is basically them screwing us by charging us on something that should be fixed by warranty. Or calling it "within specs" and not attending to it.

For the first time in 7 years as a Tesla owner, I recommended a few times recently to avoid Tesla vehicles until they get better either in quality or service.

My friends and family get mad for me, and wonder why I'm not more upset about this or that. I may still be a Tesla hopeful, But they have all chosen to purchase other brands. Could have been Tesla customers, but they were turned off.

I prefer the technology based approach to service. I scheduled svc via app. Picked my date and time. I typed a comprehensive description of the problem via the app along with a youtube video link showing the problem. They texted me prior to the appt. with details. Texted back and forth several times in a very timely manner to answer my questions. I showed up on my scheduled time. They knew I was coming and greeted me. The first of 2 visits a loaner was not available. They gave me a $100 uber credit per day via the app. I received and sent text messages with prompt communications while my car was being worked on. The app notified me when my car was ready for pickup. My second visit in this repair sequence due to parts availability was with the same efficient process. Bonus this time they had a loaner for me.

I prefer the new tech approach to schedule service, provide updates, and communications. It is much quicker and easier. I have had the very hands on service when I first received my X 3 years ago. It was more personal but slower since all communications were via phone calls. Once you embrace innovation to this approach, you might find it to be more efficient. My advice is to try to capture the issue on video or be very detailed via writing. Phone call communications get lost when repeated to techs. If they cannot diagnose or see the issue in progress, they cannot fix.

I have always used the Houston North location for service and have never had an unsatisfactory visit. I would assume quality service is affected by who is managing the location. Poor service is usually a management issue locally. That observation has been true for the many years dealing with car repairs. If you have had bad experiences with the same location, try another. I know this isn't an option for everyone.

Sounds like you had an ideal tech experience.

warning frustrated rant follows.
<Rant>
I can only relay my experience, not speaking for anyone else. When I had to schedule an appointment, the iPhone app didn’t work, iPad app didn’t work, Always some server error, or the app just crashes. The web page scheduler, similar thing, it errors or just hangs. Half the time the web said, use the phone app, Because the web server is under maintenance. Tried texting, got the ‘this text isn’t monitored’ response. When calling, the voicemail box was full, all week. That’s after sitting on hold for a voicemail box!! Oh the automated phone system hung up on me a couple times, computers are rude. Emailing, no response. I used the feedback form to let them know the web, phone, text and app don’t work. No response there either. Finally get the web to successfully accept a schedule 2 weeks of attempting daily. Yea! 2 weeks out for an appointment. Text comes in, they need to order parts, I’m reschedule a week out, Text day before, states they have all the parts, make sure I arrive on time, I get Uber credit, great. Start driving to the SC, Got a text, Do not come to the SC! we don’t have parts, they need to reschedule. Tesla canceled my appointment, text saying they will notify me if they get parts. No need to contact them, they will contact me with a new appointment. A week goes by, no contact. I send emails, voicemails, texts. Nothing. Can’t respond on the app because they canceled it. I finally get an email response saying they had parts for awhile, someone was supposed to tell me to create a new schedule in the app. They can’t reschedule, have no idea why someone texted they could Or how they did it before. The app worked this time, but of course the app can’t hold more than a few items. Character limit. I had 5 or 6 issues to report. Only can squeeze 4 in before it stops letting you type.

Oh, they had no idea why the system told me I get Uber credits, they use enterprise rentals. But gave me a real loaner for my trouble.

they fix stuff, I check what they were supposed to do and go.

What’s more frustrating, is that there is no way to get ahold of them after the service is over if something isn’t right. Let’s say I get home and notice they mistakenly put a wrecked vehicles rim and wheel on my car. The SC is closed at this point. The app appointment ends. The texts no longer go to them, after the ticket closes, or so they claim. I leave a voicemail, not returned. I was able to schedule a mobile visit for 2 weeks out!! Included pics of the bad wheel. After 4 days of no response, I take off work and drove back up there, they apologize they lost my wheel. they order a new one to give me, but while doing that found my wheel and put it back on. I thought all was good. They cancel/close my future appointment.

oh and then I noticed my Tesla leaking oil, from a faulty repair. Took me a week to realize, yes, Electric cars can leak oil, but that’s on me. Slow drip at first, then big puddles. I texted, left a voicemail, email and Schedule with pics of the huge oil spills, another appointment, 3 weeks out, no options for leaking oil, nor follow up issue related to a recent visit option. No way to talk to someone and ask if this is urgent, is the car safe to drive, etc. Someone looked at my appointment, and pushed it out another day farther. Sent a text saying a new later date. I got a feedback survey on my experience. No sooner than I submitted this, I got a text saying come in ASAP for the oil leak, we need to fix it right away.

I have had much worse SC visits, but in the past I could talk real time with someone. The phone was always faster, and they would validate concerns better than text or email. I don’t mind embracing good technology, but Working in the tech field myself, I know when a company is using shoddy tech to cover up cost cutting vs improving the experience. I just need my car fixed when it’s broken. </Rant>

Last edited:
You can see from the last quarters earning, overall sales dropped 39% in the U.S. during the third quarter, the company is seeing robust growth on “services and other” revenue. "Service and other" is basically them screwing us by charging us on something that should be fixed by warranty. Or calling it "within specs" and not attending to it.

Yes, like rattles. Tesla spec is a car that has loose parts and you have to pay for sloppy assembly. They replaced my dash and left a nut under the pad which vibrates on some roads, I heard it fall leaving service. They expect me to pay top fix the issue. Elon's idea of good service is a pipe dream, he should work in the service center or take calls on the CS line.

Sounds like you had an ideal tech experience.

warning frustrated rant follows.
<Rant>
I can only relay my experience, not speaking for anyone else. When I had to schedule an appointment, the iPhone app didn’t work, iPad app didn’t work, Always some server error, or the app just crashes. The web page scheduler, similar thing, it errors or just hangs. Half the time the web said, use the phone app, Because the web server is under maintenance. Tried texting, got the ‘this text isn’t monitored’ response. When calling, the voicemail box was full, all week. That’s after sitting on hold for a voicemail box!! Oh the automated phone system hung up on me a couple times, computers are rude. Emailing, no response. I used the feedback form to let them know the web, phone, text and app don’t work. No response there either. Finally get the web to successfully accept a schedule 2 weeks of attempting daily. Yea! 2 weeks out for an appointment. Text comes in, they need to order parts, I’m reschedule a week out, Text day before, states they have all the parts, make sure I arrive on time, I get Uber credit, great. Start driving to the SC, Got a text, Do not come to the SC! we don’t have parts, they need to reschedule. Tesla canceled my appointment, text saying they will notify me if they get parts. No need to contact them, they will contact me with a new appointment. A week goes by, no contact. I send emails, voicemails, texts. Nothing. Can’t respond on the app because they canceled it. I finally get an email response saying they had parts for awhile, someone was supposed to tell me to create a new schedule in the app. They can’t reschedule, have no idea why someone texted they could Or how they did it before. The app worked this time, but of course the app can’t hold more than a few items. Character limit. I had 5 or 6 issues to report. Only can squeeze 4 in before it stops letting you type.

Oh, they had no idea why the system told me I get Uber credits, they use enterprise rentals. But gave me a real loaner for my trouble.

they fix stuff, I check what they were supposed to do and go.

What’s more frustrating, is that there is no way to get ahold of them after the service is over if something isn’t right. Let’s say I get home and notice they mistakenly put a wrecked vehicles rim and wheel on my car. The SC is closed at this point. The app appointment ends. The texts no longer go to them, after the ticket closes, or so they claim. I leave a voicemail, not returned. I was able to schedule a mobile visit for 2 weeks out!! Included pics of the bad wheel. After 4 days of no response, I take off work and drove back up there, they apologize they lost my wheel. they order a new one to give me, but while doing that found my wheel and put it back on. I thought all was good. They cancel/close my future appointment.

oh and then I noticed my Tesla leaking oil, from a faulty repair. Took me a week to realize, yes, Electric cars can leak oil, but that’s on me. Slow drip at first, then big puddles. I texted, left a voicemail, email and Schedule with pics of the huge oil spills, another appointment, 3 weeks out, no options for leaking oil, nor follow up issue related to a recent visit option. No way to talk to someone and ask if this is urgent, is the car safe to drive, etc. Someone looked at my appointment, and pushed it out another day farther. Sent a text saying a new later date. I got a feedback survey on my experience. No sooner than I submitted this, I got a text saying come in ASAP for the oil leak, we need to fix it right away.

I have had much worse SC visits, but in the past I could talk real time with someone. The phone was always faster, and they would validate concerns better than text or email. I don’t mind embracing good technology, but Working in the tech field myself, I know when a company is using shoddy tech to cover up cost cutting vs improving the experience. I just need my car fixed when it’s broken. </Rant>
Tech is great...until it fails. I heard they had issues when they first rolled it out. My experience was within the last month until yesterday. Seems they fixed it.