Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Center Removing Warranty/Upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

I need some assistance/clarification. I have a private sale Model S (DEC2014) I bought some time ago which had items replaced just last year out of pocket. Originally I had issues with the MCU last November and messages with Tesla who let me know that the MCU was still under a 1 year warranty as the MCU was replaced out of pocket. I have reached out to Tesla over 3 instances of issues with the MCU regarding Bluetooth being dropped, maps freezing, or even the screen just turning blank and I have to reset the MCU. Today they confirmed that the MCU needs to be replaced again, however stated that the only option I have is to purchase the new MCU2 for $1,500. I was very confused and questioned why I would be charged as I have confirmation the unit was replaced with a 1 year warranty back in June last year. The service center employee told me that it is procedure that any private sale vehicle does not carry over existing warranties or any upgrades purchased on the vehicle once it is sold via private party. Can anyone validate this for me, or show me this protocol he is talking about? That seems really ridiculous to me.

I appreciate it.

Just wanted to give everyone an update. Due to the current shortages there are no MCU1 replacement parts, however there are plenty of MCU2 parts. Worked on a compromise with the manager and split the bill 50:50.
im going through hell with my SC they are full on scandalous liers and i have proof. I was there on June 8th for the eMMC recall update at the same time I had them replace the touchscreen because it was leaking the lcd liquid out 13 S85 btw. im new to Tesla 5/2/2021 never even drove one up to that point, they got back to me with a invoice of $823.63 $550 for the TScreen+$231 labor +$42.63 tax. I did not agree or disagree with that. in the meantime im thinking why is there a labor charge when they have the MCU out already? cause they try to make $ anyway possible I know they must make commission on every $ they rip customers off, so they called me to say my car is ready and asked for a payment i then brought up the labor issue he put me on hold for good minute and came back and said he took the labor off. A few days later I learn about the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade but there information is vague as to what exactly the parts they are replacing, $1500.00 + tax no labor...kinda of strange the parts replace themselves? I didn't know AI was that advanced. lol so I scheduled the update through the app it gave me appointment for a week later and said they are working on a estimate. the day before my appointment the sent me the $1500.00 +$116.25 tax $1616.25 estimate still not describing in detail at all what parts are going to be replaced so I messaged the SC back and finally got a vague answer the mcu screen the instrument screen and the upgraded Intel board. I then mentioned I was just there a week prior and had the touchscreen replaced and want credit for that towards this upgrade they wrote back a little later saying that I refused the upgrade last time because I didn't want to lose FM radio. That is a complete lie and I have all the proof needed at this point I said I need management to call me. did not hear back from anybody. next day my appointment time I said im coming in for my appointment then a supposed manager called me told him the whole story he said he will try to get me a 10% discount i felt like telling him where he can put that 10% up his...I then asked him what specific parts are going to be upgrade he said they are listed on the estimate which at this point they deleted from the app but I made a copy of it before they did it does not say what parts are being replaced. I already knew I was just wasting my breath with another idiot and asked to talk to his manager then he started to get a attitude he said ok your declining my 10% offer that I will try to get you? WTF I said no but I want to talk to your boss have him call me he said fine. That was 6 hours ago. Im 56 years old been doing business in every form mostly a middle man since 7th grade when I was the middle man for the P.E. and my neighbor 1000's of deals later I got burned a lot of times but I never burned anybody cause it all comes back to you good and bad. May 2 2021 I was reborn when I went to Vegas to get my T-S85. I dont feel sorry for these service people. Sales tax fraud is a big issue in the state of California I know a little about sales and use taxes since I got my Tesla as a gift with a Nevada title they tried to get tax out of me but you can't tax a gift which intern lead to the Golden ticket (tax fee clearance)certificate. I cant wait to see what happens next.

im going through hell with my SC they are full on scandalous liers and i have proof. I was there on June 8th for the eMMC recall update at the same time I had them replace the touchscreen because it was leaking the lcd liquid out 13 S85 btw. im new to Tesla 5/2/2021 never even drove one up to that point, they got back to me with a invoice of $823.63 $550 for the TScreen+$231 labor +$42.63 tax. I did not agree or disagree with that. in the meantime im thinking why is there a labor charge when they have the MCU out already? cause they try to make $ anyway possible I know they must make commission on every $ they rip customers off, so they called me to say my car is ready and asked for a payment i then brought up the labor issue he put me on hold for good minute and came back and said he took the labor off. A few days later I learn about the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade but there information is vague as to what exactly the parts they are replacing, $1500.00 + tax no labor...kinda of strange the parts replace themselves? I didn't know AI was that advanced. lol so I scheduled the update through the app it gave me appointment for a week later and said they are working on a estimate. the day before my appointment the sent me the $1500.00 +$116.25 tax $1616.25 estimate still not describing in detail at all what parts are going to be replaced so I messaged the SC back and finally got a vague answer the mcu screen the instrument screen and the upgraded Intel board. I then mentioned I was just there a week prior and had the touchscreen replaced and want credit for that towards this upgrade they wrote back a little later saying that I refused the upgrade last time because I didn't want to lose FM radio. That is a complete lie and I have all the proof needed at this point I said I need management to call me. did not hear back from anybody. next day my appointment time I said im coming in for my appointment then a supposed manager called me told him the whole story he said he will try to get me a 10% discount i felt like telling him where he can put that 10% up his...I then asked him what specific parts are going to be upgrade he said they are listed on the estimate which at this point they deleted from the app but I made a copy of it before they did it does not say what parts are being replaced. I already knew I was just wasting my breath with another idiot and asked to talk to his manager then he started to get a attitude he said ok your declining my 10% offer that I will try to get you? WTF I said no but I want to talk to your boss have him call me he said fine. That was 6 hours ago. Im 56 years old been doing business in every form mostly a middle man since 7th grade when I was the middle man for the P.E. and my neighbor 1000's of deals later I got burned a lot of times but I never burned anybody cause it all comes back to you good and bad. May 2 2021 I was reborn when I went to Vegas to get my T-S85. I dont feel sorry for these service people. Sales tax fraud is a big issue in the state of California I know a little about sales and use taxes since I got my Tesla as a gift with a Nevada title they tried to get tax out of me but you can't tax a gift which intern lead to the Golden ticket (tax fee clearance)certificate. I cant wait to see what happens next.
Keep me posted! If you need the list part that they replace here it is:

1624492271551.png

and if your touch screen has not been replaced have them replace it while the have the mcu out. the touch screens last a average of 5 years before they start bubbling and leaking sticky goop. the screen will cost you $550 but you will save $250 labor if you have it done at same time.( they tried to pull a fast one on me try to charge the $250 at same time they replaced eMMC) service writers are either idiots or rip-offs probably both!
To follow-up on this, it will be service center specific. I was in the opposite position - I was replacing my leaking-glue center display and wanted to do the eMMC 8GB to 64GB upgrade at the same time. After getting the estimate which included full labor on both parts, I countered asking for a reduction in labor costs on one of the items given the display only needed to be removed once. The service advisor refused to reduce the labor on either component, so I did not proceed on the eMMC upgrade (and am now waiting in line for the recall).

To follow-up on this, it will be service center specific. I was in the opposite position - I was replacing my leaking-glue center display and wanted to do the eMMC 8GB to 64GB upgrade at the same time. After getting the estimate which included full labor on both parts, I countered asking for a reduction in labor costs on one of the items given the display only needed to be removed once. The service advisor refused to reduce the labor on either component, so I did not proceed on the eMMC upgrade (and am now waiting in line for the recall).
How crazy! Yeah I notice that the Service centers are not all consistent in their practice and is basically left up to each local facility. So far I have had pretty reasonable luck.

How crazy! Yeah I notice that the Service centers are not all consistent in their practice and is basically left up to each local facility. So far I have had pretty reasonable luck.
I wish I was in your area! I just missed a call from them it was a female named Carmel dont know what her position is I messaged them back said ill be available at 1:00pm. This gets better by the day. like I told them I have nothing to loose. I will personally go to corporate in Palo-Alto depending if they get more stupid or customer friendly. The customer is always right, im more then right and fair. they are going to service me with a smile on their face. im lmao at those lamf.

Just wanted to give everyone an update. Due to the current shortages there are no MCU1 replacement parts,
Money saving strategy - delay the recall as much as possible so that new parts are no longer available (normal automotive companies plan for extended parts support, Tesla stops making parts soon after they are no longer needed for new cars) by denying the problem even exists, then finally cave in and issue the recall. Customers who need a new MCU, tell them there is a wait list for remanufactured parts and nobody knows when the parts will become available, if ever. For people who replaced it themselves, deny most claims, but make sure there are a few paid out so fanboys can point to internet forum users who can attest that they did get paid.

With genius strategies like this, it boggles my mind how Tesla is not yet profitable without bitcoin profits ($101M last quarter) and carbon credits.

Money saving strategy - delay the recall as much as possible so that new parts are no longer available (normal automotive companies plan for extended parts support, Tesla stops making parts soon after they are no longer needed for new cars) by denying the problem even exists, then finally cave in and issue the recall. Customers who need a new MCU, tell them there is a wait list for remanufactured parts and nobody knows when the parts will become available, if ever. For people who replaced it themselves, deny most claims, but make sure there are a few paid out so fanboys can point to internet forum users who can attest that they did get paid.

With genius strategies like this, it boggles my mind how Tesla is not yet profitable without bitcoin profits ($101M last quarter) and carbon credits.
The thing is Tessa volunteered for the recall they still have over a 100,000 vehicles to replace emmc there inventory now for the mcu2 update is pretty much full so if somebody comes in for the recall why don't you offer them the upgrade at the same time? Business 102 make money on your losses.

Personally never had the issue on the MCU doing this, however oddly my cluster started to bubble recently. I have no idea what even causes this, but no difference in functionality.
it seems to be more of a heat related issue your car has been in. ex: CA. NV. AZ. TX. have hotter climates then say WA. OR. all the north east.....even if it was garaged unless your garage has ac its even hotter then outside.

Elon Musk's NET worth is $160,000,000,000 give or take a few billion each day. I don't know how anybody can say he's not profitable. bitcoin is his spare change he plays around with.

Reactions: aerodyne