Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Tesla Service Center Stats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wiki

Mar 21, 2016

Last edited by a moderator:
Although it's an interesting graph and well presented I'm not sure if the numbers are all that useful. A more valuable survey, but a lot more work, would be to try to gauge how backed up the service centers are. For instance, calling every service center and seeing how far out the next available annual service appointment slot is.

To really get a sense how bad things are in terms of congestion at a beleaguered Tesla Service Center, I suggest visiting the one in Denver.

It serves:
• All of Colorado
• All of New Mexico
• All of Wyoming
• All of Montana

I've been there a few times and have seen over 100 Model S's parked around the (way way too small) service center building. They're running two shifts, into the night, and on weekends. They desperately need to move to a facility that's probably 5x larger. Not sure why they haven't.

Thanks Troy!! That's just the information I was looking for!! I had approached TeslaLiving to get his Service Center Go Live data (as he collects it with a bot off of the TeslaMotors site) and produce something quite similar. Thanks again and I look forward to watching Tesla manage this growth!! BTW, we live near San Antonio and Tesla has been promising a new Service Center in SA for about 18 months. We're hoping it goes in by the end of 2016.

Thanks -

I would note that in Dallas the original service center has closed and been replaced by one 3-4 times larger. Still only one service center but the capacity of the newer centers is much larger than the early ones.

That's a lot of work Troy, and I appreciate you put a lot of effort into this. But as Mark pointed out, many service centers that were first to market have been replaced by a larger SC, and many legacy SC's have expanded capacity by building out more lifts. A more accurate representation would be accounting for the number of service bays (or lifts), relative to the number of cars on the road.

Note: This code no longer works since we changed forum software - mod.

Hi @HillCountryFun,
I use Google sheets to collect data from Tesla website. For example this formula will show number of service centers in the USA. Just paste it to a cell in Google sheets.
Code:
=countif(array_constrain(importxml("https://www.tesla.com/findus/list/services/United+States","//address[@class='vcard']"),1000,1),"<>*coming soon*")
If anybody needs help with this, send me a link to your Google sheet. Cheers

Update: If you want a list of all service centers in the USA, create a new tab in Google sheets and enter this to A1:
Code:
=importxml("https://www.tesla.com/findus/list/services/United%20States","//address[@class='vcard']")

Last edited by a moderator:
@mark and @RobsJester
There is no data about car lift numbers in service centers. If this data was available, I would use it. I could create a Google form and ask users about it but I'm not sure this is something people would know.

This is the data we have and it is better than nothing. There are some interesting details if you look closer at the numbers. For example, in Q2 2016, 14,402 new cars and 5 service centers were added to the fleet. That's 2,880 Tesla's per service when you isolate just the Q2 2016 performance. This is more than 5 times higher than the average 2 years ago.

@HillCountryFun and @NikeWings,
The forum software changed the formulas I posted. Here are the correct ones as a screenshot:
MXmQSqf.gif

Reactions: dhrivnak
@mark and @RobsJester
There is no data about car lift numbers in service centers. If this data was available, I would use it. I could create a Google form and ask users about it but I'm not sure this is something people would know.

Thanks Troy. Have you tracked anything like this ? Firmware Updates - so whats your geofencing gig?
We are looking to zero in on the geofence activity by location......the firmware releases are being tracked but not the geofenced locations which has stirred up interest.

@mark and @RobsJester

This is the data we have and it is better than nothing. There are some interesting details if you look closer at the numbers. For example, in Q2 2016, 14,402 new cars and 5 service centers were added to the fleet. That's 2,880 Tesla's per service when you isolate just the Q2 2016 performance. This is more than 5 times higher than the average 2 years ago.

@HillCountryFun and @NikeWings,
The forum software changed the formulas I posted. Here are the correct ones as a screenshot:
MXmQSqf.gif
I'm not disagreeing with your conclusion, just that the magnitude is probably a little overstated.

@mark,

There was THIS article 3 weeks ago on Electrek. In the article, there is a link to a Danish review website HERE. On that page, I'm counting 20 reviews. 9 of them are one star and 2 are two stars. The table above shows Denmark in the last place with 1687 Teslas per service center. To me, the data looks realistic.

I'm curious to see what is going to happen in Q3. We have 1 month left and so far we have 4 new service centers. The Tesla fleet is expected to increase more than 20K in Q3. Tesla's guidance for 2016 is 80K deliveries and 50K of those are expected in Q3 and Q4.

While some of the big-city locations could be replaced with "mega-centers" -- Denmark should probably have a huge center somewhere near Copenhagen, as well as a couple in the rest of the country -- it's obvious that other areas still need their own service centers. Upstate NY shouldn't be served by a center which is over 5 hours away. New Mexico shouldn't be served from Denver.

I've estimated previously that Tesla needs about 50 more service centers for geographic coverage in the US alone.

Number of service center employees would be a useful metric, but we don't have that number.

I too appreciate the work, and that is one useful metric to monitor.

In addition to other useful (but perhaps impossible to get) numbers like number of lifts and number of employees at the service centers, other relevant factors include how many mobile service technicians they have, and how often cars have to go in. Back in late 2013 they were still replacing 1.0 door handles, installing titanium shields, etc - I would imagine that newer cars don't go in as often.

To really get a sense how bad things are in terms of congestion at a beleaguered Tesla Service Center, I suggest visiting the one in Denver.

It serves:
• All of Colorado
• All of New Mexico
• All of Wyoming
• All of Montana

I've been there a few times and have seen over 100 Model S's parked around the (way way too small) service center building. They're running two shifts, into the night, and on weekends. They desperately need to move to a facility that's probably 5x larger. Not sure why they haven't.

wow, this is my main concern as a model 3 reservationist. Car availability date, range anxiety, etc are small concerns when compared to being able to drive it past its first "oil change".

I'm lucky to have a service center 20 min from my house but it basically serves all of CT, Rhode Island, some of NY, and most of MA.

wow, this is my main concern as a model 3 reservationist. Car availability date, range anxiety, etc are small concerns when compared to being able to drive it past its first "oil change".

I'm lucky to have a service center 20 min from my house but it basically serves all of CT, Rhode Island, some of NY, and most of MA.

If you remember to:

1) Schedule annual services 3 months ahead of time, and

2) Schedule the next tire rotation while you're at the SvC having the current one done,

then that will help.

Even better would be to have the car send reminders and to pre-screen available schedule openings with the car's assigned SvC, but that would be crazy talk.

If you remember to:

1) Schedule annual services 3 months ahead of time, and

2) Schedule the next tire rotation while you're at the SvC having the current one done,

then that will help.

Even better would be to have the car send reminders and to pre-screen available schedule openings with the car's assigned SvC, but that would be crazy talk.
Speaking of tire rotations, why do you have to go the Tesla SC for that? Or even tire replacement?