Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Centers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an update on the Walnut Creek Store and Service Centers...

Store...I was by the Broadway Plaza location at end-of-day today 4/3/14, and the temporary construction door was open. I chatted with the foreman and 2 workers. The foreman works for TMs 'prime contractor' building out stores. He noted that he has not been home since New Years and does not expect to be home again until July 4th. He goes around the country from location to location doing the build-out/renovation of the Stores. He has done 1 in NJ, plus the Sunnyvale and Corte Madera stores. He says that they have a lot of Stores in the pipeline.

They have done the interior demolition back to the studs and subfloor. They have to do the finishes (including float the floor and lay tile) and do the electrical, lighting, etc. Looks like the finished space will be about 20x40 feet, not bad given the constrained real estate in Broadway Plaza. They will keep the glass front entrance and the wide door opening to be able to bring inside 1 model S and 1 'skateboard'. They expect to have the work done by the first week in May.

The 6 HPWCs are going into the adjacent garage, on the first floor (technically in part of the employee parking area along the exterior wall backing up onto South Main St.). This parking area is accessed from the south side off of Broadway Plaza Road, through a swinging arm gate. I spoke with the security guard there (the security booth is actually close to the gated entrance) and he is not sure how they will control access for 'casual TM owners' who want to charge. Presumably the TM employees will have an RFID gate card to enter and exit the area. Maybe if you need to charge you will need to park upstairs, go to the TM Store, check in and get access. The transformer has been placed just outside the garage and the distribution panel/circuit breaker panel has been mounted onto the inside of the exterior wall (multiple 100A circuits inside the panel). The contractor (working in the Sales office) told me that they expect to get the mounting boxes and disconnects for the HPWCs in a week or so and hope to have the HPWCs wired up and working in a couple of weeks (...does not mean we can get access and charge).

Service...the suspected location on N. Main St (old Cooks Collision) shows little obvious change. Still has an Available real estate sign out front, however there are fewer MB cars parked there. The Sales office contractor did not know much about the service center (I get the feeling that these are done by different contractors).

If anyone has any better/updated news on the Service Center (maybe someone knows someone in the WC Building Dept who can check permits), please post here.

New Service Center/Delivery location in Centinela, Culver City, in West Los Angeles. Many service appts. for original Santa Monica service center are being diverted here.

Much larger facilities - most new car deliveries for the Westside of Los Angeles will be made here.

Word is they are surveying for Supercharger installation also.

Update on the SF East Bay/Walnut Creek Service Center:

It is now off the table (and finally pulled from the TM web site which had said 'Coming Soon' for a long time). Too many hassles with the proposed location (including that it might have been too small). Next local Service Center is allegedly going into Dublin. Walnut Creek not totally abandoned, but likely much further down the road.

OK--latest news/rumor...was at the new Walnut Creek Store in Broadway Plaza a few hours ago. Spoke with a sales rep (was at Santana Row for 9 months...transferred). He says that Walnut Creek is off the map. Also Dublin is not the location of the new Service Center, but Danville. He offers no additional info/data. Anyone have an idea of where geographically this would work, and also does anyone have access to building permit info?

Has anyone heard about a location for the Jacksonville, Florida service center? If the location of the pin on the service center map means anything, then my guess is that it will be located at the northeast corner of the intersection of North Main Street and State Street. Just a guess. There appears to be an old foundation and partial structure there right now.

New service centers

Not sure where to post this but wondering how Tesla is going to keep up with production as more service centers are getting very busy. It seems to me that they need to expand the service center locations with the future production numbers climbing and new models being sold. Do we know what Tesla has planned in this regard?

I think we are already feeling the impact of more MS on the road. When I called the Rockville service center in October to schedule an annual service, the earliest appointment available was in December. And when I wanted to have my snow tires (already mounted) put on before the snow hits us (like today) I was given a date two weeks out! Needless to say I took it to my local tire shop who did the switch while I was waiting. Not too happy about all that. One of the few perks with the service plan are free tire changes.

Chris -- The Fairfax service center should be open in March 2015. Hopefully, this will alleviate the pressure a bit.

As for service centers in general, I haven't heard of any grand plan. Presumably, Tesla monitors the service center workload, but I'm not sure how they translate that workload into action or how anticipated sales are factored in.

Thanks, iadbound and good to know a about the Fairfax service center. I have been very pleased so far with Tesla's service and hope this additional center will help alleviate some of the scheduling difficulties. Happy Holidays, all

I'm pretty sure that the Service Centers do double duty, both handling service and maintenance, as well as receipt and preparation of new cars in the region. I think that is part of the reason why Tesla Motors is getting some larger locations, old dealerships that are available in some markets, so that can be handled more easily in certain territories.

What Tesla has been finding is that the smaller service center locations get frequent drop-ins from the public looking for information and test drives. I know Montreal/Dorval had to bring salespeople on board even though they were originally intended to be strictly a service location. Now Tesla is opening a larger store/service center in Montreal proper.

I got bored and put these charts together. I found approximate service center openings by tracking Tesla's website changes, sale estimates from insideevs.com, industry dealer count and industry sales from wardsauto.com.

Cum Sales.png
Deliveries.png

Service Center suggestions?

Hello everyone. I have a question for all Tesla Roadster and Model S owners. Do you have any suggestions or comments for Service Center staff? What does Tesla do differently with their Service Centers to win your satisfaction over standard dealer service departments? Thank you for your input.

Service Center Interactions

This post started out as part of the response to another thread. As I kept writing I realized it had less to do with that particular topic, and was more a topic of it's own, so I split it out.

I hope you don't get too frustrated with the service center guys. They are good guys, perhaps working with a rapidly changing set of rules and data, but usually for the better I hope and think. Respectfully encourage them to find the solid answers and commit.

If there's anything that really leaves you less than happy with their actions and you think there is something for them to improve (vs they did everything right, but it's still a crappy situation), then definitely talk to the manager at the service center, then go from there. They are approachable and really want you to have a great experience. These guys as a team really are different than just another car dealer's service center. They are there to prove it can be different.

I've certainly always found that dealing with Tesla at every level and multiple service centers has been far different than dealing with other auto industry folks. It's usually been a positive experience, but even their negative experience were different than most of the negative experiences I've had at auto dealers/service depts. With few exceptions (that tend not to stick around that long) they are protective towards Tesla as a whole as well as towards the owners. So long as one doesn't flip them into a mode of being in a defend the mothership from the hostile invader/customer, there's a great opportunity to interact with them in a mutually positive and trust building manner I don't often see in such industries. There's an opportunity to give feedback that'll actually effect change, and an opportunity to have a long term experience with them that approaches friendship rather than the wary, at times adversarial encounters many of us are more used to.

I just want people to see the difference and the potential that Tesla and the service center guys themselves are trying to accomplish, and help them get there through the challenges that come up, rather than write them off when something negative happens based on our past experiences with others auto industry interactions. Keep at it, expect different, and gently but firmly encourage it, and I think you'll be pleased to actually see it happen.

People have often said here that they think roadster owners get special or different treatment at tesla. Some roadster owners have said this isn't true, and some non-roadster owners have said that the get the same supposedly preferential treatment as the roadster owners. Isn't it possible that what's really happening is that the owners themselves are treating the service center people different? Expecting better and treating them better, not automatically assuming a "out to get me" type response from either side? It becomes mutual. I've always felt like I was part of the Tesla family. It's not a perfect family, but a good one, trying to do great things. Family is of course not exactly the right word. Substitute team for it, or effort for it. The feeling remains though, even when disappointments happen. Some have been just plain things I think they messed up (and of those, they often but not always agree). Some have been when I thought they should be able to do something that realistically wouldn't work out for them. Regardless though, we move forward by dealing with it as people with common goals and a tendency to expect the best from each other rather then the worst (or merely the satisfactory), built upon history and trust gained.

Don't take any of this as apologist talk, or anything of the sort. Trust is earned, not given, and all that. And certainly as Tesla gets into more and more markets and quantity, they are going to have to scale and change to deal with it. But do recognize it is a two way street and that many of us come to the table with our own past bad experiences affecting what level of friendliness, initial trust, etc. we offer. And do recognize that they are trying to do things different and work with them to encourage and accomplish that, providing constructive feedback both positive and negative. Try to keep stuff that can be dealt with at the local level local, but also do carefully share with higher levels too, in a way that doesn't throw the local folks under the bus. We can effect change and help them scale while still staying uniquely Tesla rather than slowly morphing into the beast that is largely the rest of the industry.

You are absolutely right here, @ra-san, and I hope I wasn't too grumpy to the SC guy this AM. Tesla is a truly great company with great service.

This post started out as part of the response to another thread. As I kept writing I realized it had less to do with that particular topic, and was more a topic of it's own, so I split it out.

I hope you don't get too frustrated with the service center guys. They are good guys, perhaps working with a rapidly changing set of rules and data, but usually for the better I hope and think. Respectfully encourage them to find the solid answers and commit.