Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Center needs to expand fast....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, three weeks is a while to wait for this, and you should tell them that when you go there. Also, you could try just going to the center in the morning one day and see if they can fit you in..

The other day I went to Dallas SC to get few things checked. Apparently the 1800 Tech support I called did not inform service center and they had no clue when I went there.

Secondly they told me that they were booked for 3 weeks.

I was o.k with the second part and I was not thinking of getting work done however I was disappointed that they had no clue when I arrived.

I don't know about other service centers but dallas appears to be really small in terms of space and personnel

Just my 2 cents

The other day I went to Dallas SC to get few things checked. Apparently the 1800 Tech support I called did not inform service center and they had no clue when I went there.
That's strange, because the times I've called to arrange service in Austin the person I spoke to didn't schedule a day but rather had someone from the Austin service center call me back to do that. Communication is bad, though (we seem to say that a lot about Tesla) as the information the Austin service person had is never what I gave to the person I spoke to in California. It's literally playing the game "telephone". I know we can't call the local service centers directly because of the Texas law protecting the auto dealer cartel (don't get me started on that-- I was at the HB1653 hearing this week) but they do need to improve the communication between service headquarters and the local service centers in Texas.

With regards to space, I heard that Austin will be moving to a much larger building soon, so maybe Dallas will expand soon too.

Drop the battery to change a ball joint? Yikes! I'll have to take a closer look at the skateboard the next time I'm at the Natick Mall (oh, excuse me, "Collection").

I thought the Mini Cooper was a pain to do the inner ball joints - you have to drop the front subframe to get access to the bolts on top of it that hold in the inner ball joints.

Got my car back today and the squeak is gone:

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
FRONT AFT LINK SUSPENSION 1 ASSEMBLY (6007997-00-D)

As usual great service. Their only issue is they're overworked and sometimes making up for shortcomings in manufacturing.

Dedham can't come online soon enough.

Meanwhile i'm hoping I don't have to go back for a year :)

We were just at Watertown, MA picking up our car :biggrin: and were quite impressed by the number of Teslas there and the lack of space. I'm not sure that's a viable location given the lack of parking and bay space. There was almost no free space at all in the parking area.

@alset

Based on the info I have, there is no set date and there is a chance that it might not open before year end, there is no set date yet.

@RDoc

My car is scheduled to go in next week and after I emailed them a list with 7 things they need to look on the car, got a response that they will probably move me further in the future as they'll need more time to work on my car, while I understand that completely, it's kind of frustrating that my car won't go in the shop soon and I've been waiting about a month now.

We were just at Watertown, MA picking up our car :biggrin: and were quite impressed by the number of Teslas there and the lack of space. I'm not sure that's a viable location given the lack of parking and bay space. There was almost no free space at all in the parking area.
Once Dedham opens, I'll be interested to see if Tesla closes down Watertown. So far, I've heard that's not the plan, but it's NOT a great location. Perhaps they'll find a second big location, e.g. Nashua NH, to complement Dedham.

Once Dedham opens, I'll be interested to see if Tesla closes down Watertown. So far, I've heard that's not the plan, but it's NOT a great location. Perhaps they'll find a second big location, e.g. Nashua NH, to complement Dedham.

My guess (and hope, since it's 15 minutes from my home) is that Watertown remains but primarily focused on service, while new car prep and deliveries and trade-ins move to Dedham along with some service.

Since the D introduction Watertown's lot has been full of new cars as well as some trade ins. Add unloading a car carrier into the mix and it's a real challenge. But if they stuck to service it would be adequate and convenient to Boston and many nearby suburbs. It was the service portion of a large Ford dealer nearby until they built a much larger combined facility.

@alset
Based on the info I have, there is no set date and there is a chance that it might not open before year end, there is no set date yet.

The space is vacant, accruing property tax bills, lease payments, etc. Versus a few parking spaces waiting for supercharge stalls, not many businesses squander property like this. Installing superchargers long after a service/sales center could be another matter.

This got me thinking... There's a possibility I may move to NH prior to my X showing up. How does Tesla do deliveries to customers in the northern 3 NE states (where sales tax is lower than MA's 6.25%)?

You don't want to go pick up the car at Watertown if you live in NH. Aside from the logistics of the pickup, taking possession of the car in MA triggers a sales tax event on MA's books, regardless of your state of residence or the car's state of registration. I'd be beyond annoyed if I went to pick up my car and found $5k-$6k tacked on for the pleasure of taking delivery in Taxachusetts.

This got me thinking... There's a possibility I may move to NH prior to my X showing up. How does Tesla do deliveries to customers in the northern 3 NE states (where sales tax is lower than MA's 6.25%)?

You don't want to go pick up the car at Watertown if you live in NH. Aside from the logistics of the pickup, taking possession of the car in MA triggers a sales tax event on MA's books, regardless of your state of residence or the car's state of registration. I'd be beyond annoyed if I went to pick up my car and found $5k-$6k tacked on for the pleasure of taking delivery in Taxachusetts.

I wasn't aware that if you pickup your car in MA but live in NH you're subject to sales tax, that's quite annoying and makes no sense whatsoever. It might be worth putting the car on a tow truck and get delivery in the Salem NH mall for example, $150-200 tow service is well worth the cost compared to the absurd $6k sales tax you will be hit with for just picking up your car...

Neither Tesla or MA will charge NH residents state sales tax or registration fees. It might seem a little convoluted, but this was my experience from a year ago. A couple of days prior to delivery I wired my final payment to CA. My vehicle paperwork shows a dealer transfer occurred between Tesla Motors Inc. in Paramus NJ and Tesla Motors NY LLC. While in NY the vehicle was issued a 30 day temporary registration and a NY plate. The car was then delivered to Watertown for pickup. The only issue we experienced was with the Certificate of Origin. The NH DMV didn't like the stamped signatures from Elon and the New York dealer. Our DS in Watertown was helpful getting a new certificate, which Tesla overnighted.

I'm on board with Robert's speculation. Nashua would be a great location. When I picked up my car last year I met Tesla's regional sales manager Will Nicholas. He indicated that at some point Tesla would look to open a stand alone center in NH for sales and service.

Last edited:
Neither Tesla or MA will charge NH residents state sales tax or registration fees. It might seem a little convoluted, but this was my experience from a year ago. A couple of days prior to delivery I wired my final payment to CA. My vehicle paperwork shows a dealer transfer occurred between Tesla Motors Inc. in Paramus NJ and Tesla Motors NY LLC. While in NY the vehicle was issued a 30 day temporary registration and a NY plate. The car was then delivered to Watertown for pickup. The only issue we experienced was with the Certificate of Origin. The NH DMV didn't like the stamped signatures from Elon and the New York dealer. Our DS in Watertown was helpful getting a new certificate, which Tesla overnighted.

I'm on board with Robert's speculation. Nashua would be a great location. When I picked up my car last year I met Tesla's regional sales manager Will Nicholas. He indicated that at some point Tesla would look to open a stand alone center in NH for sales and service.
Now that I think about it, I may see a bit of a loophole here. If the car is technically sold to you by Tesla NY LLC, and shipped out of state for delivery, than you shouldn't owe anything to NY. If Tesla NY LLC has no physical presence in MA, they can't be forced to collect MA tax. So I think Tesla is in the clear.

However, the buyer still technically owes tax to MA if they take possession in MA. I don't know how they could prove it, but if you later tried to register the car in MA, they might try to hit you for past due sales tax if they suspect you originally picked up the car in MA. I've gone through this a couple of times (moving to MA with vehicles I purchased as a non-resident from a MA seller without paying tax), and they try really hard to make your life miserable. Guilty until proven innocent. The only way they would let me out of paying back due sales tax was if I could produce official-looking paperwork that clearly showed a non-MA delivery.

A location in Nashua would be ideal, and solve a lot of these potential headaches. Maybe DW Highway, with a Nashua supercharger as well?

The door handles—ah, there's a story. As I've heard the story told (by people who are in a position to know), everyone in Tesla engineering pushed for a simpler design. Even Aston Martin, which does have flush handles, has simple manual pull-outs. But, nooooo: Elon had a particular vision for how the handles were going to look and operate. At Tesla, everyone gets a vote, but only Elon's counts. Without a doubt the handles are the #1 failure point on the car....

Yeah, I agree that the door handles are a real turn-off for me. A simple, flush, manual handle would have done the job nicely at 20% of the cost with 99% fewer problems. Hopefully sanity will prevail with the X and 3.

Up until this point, I've had great experience with Tesla Service simply because I had no need to use it on an urgent issues and everything I've had to fix so far on the car wasn't a big deal.

Yesterday it all changed, when my front passenger's side door handle popped out and doesn't want to go back in and door is locked an unable to open and at the same time the TPMS system went out for 2nd time, which isn't a big deal and can wait, but door is kind of a big deal as I usually need to use it mostly on a daily bases.
I called in Tesla and the first appointment they were able to squeeze me in is May 2nd, which is 3 weeks from now to address my issues. I don't know under what rating they put locked doors, but to me it's one of those important issues.

It's the 2nd time I've had door handle issues, first time was on a rear door so I waited a month before it got fix, but this time it's a front door and makes me impatient.

FYI: The tips I was given from Tesla to try and fix the issue didn't work.

That being said I feel like Tesla needs to expand it's service centers in MA quickly, as there as so many cars on the road and service starts to lack behind sales. I wish I could go to my mechanic about this, but since Tesla doesn't want "outsiders" yet to work on their cars and mostly everything is software related, I'm kind of stuck with Tesla's horrible waiting list.
I remember waiting 5 months to replace my visors and waited both times I've had the car serviced for over a month to get an appointment.

I also feel that since those door handles are a new thing in cars generally speaking, should have increased warranty, my car is just over 20k miles and already with 2 handles broken and judging by the amount of people complained about them in the past it's a common thing that fails on the car.

Here is a photo of the handle:
View attachment 77225

If you guys have any experience in resolving similar issue, let me know :) Keep in mind the door is locked and unable to open and the LED is constantly powered and the red plastic piece inside has popped out 1/4" more than the other door handles.

same issue in MA.. 4 day wait and I cannot open the DRIVER DOOR!! The handle pops out but cannot actually open the door when I pull on it... Their response was pretty simple .. Sorry , wait until Friday ! I even offered to make the 1 hour drive to the service center but NO! Asked for a loaner car.. Still NO.. I have a P85 and dropped a decent amount of cash on it! Quite disappointed !