Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Centers no longer do seasonal wheel swaps!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

So for years I've been bringing my Model-S into the local Tesla service center to do my tire swaps. I was told this was included with the pre-paid service plan. (btw, I also stored the wheels myself, so I didn't opt for the storage). I guess the free wheel swaps were one of those unwritten favours the service centers did for you if you bought the pre-paid service plan, and they had to cut it off due to the surge of cars.

I just found out today, from my local service center, that they are no longer doing wheel swaps, and recommended I go to 3 different companies in the GTA. Anyone else try to get their winters put on, recently? Who did you end up going with?

Also, anyone else swap their own tires? I used to do it with my old car, but I've heard Model-S's are tricky to jack up.

Let me know?
S.Lam

its easy to do your self... just need a good 3 ton jack, and a good torque wrench... as for jacking them up, if you have air suspension need to put in jack mode, and use a hockey puck ( im sure you have those sitting a round :) ) on top of your floor jack for the lift point... that's it your done.

Just a dumb question for clarification, but are they refusing to do wheel swaps or tire swaps. I could totally understand not wanting to waste time with tire swaps as they'd likely have to balance them each time, but I could see wheel swaps not being a big deal and doing it as a courtesy for folks who prepaid for service. Then again, I'm sure they're slammed right now with 10x as many cars on the road.

its easy to do your self... just need a good 3 ton jack, and a good torque wrench... as for jacking them up, if you have air suspension need to put in jack mode, and use a hockey puck ( im sure you have those sitting a round :) ) on top of your floor jack for the lift point... that's it your done.

Is that sarcasm? Lol

Ideally, I'd really like to swap wheels myself.

Is that sarcasm? Lol

Ideally, I'd really like to swap wheels myself.

no sarcasm at all, swapping wheels is no different than putting on a spare. but i sense a difference in understanding a "wheel" swap vice a "tire" swap

so I guess by "wheel swap" you actually meant unmounting the tires form the "wheel" and then putting the winter tire on the "wheel" that is not DIY, any good tire shop can do that easy...

I have two sets of "wheels" fitted with all season, and winter tires and tpms. it is cheaper to have two sets of rims than do mount / unmount of tires on one set of rims (wheels)

its easy to do your self... just need a good 3 ton jack... , and use a hockey puck.

Well, I guess I'm off to buy a 3 ton jack tonight. Yeah, I think I have pucks, you mean those black round things I keep tripping over in my garage?

Just a dumb question for clarification, but are they refusing to do wheel swaps or tire swaps.

Only wheel swaps they're no longer doing. Tire swaps, or repairs, rebalancing, etc, they still do.

--
S.Lam

Well, I guess I'm off to buy a 3 ton jack tonight. Yeah, I think I have pucks, you mean those black round things I keep tripping over in my garage?

Only wheel swaps they're no longer doing. Tire swaps, or repairs, rebalancing, etc, they still do.

--
S.Lam

You really don’t need a 3 ton floor jack however no downside to one. A 2 ton is fine and may actually have more ‘jack pad to jack point’ clearance. I use a 1 1/2 ton low profile floor jack. It gets used on fall and spring change overs for 3 cars. It was also my track jack for 5 years and did 100’s of wheel changes/year. It’s really only lifting one corner at a time. However on my kids Honda it lifts one whole side at a time from either the front or rear jack point.