Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Big Island

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys! I just now joined the community and currently I'm living on the Kona side of the Big Island. I don't have a Tesla yet but have been saving up since January back in 2020 so that I can put a good down payment towards a SR Model Y. Im only about a month or two away from reaching my goal but the closer I get the more that i'm starting to worry about different things. Recently I just heard about a friend of a friend who had to get their Tesla shipped to the service center in Oahu to get repaired and that the price of the total bill was unimaginable. My guess is to pay for towing on both islands both ways, freighting the car both ways and service repairs. The story was kind of vague and my friend didnt know too much details like whether it was in or out of warranty or what was replaced and covered but that just didn't sit too well in my gut. I know how Tesla is with QC, and with my current plan and goal financing with a down I'd be in good shape but if there was ever any kind of catastrophic failure of battery or powertrain or anything requiring shipping to Oahu I don't know what would be covered and not covered in warranty in terms of transportation and services. Im just scared of getting locked in and then getting stuck in that kind of a situation. Is anybody able to shed some light on this topic? Anything would be appreciated

I don't have any direct knowledge, but I know the local service center folks used to fly out to the neighbor islands with parts for repairs. In general, if the repairs are covered by warranty, I would think that Tesla would cover the repairs, either by coming to you, or (if it was serious enough), taking the car back to Oahu.

There is mobile service on the Big Island. If it’s something they can’t fix, Tesla will have the car shipped to Oahu.
Thanks for the reply, yeah luckily i actually had a guy come into my work today as well that owns a model s and i also asked him and he said there was a mobile ranger on the hilo side. The one thing im worried about though is if they will make you pay for the transportation of the vehicle to and from the honolulu center in warranty. I did look on the tesla website in the warranty section and it does say they will cover bringing your car to a service center if its within 500 miles of one but hawaii i feel like hawaii is kind of an odd ball situation over the ocean even though oahu and the big island are only 200 miles apart. And i was curious as well if there were mobile service fees to come to you on or off warranty but i just was curious

and i tried calling tesla honolulu to ask them but i havent really had the time to try to get past their maze of a automated system without actually having a tesla linked to an account with my phone number

There are no fees for mobile service. And you won’t get thru to the service center. It’s all app based. If you are on Facebook, there is a big island tesla owners group that can probably answer all your questions.

There are no fees for mobile service. And you won’t get thru to the service center. It’s all app based. If you are on Facebook, there is a big island tesla owners group that can probably answer all your questions.
Thank you for clearing that up, now i just need to worry about if they cover the freight trip and towing under warranty or if theres going to be a service center on island in the near future. I always like to prepare for the worst just incase. Thanks so much!