Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Center wants how much for a battery repair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a repair to my 2.0 battery in 2014. It was just about $4k even. That was supposedly the cost to replace one sheet; but actually they gave me a refurbished battery with a much higher CAC, adjusted the alignment, and essentially did an annual inspection as part of it.

Odd they did an alignment, nice actually. They don't need to do it since they can ubolt the rear A-arms and allow them to swing away without changing in theory the rear alignment geometry. But as finicky as I am with alignments, I'd have it done :)

Tesla has stated many times they don't consider service a revenue generating avenue, they provide it because it is essential to continue the growth of their main revenue generator, which is selling more cars... What we are doing is actually going to help them with their #1 focus, it will result in more vehicles being servicable through time which will result in more widespread adoption of their vehicles and more sales...

That all makes sense when it's done in good faith and with good intentions. But this is where it seems your company breaks down (pun intended).

My advice to you (and I know no one asked) is that you need to be more transparent, honest and forthright in your dealings, failing which I can't see how anyone would want to deal with you, regardless of whether you meet all of their stated objectives. If you can turn that aspect of your business around, you will likely be welcomed with open arms.

That all makes sense when it's done in good faith and with good intentions. But this is where it seems your company breaks down (pun intended).

My advice to you (and I know no one asked) is that you need to be more transparent, honest and forthright in your dealings, failing which I can't see how anyone would want to deal with you, regardless of whether you meet all of their stated objectives. If you can turn that aspect of your business around, you will likely be welcomed with open arms.

My local service center is fully aware of what we are trying to do here, we have also sent a few letters to Tesla corporate and emails to some of the "leaders" at Tesla. We are not trying to be obscure, transparency is exactly what we are striving for! I know there is some negativity around the tactics employed by the CEO of the company on these forums and rightly so, but I haven't been deceptive to Tesla and I've been on these forums for many months discussing ideas and such for this new department, sometimes things are mandated censorship on the forums which can be tricky to navigate in my position. (how much to share about what we are doing before someone says I'm advertising for what we are doing...)

I appreciate your supportive advice though and I totally agree with you!

I have mentioned it in other threads, but seems to fit here too. I was quoted in writing something in the neighborhood of $5500 to repair my pack. Since the quote is more than a year old and I never acted on it, I do not have the exact numbers anymore. They apparently figured out it was a sensor that is loose. As others have mentioned, they were really just going to give me a refurbished pack. Since my car was still running with the fault condition, I opted to wait for the 3.0 upgrade and of course I am still waiting and the Roadster is still running.

I have mentioned it in other threads, but seems to fit here too. I was quoted in writing something in the neighborhood of $5500 to repair my pack. Since the quote is more than a year old and I never acted on it, I do not have the exact numbers anymore. They apparently figured out it was a sensor that is loose. As others have mentioned, they were really just going to give me a refurbished pack. Since my car was still running with the fault condition, I opted to wait for the 3.0 upgrade and of course I am still waiting and the Roadster is still running.

What errors are you getting?

Who is going to support aging Roadsters?

Folks, leaving aside past interactions, the fact is that Tesla is neglecting (or at least, de-emphasizing) the Roadster, and we need to help outfits like this to step in if we want to keep our cars running past Elon's attention span. They're not making new bits aside from the battery, and PEM replacements are getting scarcer leading to long wait times (heck, they can't even track down a couple of replacement rims for me!).

In the long term, this car is going to be supported by hobbyists and 3rd parties, and if we hope to keep running them beyond the next few years, we need to do what we can to enable these kinds of efforts.

Roadster owners are rapidly becoming red-headed step-children. I fully agree with this assessment that any 3rd party company interested and capable of providing parts, service, and aftermarket enhancements
for the first real electric car that captivated the hearts of early adopters should be embraced and supported.

Interesting. Could you post some pictures of the BMB board?

I didn't take a photo, next time we have them out I'll get one though... They look like long rectangular boards with headers on either end, there is a Microchip PIC18F8585 doing all the "thinking" and a myriad of other typical board components, including some of my favorites darlington transistors (I love how cute they sound, haha!)

Folks, leaving aside past interactions, the fact is that Tesla is neglecting (or at least, de-emphasizing) the Roadster, and we need to help outfits like this to step in if we want to keep our cars running past Elon's attention span. They're not making new bits aside from the battery, and PEM replacements are getting scarcer leading to long wait times (heck, they can't even track down a couple of replacement rims for me!).

In the long term, this car is going to be supported by hobbyists and 3rd parties, and if we hope to keep running them beyond the next few years, we need to do what we can to enable these kinds of efforts.

Well said. I too look forward to having more people and companies out there with the knowhow to keep my Roadster running.

Interesting. Could you post some pictures of the BMB board?

How's this?
SAM_1616.JPG