Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service can't fix vibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Sarasota replaced tires. Driving to Kansas City, I noticed a vibration above 50 and got worse with more speed. Tesla KC rebalanced tires and checked alignment, checked suspension, wheels and drive train. No improvement. After several return visits to Tesla service, the tec told me they have no idea how to fix the car. Tesla service admits there is an annoying vibration. The car is an S 70D with 19" wheels and new Michelin tires.

Because Tesla can't fix my car it is no longer fun to drive. I've never had that response from any service shop. I've tried to contact Tesla Customer Service and they don't respond . Apparently that department has gone out of existence.

I'm really looking for some help.

I would take a look at the mating surfaces between the inside of the rim and the brake disc. If there are foreign objects between those you will get a vibration. That's something to look at before condemning the tires themselves.

The problem is: Tesla Service agrees there is a annoying vibration. However, they say they have no idea how to fix it. Tesla is the only rodeo in town. No other shop would touch a Tesla. I asked Tesla to replace the Michelins with another brand and they refused. What to do with a car that the Mfg. can't fix. ???

Tesla Sarasota replaced tires. Driving to Kansas City, I noticed a vibration above 50 and got worse with more speed. Tesla KC rebalanced tires and checked alignment, checked suspension, wheels and drive train. No improvement. After several return visits to Tesla service, the tec told me they have no idea how to fix the car. Tesla service admits there is an annoying vibration. The car is an S 70D with 19" wheels and new Michelin tires.

Because Tesla can't fix my car it is no longer fun to drive. I've never had that response from any service shop. I've tried to contact Tesla Customer Service and they don't respond . Apparently that department has gone out of existence.

I'm really looking for some help.
Something I have have read about: Try having a tire shop unmount the tires from the rim, rotate them (90 or 180 degrees), remount, then balance.

Hate that you are getting the run around. If they jack up the vehicle slightly and check front and back for vibration then you have it narrowed down. What a RCF.

M
I did suggest what you recommend . Tesla said that won't work as the traction control will make the wheels kick on and off. I'm thinking of selling the best car I've ever had because Tesla can't fix it. it's just stupid. I think Tesla could fix the vibration is they want to take the time to do so. I just don't want to own a car the mfg can't fix.

As others have suggested, try swapping wheels and tires to rule that out. Repair or replace the wheel if they are dented or damaged. Road force balance the wheels and/or inspect the acoustic foam of the tires (I don't really think you need them). If it's the not the wheels/tires, then I would look into the drive unit/bearings then wheel bearings/axle. I can't stand mechanics who quit early when it comes to diagnosis; I prefer "car doctors" who want to solve the problem.

Get your Michelin tires Road Force balanced. I had 4 new Michelin's once with the same problem, had them balanced 3 times with no luck. I finally took to a place that had a Hunter Road Force balance machine and it was discovered that 3 out of the 4 tires were out of spec. I had the dealer (not a Tesla) replace on warrantee the 3 out of spec tires and the vibration went away.

FYI, Tesla service did take tires and wheels from a loaner car and put them on my car. The result was it still vibrated only a entirely different vibration. The loaner car tires were not new and of mixed brand. Not a very good test. Tesla would not take tires and wheels from a new car for a fair test. I still think it must be tires as there was no vibration before the new tires were installed. It's just very disappointing that Tesla chooses not to make it right. I would not even think of buying tires from Tesla again.

Many years ago I had vehicle with similar symptoms. One of the CV drive shafts was failing at the part near the transmission and the shaft would get offset from center at speed. The vibration wasn't too bad but it was definitely noticeable. The shop figured it out by running the engine and wheels at speed while up on the lift. I don't know if that's easy to do with your Tesla but I'd think that the service center would have the capability to do that.