Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service - beware loan cars are not covid cleaned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla seem determined to make the service experience as difficult as ever, endless problems getting mine booked, re-booked, ridiculously long SMS message communication, claims of emails sent that were never received etc
However one particular aspect I find unforgiveable is that the loan car I received was supplied completely uncleaned. Scruffy and used is one thing, but no attmept whatsoever to wipe over contact surfaces with anti-bac is really unforgiveable, all the more so when the whole "experience" is now proudly announced as "contactless" for your protection.
Somebody at Tesla need to look at this urgently.
Message is - ensure you take your own anti-bacterial spray/wipes with you.

On the plus side the £60/day charge for the loaner has now been dropped again (this charge seemed really unreasonable when the ccar is only in for warranty work which either they should have got right in the first place or not got wrong at the previous service visit) - I assume they must have received an avalanche of similar complaints and changed the policy again. Caution - there's still a £2500 excess on the insurance though.

Reactions: Alan J
Had exactly the same standard of service in January. Loaner car had a MASSIVE bogey, complete with nose hairs coming out of it, stuck to the back seat bench. And one on the windscreen. Tesla Edinburgh. Pulled the service guy straight back to clean it! Disgusting. The car wasn't clean, never mind covid clean!

Maybe it's location specific? I had my M3LR in at Leeds yesterday for some warranty work....

1) The booking process was great - I called them after originally booking via the app to check I could have a courtesy car overnight as I live well over an hour from the SC, despite the work scheduled to be completed within one day and that was all sorted for me without issue (I actually went back yesterday evening as they were open until 7 and I didn;t have any late work meetings).

2) The courtesy car (S 85D - much prefer my M3!!) was very clean and had a pretty full charge.

Reactions: drewpost
Guess I was lucky at Edinburgh earlier this month (March 2021), ~5 year old silver model S was fine. But I was told the insurance excess was £3000.

I too preferred my M3 (although I did like the second display, wiper stalk controls, and wider rear seat for 3 in the back).

When I had a courtesy car in December, they never told me anything about any excess or charges. I had no paperwork at all about the courtesy car, nor signed anything, nor told anything. It was clean, but had clearly done a fair few miles.

They just gave me the key and said, you have free supercharger miles, see you tomorrow.

I wonder why it varies so much.

Reactions: Doose
When I had a courtesy car in December, they never told me anything about any excess or charges. I had no paperwork at all about the courtesy car, nor signed anything, nor told anything. It was clean, but had clearly done a fair few miles.

They just gave me the key and said, you have free supercharger miles, see you tomorrow.

Similar experience in 2 SC appointments I had since Dec.
Makes your think regarding that excess and even the daily charge (had a MX overnight with no charge).

Cant you use your own insurance for a loan car?
With direct line, I added a loner model S to my existing policy for around £20 for the week. You need to provide them with the cars value though, which I realised after I'd hugely over estimated which could have added to the cost.

If your insurance covers you fully comp for other cars, then it might not be necessary.

I think some of them are Tesla owned cars and some are through rental company agreements that they have (Enterprise) so they will have different arrangements.

Guess I was lucky at Edinburgh earlier this month (March 2021), ~5 year old silver model S was fine. But I was told the insurance excess was £3000.

I too preferred my M3 (although I did like the second display, wiper stalk controls, and wider rear seat for 3 in the back).
I think I had that last week. The thing is an absolute beater I would say. Some paint work problems, but the roof is noisy, the seals on the doors are gone and if you punch it, you can hear the telltail rattle from the front that it needs the CV joint thing sorted.

OTOH, it was pretty clean when I got it (in and out), was fully charged, air suspension, and has FSD, which I've wanted to play with for a while.

It's not bang up to date FSD, as it didnt do sign recognition or lights, but it was interesting to play with EAP. It seemed to pick up traffic and react to it much better than my 3. It would slow or ask for a lane change at about the right time, rather than the 3 which operates on a just in time basis. Don't know if it's the S, the FSD or the older FSD that is responsible tho.

Overall, wouldn't pay the approx £40k for it in the state it was in tbh, but would love the air suspension and FSD on the 3. Going back to the P- 3 with after market suspension really felt like driving a wee go-cart, whi h is worrying as the 3 isn't actually a small car!

Must have been a different ~5 year old Silver model S from Edinburgh, because the one I got to borrow at the start of March was on AP1 and didn't have FSD. There was some paint work needing doing though, especially bonnet front right. Still, good to know Edinburgh's courtesy cars are generally clean.

As to the insurance, they said I was welcome to use my own (I didn't).

Can confirm, Manchester Stockport are the biggest jesters around. I loaned a Model S from them around Jan time, diabolical the state of that car. My misses wouldn't even get in it smelt like someone had smoked about 60 a day in it and looked like it had been pulled out of the 80s. I ended up having to clean it all down myself.

Cars with them again for another 2 weeks (thanks to them not knowing how to order parts, yes that's right I don't have my own car for 2+ weeks now) this time they hired me a car from enterprise which thankfully was actually clean (different company so makes sense).

If you'd like to know anymore SC horror stories from Manchester let me know :D

I am a bit surprised with the 60£ charge. Never heard of this especially for warranty work. I had three loaners from SC Stockport. First model X which I kept for a month was in immaculate condition. This was a loan since on delivery day car had an unrepairable issue so I got another Vin. Next two times for warranty work I was given the same red model S. Not in great condition but it was clean. Covid clean i don't know. Drove it home with mask and gloves and gave it a good wipe.

I collected a loaner Model S from Edinburgh last week which smelled so bad inside that I drove the 30-odd mile trip home with the windows open. I slathered myself in hand sanitiser while driving and tried not to touch anything (especially my mouth/eyes) and then fully cleaned the car when I got home.

Collected my Model 3 today after warranty work and it was retuned filthy, including dirty footprints all around the interior.

Picking up a dirty car under normal circumstances is unforgivable. To do the same during a global pandemic where hygiene is one of the key battlegrounds is irresponsible and contemptuous.

I’d be curious to know what the HSE would make of it as this must cut across their Covid risk assessments.

I’m due a loaner from Stockport on Friday.

I’m not impressed either. This will be my second visit for faults reported nearly 6 months ago and my first Tesla loaner.
Best of luck mate, as with everything Tesla its pot luck. My car was meant to be fixed 2 weeks ago, then it was meant to be fixed Yesterday. They then attempted to tell me it will be 25th March. Keeping in mind the car doesn't charge anymore (BMC/CP/DC/AC) I drove the car over to them on last 9% and left it there.