Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Center Removing Warranty/Upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

I need some assistance/clarification. I have a private sale Model S (DEC2014) I bought some time ago which had items replaced just last year out of pocket. Originally I had issues with the MCU last November and messages with Tesla who let me know that the MCU was still under a 1 year warranty as the MCU was replaced out of pocket. I have reached out to Tesla over 3 instances of issues with the MCU regarding Bluetooth being dropped, maps freezing, or even the screen just turning blank and I have to reset the MCU. Today they confirmed that the MCU needs to be replaced again, however stated that the only option I have is to purchase the new MCU2 for $1,500. I was very confused and questioned why I would be charged as I have confirmation the unit was replaced with a 1 year warranty back in June last year. The service center employee told me that it is procedure that any private sale vehicle does not carry over existing warranties or any upgrades purchased on the vehicle once it is sold via private party. Can anyone validate this for me, or show me this protocol he is talking about? That seems really ridiculous to me.

I appreciate it.

Show them page 4 of their own parts, body, and paint repair warranty.

1F504538-2E30-4164-B9EB-2F2A04FCCE95.jpeg

That said, even if they replace it again - the only real fix to this problem is to eventually pony up and buy the MCU2. MCU1 is just plain not up to the task of current firmware releases.

Show them page 4 of their own parts, body, and paint repair warranty.

View attachment 672409

That said, even if they replace it again - the only real fix to this problem is to eventually pony up and buy the MCU2. MCU1 is just plain not up to the task of modern software releases.
I completely understand, but he was even giving examples of them removing FSD, FUSP, and Ludicrous mode. I have FUSP and Ludicrous mode (purchased by prior owner). I am kind of worried now with everything he was saying they are going to take it off the vehicle. I am actually really shocked he was telling me that they can do all of that. He said that any upgrades or warranty that any other person purchased besides me doesn't belong to me which I have never heard of. If I bought a BMW with an M package I have never heard of needing to go back to BMW to have it removed because I didn't pay for it. I just wanted to see if anyone else had these issues, or how to tackle this.

I completely understand, but he was even giving examples of them removing FSD, FUSP, and Ludicrous mode. I have FUSP and Ludicrous mode (purchased by prior owner). I am kind of worried now with everything he was saying they are going to take it off the vehicle. I am actually really shocked he was telling me that they can do all of that. He said that any upgrades or warranty that any other person purchased besides me doesn't belong to me which I have never heard of. If I bought a BMW with an M package I have never heard of needing to go back to BMW to have it removed because I didn't pay for it. I just wanted to see if anyone else had these issues, or how to tackle this.
Frankly, he’s just plain bullshitting you about the warranty. Tesla sales and service will happily lie to you all day long to get you to go away or just pay up. The warranty doc is the legally enforceable bit here and it says plain as day that out of pocket parts warranties are transferrable.

As for the other stuff - ludicrous, autopilot, supercharging, etc - it’s true Tesla is engaging in some crappy business practices lately, removing features from cars that pass through their control (i.e. lease returns and trade ins) before they are resold (or sometimes after because they’re patently incompetent). However, they CAN’T do this for private person-to-person sales. That might not keep them from trying, but so far they’re only doing it for cars that end up back in their possession, however briefly.

In any case - if you want another MCU1 repair, and it’s been less than a year since the first one, you are absolutely owed one by the terms of the warranty - so dig in and start fighting.

Frankly, he’s just plain bullshitting you about the warranty. Tesla sales and service will happily lie to you all day long to get you to go away or just pay up. The warranty doc is the legally enforceable bit here and it says plain as day that out of pocket parts warranties are transferrable.

As for the other stuff - ludicrous, autopilot, supercharging, etc - it’s true Tesla is engaging in some crappy business practices lately, removing features from cars that pass through their control (i.e. lease returns and trade ins) before they are resold (or sometimes after because they’re patently incompetent). However, they CAN’T do this for private person-to-person sales. That might not keep them from trying, but so far they’re only doing it for cars that end up back in their possession, however briefly.

In any case - if you want another MCU1 repair, and it’s been less than a year since the first one, you are absolutely owed one by the terms of the warranty - so dig in and start fighting.
Sounds good. I'm going to keep everyone posted here. I downloaded all of my service receipts from prior to show they keep doing the work under warranty. However, now that they are finally identifying it needs to be replaced they are saying I have to pay and the warranty is not transferrable. I actually drove down to the service center and spoke with them right after the last text message, because I couldn't understand why I had to pay for it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210611-185118_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210611-185118_Gallery.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot_20210611-180733_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210611-180733_Messages.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_20210611-180750_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210611-180750_Messages.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 131
Sounds good. I'm going to keep everyone posted here. I downloaded all of my service receipts from prior to show they keep doing the work under warranty. However, now that they are finally identifying it needs to be replaced they are saying I have to pay and the warranty is not transferrable. I actually drove down to the service center and spoke with them right after the last text message, because I couldn't understand why I had to pay for it.

You may need this... Welcome to the BAR Online Complaint Form - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Let's hope I do not have to. He set me up with a loaner vehicle and said he was going to speak with his regional manager. I even offered a compromise just for a faster resolution and said if they at least offered something off the upgrade I would just go through with it, but I don't know why they are so hard pressed on charging me when it is under warranty.

Online complaints are really a great tool. Don't be afraid to use them.
I have done it twice in my life.
One was with a Honda Civic Hybrid battery warranty. Honda dug in but once I complained to the NHTSA and my state DA, I got a new battery.
Recently I complained to a federal bank complaint site about Pennymac not paying my taxes and being really obtuse about reimbursing me after I paid it. I finally got real customer service after that complaint. And some cash for my trouble. And a letter from them clearly written to avoid legal trouble.
The only reason you have an MCU2 option for a reasonable cost is because of prior owner's NHTSA complaints.
Tesla deserves every avenue to get them to act reasonably.

That said, even if they replace it again - the only real fix to this problem is to eventually pony up and buy the MCU2. MCU1 is just plain not up to the task of current firmware releases.
And here ladies and gentlemen is the crown jewel of Tesla over-the-air updates, continuous hardware upgrade revenue stream. "You car gets better with every release", yea, better for Tesla bottom line (they "forgot" to put that asterisk on their marketing claim).

That said, Tesla has an official recall for the MCU1, under which they are supposed to fix/replace it for free (with another MCU1), so I don't even understand why the warranty comes into play, unless the car is really old or has more than 100K miles on it (condition of the recall IIRC).

And here ladies and gentlemen is the crown jewel of Tesla over-the-air updates, continuous hardware upgrade revenue stream. "You car gets better with every release", yea, better for Tesla bottom line (they "forgot" to put that asterisk on their marketing claim).

That said, Tesla has an official recall for the MCU1, under which they are supposed to fix/replace it for free (with another MCU1), so I don't even understand why the warranty comes into play, unless the car is really old or has more than 100K miles on it (condition of the recall IIRC).
They are telling me it doesn't qualify for the recall, because when the MCU was replaced it was already given the 64gb eMMC. That is why the warranty is in question.

it doesn't matter how many miles it has the eMMC is a NHTSA recall go to nhtsa.gov and put your vin#

Reactions: aerodyne
it doesn't matter how many miles it has the eMMC is a NHTSA recall go to nhtsa.gov and put your vin#
and if your touch screen has not been replaced have them replace it while the have the mcu out. the touch screens last a average of 5 years before they start bubbling and leaking sticky goop. the screen will cost you $550 but you will save $250 labor if you have it done at same time.( they tried to pull a fast one on me try to charge the $250 at same time they replaced eMMC) service writers are either idiots or rip-offs probably both!

and if your touch screen has not been replaced have them replace it while the have the mcu out. the touch screens last a average of 5 years before they start bubbling and leaking sticky goop. the screen will cost you $550 but you will save $250 labor if you have it done at same time.( they tried to pull a fast one on me try to charge the $250 at same time they replaced eMMC) service writers are either idiots or rip-offs probably both!
A little bit of both haha. I think I may sell this vehicle and opt to buy another one. My warranty on this car has 2 years left.

Another update. Appearantly my MCU is no longer available and they have no ETA on a fix as they are going to put me on a waitlist for a remanufactured MCU. I am trying to ask if they can do a compromise on the new MCU and I pay a portion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210617-150716_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210617-150716_Messages.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 87
A little bit of both haha. I think I may sell this vehicle and opt to buy another one. My warranty on this car has 2 years left.

Personally never had the issue on the MCU doing this, however oddly my cluster started to bubble recently. I have no idea what even causes this, but no difference in functionality.
mine was not bubbling but actually leaking out the lcd liquid that is like honey and glue mixed together. i have heard of this in the past the Service tech also knew about it and sounded like a common problem with units 5 years and older. got a 1year warranty.