Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Centers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I expect they just haven't announced the service locations yet. They are easier to find a suitable location for, and from what I have seen wouldn't take that long to set up, either. So it makes sense to focus on the stores first.
You are no doubt correct about the rationale for stores coming first . . . sales will drive the need for service and a service center could be located quickly in many, relatively inexpensive, locations. Just hope that sevice doesn't become a non-priority.

was in the DC store today, and while chatting with one of the Tesla employees there, I heard that they are going to have a service center (and possibly store as well, wasn't clear on this) in the Tyson's Corner, VA area, by the end of the year. For us northern virginia folks, this is great. I was not looking forward to having to go into DC for service. Tysons is MUCH more convenient.

Yes, from my knowledge of the tech-company-rich (and probably soon to be Model S-infested) Reston/Herndon/Tyson's Corner area (worked with an acquired company's employees there for a while and almost choked to death on an Afghan kabob in one of the restaurants there ;)), that location would be perfect for a service center.

was in the DC store today, and while chatting with one of the Tesla employees there, I heard that they are going to have a service center (and possibly store as well, wasn't clear on this) in the Tyson's Corner, VA area, by the end of the year. For us northern virginia folks, this is great. I was not looking forward to having to go into DC for service. Tysons is MUCH more convenient.

Tempus

You guys in the NE are getting our FL Sales Manager who just got promoted to take that region. Will is a great asset, we'll miss him.

You guys in the NE are getting our FL Sales Manager who just got promoted to take that region. Will is a great asset, we'll miss him.
Yea! We'll need a strong leader here--Northeast should be a super market for Tesla (high density, high income, short average drives), but it's going to take a strong advocate to achieve the level of sales that California is generating.

Yea! We'll need a strong leader here--Northeast should be a super market for Tesla (high density, high income, short average drives), but it's going to take a strong advocate to achieve the level of sales that California is generating.

Well (density aside) I understand FL is second only to CA in reservations and that's with one store waaaay down the far end of the state. (We're looking forward to a store opening in Tampa which sounds increasingly likely...c'mon George, don't you have family here?! :wink:)

GB said the amount of service centers would double today's count by the end of the year and he excitedly said they have not even started.

He described four levels of service centers. The top version being bigger than any built now.

He also said he has the advantage of knowing where every single customer is. I guess Nissan had that same info with online Leaf orders too.

This is all guesswork on my part. Level one sounded small like a single car garage? Maybe a storage unit in a town that holds Tesla specialized tools and a selection of parts. Maybe it even stores the Ranger truck. Then when a Ranger flys out to this remote location. He opens the unit and goes to the owner's home or they meet at the site of at a partnership repair bay.

Maybe a single large service center in a major area would handle a lot of surrouding communities. In a major area like LA there will be a Auto mall consisting of 5 to 10 make dealerships every 20 to 40 miles. Tesla may opt for one giant facility in a place like LA to bring Teslas for service. Makes sense for a small maker to not spread thin too early.

I'd really like to see a service center within Roadster distance of me. In town would be best (Spokane is the biggest city within its own Roadster range radius). But I'd be willing to drive a couple of hundred miles if I had to, and stay overnight if they returned the car to me in the morning with a full charge for the return trip.

You are no doubt correct about the rationale for stores coming first . . . sales will drive the need for service and a service center could be located quickly in many, relatively inexpensive, locations. Just hope that sevice doesn't become a non-priority.

The strategy to go with the shopping center approach is good to build brand awareness, but not enough to convince me, if the answer to "Where do I get this thing fixed?" is "Just drive 100 miles to the closest service center ". In smaller markets, having a one door service center with the showroom, even if not fully staffed, i.e ranger flies-in, will help drive sales more than nice displays ...

If Toyota technicians are going to be trained on Tesla powertrains for the RAV4EV.......

Strategic service partnership?

Wouldn't that take away from the "Tesla Experience"...all jokes aside I think that it would be brilliant but I am not so sure Elon would want the Tesla's vehicles being directly associated with Toyota's (or any car manufacturers for that matter). Tesla has went to great lengths to separate themselves from conventional car manufacturers. It doesn't help that most Toyota dealers are franchisee run, so if a service deal was ever struck these employees would not be Tesla employees. Tesla would not be able to fully control the service experience.

Wouldn't that take away from the "Tesla Experience"...all jokes aside I think that it would be brilliant but I am not so sure Elon would want the Tesla's vehicles being directly associated with Toyota's (or any car manufacturers for that matter). Tesla has went to great lengths to separate themselves from conventional car manufacturers. It doesn't help that most Toyota dealers are franchisee run, so if a service deal was ever struck these employees would not be Tesla employees. Tesla would not be able to fully control the service experience.

Unless Tesla "rents" a bay from them.

Rumor has it that TM might be working with some dealerships for service here in Texas. (Just a little something that I heard in passing.)
Restrictive state laws in the Republic of Texas might be forcing them in that direction, at least for sales. And once a dealer has sold you the car, it makes sense that they'd have the lead on service, too. If Tesla and Toyota are teaming on this, I'd hope that it would be with Lexus dealers, rather than the down-market Toyota dealers. My first guess, though, is that Tesla would be partnering with Daimler (which makes more than a few parts for the Model S).

If Tesla is going to great lengths to seperate them from the conventional car manufacturers...read ICE... then why do they want you to have ASE1-8 certifications to be a tech? Four of the 8 are irrelevant as they pertain to ICE vehicles. I think an EV standard needs to be introduced and people with technical backgrounds in the other systems need to be sought out for tech positions. The aircraft industry for instance is in a bit of a slump. They ave technicians trained in steering, hydralics, antilock brake systems, electronics, electrical, onboard computers...I amsure ther are other sources then ASE certified mechanics that can be tapped and utilized for the new evolving EV industry.