Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Center Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Service: MCU replacement

So my WiFi and Bluetooth had been screwy since I got my pre-owned 2016 S75. The cars been great otherwise and the WiFi issue was a pretty minor thing until you get a push for new software, etc. Then it becomes a game of connecting, losing connecting trying to reconnect while it's downloading the software. So I submitted a service request. They did some troubleshooting over OTA and suggested that I do a few things like removing anything from the USB ports. Of course this didn’t fix it so they scheduled a mobile tech to come out to look at it. He did some testing and signal measurements on the antennas it did indicate an open circuit, but wasn’t equipped to narrow it down to the antennas or the MCU so he scheduled a SC appointment for me.

Brought the car in on Friday Feb 14th and was told that if it something as simple as the antenna, it’ll be quick, an hour or two. If it’s the MCU it probably be the end of the day. I was not given loaner, but Uber vouchers to get around. Not a big deal if it’s just one day. Of course they didn’t finish that day (or likely even start) so they called towards the end of the day and said they’d need to keep the car over the weekend and at that point they offered a loaner (a Red MS75D which I’ll be writing a comparison to my MS75). Went to pick it up and kept it over the weekend. I was not given very much details other than the work has to be approved by engineers. No update until I asked them on Monday and it was still awaiting approval. My guess was that my car was stuck in a queue of data analysis by their folks and had been sitting there since Friday. I asked when approval by engineering might happen? They didn’t know. They finally notify me on Wednesday Feb19th that the car was moved into the service bay and that they’re working on it. When I asked for more details, they said they didn’t know; starting see a trend here. I picked up the car almost a week later on Feb 20th at 7:30pm. So I asked them if they knew what was done. They didn’t know. Reading the Invoice ($0-warranty covered) all of the notes that were put on it, all the way from the first text message contact, mobile service and SC service. It was all jumbled into one paragraph and really looked like it was written by an 8th grader and it was hard to tell which notes referred to which service call. The portion with the least amount of detail pertained to the time at the SC. It also wasn’t even obvious that they’d replace the MCU, but carefully looking at the line item for the re-manufactured MCU I was able to figure it out. Asking the clerk and service adviser wasn’t very helpful, again he didn’t really know much else beyond what I was able to read myself on the Invoice. So, it took a bit longer than promised, but they took care of the issues so I don’t really have an issue with that. But I really have to say, Tesla Service really needs to up their game and their personnel as far as processes and documentation. This was a similar experience with their sales team when I purchased the car. It just seems like they don’t have establish process that they can use to provide a consistent experience to customers. At the very least, training on how to take proper notes so that information is clear for themselves and the customer. I run a computer service department at a school district and we’re sticklers about notes. Anyone should be able to open any service ticket and know exactly what’s going on and what the next step is. Tesla staff were nice and attentive enough, but all the IDKs at this company is a bit unsettle. To be clear, I don't think this was a bad service experience. They've always been great at taking care of issues, especially mobile service. Just pointing out where Tesla Service can really improve.

And before anyone asks, no I was not able to upgrade to MCU2. It's not even an option if you wanted to pay for it. Believe me, I asked. I wouldn't mind hearing about other's experience.

Attachments

• upload_2020-2-21_10-25-35.png
    upload_2020-2-21_10-25-35.png
    604 bytes · Views: 147
Service: MCU replacement

So my WiFi and Bluetooth had been screwy since I got my pre-owned 2016 S75. The cars been great otherwise and the WiFi issue was a pretty minor thing until you get a push for new software, etc. Then it becomes a game of connecting, losing connecting trying to reconnect while it's downloading the software. So I submitted a service request. They did some troubleshooting over OTA and suggested that I do a few things like removing anything from the USB ports. Of course this didn’t fix it so they scheduled a mobile tech to come out to look at it. He did some testing and signal measurements on the antennas it did indicate an open circuit, but wasn’t equipped to narrow it down to the antennas or the MCU so he scheduled a SC appointment for me.

Brought the car in on Friday Feb 14th and was told that if it something as simple as the antenna, it’ll be quick, an hour or two. If it’s the MCU it probably be the end of the day. I was not given loaner, but Uber vouchers to get around. Not a big deal if it’s just one day. Of course they didn’t finish that day (or likely even start) so they called towards the end of the day and said they’d need to keep the car over the weekend and at that point they offered a loaner (a Red MS75D which I’ll be writing a comparison to my MS75). Went to pick it up and kept it over the weekend. I was not given very much details other than the work has to be approved by engineers. No update until I asked them on Monday and it was still awaiting approval. My guess was that my car was stuck in a queue of data analysis by their folks and had been sitting there since Friday. I asked when approval by engineering might happen? They didn’t know. They finally notify me on Wednesday Feb19th that the car was moved into the service bay and that they’re working on it. When I asked for more details, they said they didn’t know; starting see a trend here. I picked up the car almost a week later on Feb 20th at 7:30pm. So I asked them if they knew what was done. They didn’t know. Reading the Invoice ($0-warranty covered) all of the notes that were put on it, all the way from the first text message contact, mobile service and SC service. It was all jumbled into one paragraph and really looked like it was written by an 8th grader and it was hard to tell which notes referred to which service call. The portion with the least amount of detail pertained to the time at the SC. It also wasn’t even obvious that they’d replace the MCU, but carefully looking at the line item for the re-manufactured MCU I was able to figure it out. Asking the clerk and service adviser wasn’t very helpful, again he didn’t really know much else beyond what I was able to read myself on the Invoice. So, it took a bit longer than promised, but they took care of the issues so I don’t really have an issue with that. But I really have to say, Tesla Service really needs to up their game and their personnel as far as processes and documentation. This was a similar experience with their sales team when I purchased the car. It just seems like they don’t have establish process that they can use to provide a consistent experience to customers. At the very least, training on how to take proper notes so that information is clear for themselves and the customer. I run a computer service department at a school district and we’re sticklers about notes. Anyone should be able to open any service ticket and know exactly what’s going on and what the next step is. Tesla staff were nice and attentive enough, but all the IDKs at this company is a bit unsettle. To be clear, I don't think this was a bad service experience. They've always been great at taking care of issues, especially mobile service. Just pointing out where Tesla Service can really improve.

And before anyone asks, no I was not able to upgrade to MCU2. It's not even an option if you wanted to pay for it. Believe me, I asked. I wouldn't mind hearing about other's experience.

Glad to hear it worked out on the end. Could you say which SC you used? So I can add to my list of ones to avoid.

BTW, I can recommend Santa Barbara, and Oxnard looks like a good place too. Everwhere else north of LA, I was afraid to leave my car in the parking lot, let alone a service bay.