Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service center meltdown?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I`m starting to see signs of a total breakdown of the Norwegian service centers. No drive units available (for other than breakdowns maybe?), half a year+ wait for semi-serious issues, repairs being done over and over again. A year and a half ago Tesla flew in mechanics to Norway to help cope with demand. I think it`s time again before the whole service department breaks down.
I must say it`s a bit frustrating to read articles that claim Tesla has the greatest service ever, and serious issues are fixed immediately. When the situation is completely different here in Norway. If it gets worse I will delay my Model X reservation. Delviering a brand new model into this chaos would mean disaster....

Anyone have promising news about the situation here in Norway?

I have mixed feelings about this. I have indeed experienced the if not urgent you need to wait 2-3 months thing, but on the other hand, last time I took my car to a SC (Skøyen), which BTW was with an appointment given 3 months earlier, I asked them to check my drive unit because I had the whining sound that typically leads to replacement.
And they indeed confirmed it needed to be replaced, which happened overnight. Was I just lucky and they had a spare drive unit sitting there waiting for me to show up?
Who knows... But I was pleasantly surprised by how fast they did it!

Reactions: dhrivnak
I have mixed feelings about this. I have indeed experienced the if not urgent you need to wait 2-3 months thing, but on the other hand, last time I took my car to a SC (Skøyen), which BTW was with an appointment given 3 months earlier, I asked them to check my drive unit because I had the whining sound that typically leads to replacement.
And they indeed confirmed it needed to be replaced, which happened overnight. Was I just lucky and they had a spare drive unit sitting there waiting for me to show up?
Who knows... But I was pleasantly surprised by how fast they did it!

If you got a new DU directly you've been lucky. The waiting list for new DU is looong. However, to me the most alarming fact is the half year wait to fix the car. 2-3 months is not what people experience nowadays. Browse Facebook or the Norwegian ev forum. Or call them to schedule an appointment. The wait is half a year. I've been hoping for an improvement. But it's going south. Quickly.

I am aware that the waiting list is huge. I have myself waited 3-4 months for a regular service appointment. The DU replacement was a pleasant exception, for sure.

It really is very surprising that they don´t invest in more SCs in a country like Norway...

I agree, it's worrying. The service situation makes me hesitant about recommending friends to buy a Tesla.

My car got a new DU, but it started whining immediately afterwards.

Well, new service centres are coming. Kristiansand and Brummundal has recently opened, and Tromsø and Bærum (Kolsås/Rud) is coming soon. Hopefully it will lead to expanded capacity.

But the worrying thing is that Tesla seems to have problems building cars that just work, without need of labour intensive service centres to fix things afterwards which the factory didn't manage to do correctly in the first place. This can't be cheap for Tesla, and must hurt profitability and owner satisfaction. It makes me wonder how they're going to cope with a more mass market car like Model 3.

Tesla HQ, are you listening?

I recommend you send your concerns about the drive units and service center appointment availability to [email protected]. I think that's primarily for US-based concerns but since their headquarters is in the US, it's probably best to start there, at the top.

Done! With the Model X one should expect some minor problems in the beginning. Immediate response from the service center was crucial when I got my Model S back in 2013. I see that expecting this in 2016 is highly unlikely.

Looks like the cars is breaking down faster than they can fix them?
Many of the large service centers is not possible to call and they don't answer emails. Tesla Norway have some serious issues and some of the service centers make more new issues than they fix :mad:

I had to give up my local SC and drive many hours to a small service center to get the issues I had fixed.

With that kind of service, or lack of, one would indeed hesitate to purchase a Tesla in Norway.
Yet I see them all over. Last year I counted 8 Teslas in Bodø (in 1 day) and a similar number in Trondheim.
How about the Tesla taxi cabs, do they have to park for months to get scheduled service?
Who is at fault, local management, or is Tesla USA unwilling to invest in infrastructure and facilities in Norway?
Supply and demand must be far apart. :crying:

Huttetu, ante Ikke at det sto så dårlig til hjemme i Norge.

Well guys, not all is bad out there. My door handle stopped working (handle slides out and the unlatch mechanism works, but only from inside). So, since having the driver´s door not opening from outside is a pain in the *ss, I sent an email to Skoyen SC (that was on Tuesday). The day after they contacted me asking if an apointment on the very same Friday would do it. And here I am, at the SC - they are replacing the door handle.

Response was appropriate to the issue, I have to say. Nothing wrong here.

BUT, of course, waiting times for regular service appointments are mad, I am not discussing that ;)

Basically you got lucky. The long wait is not isolated to ordinary service like you claim. It`s far too easy to find service experiences proving otherwise on facebook, elbilforum and other sources. But of course - being unable to open the driver door is pretty close to unusable car, so it should be in the same category as DU breakdown.

I feel your pain but fortunately I am not seeing this with the Charlotte NC service center in the USA. They have been responsive for me.

Yes the situation in the US seems quite different. And it`s frustrating to read all the sunshine stories from the US (and the sunshine state :) when the situation is so different here.
Maybe it`s tougher weather in general that causes more issues with the cars here?

I know the thread is old, but after experiencing some improvement it’s now gone from bad to worse.

Tesla no longer answer when I send email. I’ve tried my SA and the service locations general email address, but no answer for weeks.
Maybe it’s their new trick to reduce service queues. Just stop registering cars for service? Guess another email to the head of service in Norway is necessary.

So, after Tesla spent 2,5 months fixing my car I finally got it back a week ago. Looks like new!

Couple of things weren’t fixed properly, but satisfied all in all.

What’s bad is that Tesla is getting hammered in the news. Journalist were finally tipped about the meltdown, showing cars in service center parking lots untouched since December 2017. People selling cars due to lengthy visits, lawyers demanding buybacks etc.

Hope US management sees this and act. The expected meltdown seems to be a fact now in some locations.

So, after Tesla spent 2,5 months fixing my car I finally got it back a week ago. Looks like new!

Couple of things weren’t fixed properly, but satisfied all in all.

What’s bad is that Tesla is getting hammered in the news. Journalist were finally tipped about the meltdown, showing cars in service center parking lots untouched since December 2017. People selling cars due to lengthy visits, lawyers demanding buybacks etc.

Hope US management sees this and act. The expected meltdown seems to be a fact now in some locations.

10 weeks in Tesla for repairs? Why so long? Did you have an accident with the car?
How much time did it take before the accepted you in for the repair since you called?
Did you get a loaner?