Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Centers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the Scottsdale (AZ) City Council approved a permit on May 8 for a Tesla store opening, there was a reference in the documentation to the effect that vehicle deliveries would be made either at the customer's home or the local service center - looks like a service center is planned for Phoenix/Scottsdale.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120514/RETAIL07/305149993/1422

Much of what GB told us at Fashion Island.
Tesla will have four levels of service outlets. Some aren't customer-facing at all, just a service staffer with a pickup and a trailer full of diagnostic tools, charging $1 per round-trip mile traveled. Then there are drop-off locations with lifts, others with seating areas and ones that follow the more traditional service model with espresso bars, cable TV and wireless Internet access."I know where the first 8,000 cars are going, so I know where to put service centers," Blankenship said. "We put them in based on how many cars we have in an area. We are a lot closer to each of the customers."

Interesting article on four service center options. Thanks Eric! Sooooooo . . . it looks like Scottsdale might be getting a service center with an espresso bar & cable TV . . . or a guy with a pick-up truck and a lot of tools. Nice. Actually, I think the approach makes a great deal of sense and is extremely innovative. Different areas have varying degrees of customer density so Tesla has a plan for addressing a vast array of consumers.

I live in Vermont so this is a big concern for me. When I called the NY store, the fella told me that there were a number of reservations in this area and that there would be service within a 100 miles. I don't know whether he was blowing smoke to sell cars, but I have tried to find info on Tesla's plans for opening stores/service stations. I am very new to blogging, as I've never had a reason to before this beautiful car came along. I have been unable to find 'the plan'. It feels rather 'chicken and egg'. They don't want to build if they haven't sold enough cars, and yet people will hesitate if there is no way to get it serviced. I have lived in Vt. for my entire driving life--moved up from NJ when I was 16. I am now 51. I am not at all comfortable about driving in big cities--yes, in my mind, Boston is a big city. I am hoping that they will come a bit north from there. Time will tell. Has anyone located information about expansion plans?

I live in Vermont so this is a big concern for me. When I called the NY store, the fella told me that there were a number of reservations in this area and that there would be service within a 100 miles. I don't know whether he was blowing smoke to sell cars, but I have tried to find info on Tesla's plans for opening stores/service stations. I am very new to blogging, as I've never had a reason to before this beautiful car came along. I have been unable to find 'the plan'. It feels rather 'chicken and egg'. They don't want to build if they haven't sold enough cars, and yet people will hesitate if there is no way to get it serviced. I have lived in Vt. for my entire driving life--moved up from NJ when I was 16. I am now 51. I am not at all comfortable about driving in big cities--yes, in my mind, Boston is a big city. I am hoping that they will come a bit north from there. Time will tell. Has anyone located information about expansion plans?

I don't think they've announced it yet. Worst case scenario would be using the Tesla Rangers for service (that would cost a lot more though) but that's something to consider. How far are you away from the closest know Tesla Store? Ranger fee is $1/mile (round trip).

I don't think they've announced it yet. Worst case scenario would be using the Tesla Rangers for service (that would cost a lot more though) but that's something to consider. How far are you away from the closest know Tesla Store? Ranger fee is $1/mile (round trip).

One thing to consider is that I doubt that Tesla would charge Ranger fees for warranty work. So while not eliminating exposure to Ranger charges, it may at least limit them in the initial years.

Larry

^ I can confirm that they do not charge mileage or any other fee for warranty work. I had a couple of minor issues and they came out for free. It did take about a month IIRC to schedule the visit. But the required yearly maintenance is not covered, so you pay both for the service and for the mileage. For me it will be about $1,200 altogether. Nobody in the Bluestar price range is ging to be willing to pay $600 for mileage for the required annual routine maintenance.

^ I can confirm that they do not charge mileage or any other fee for warranty work. I had a couple of minor issues and they came out for free. It did take about a month IIRC to schedule the visit. But the required yearly maintenance is not covered, so you pay both for the service and for the mileage. For me it will be about $1,200 altogether. Nobody in the Bluestar price range is ging to be willing to pay $600 for mileage for the required annual routine maintenance.
Its safe to say that Roadsters require more "maintenance" than the next gen of Tesla Vehicles...getting rid of the air cooled PEM will significantly reduce the frequency of maintenance.

^ I can confirm that they do not charge mileage or any other fee for warranty work. I had a couple of minor issues and they came out for free. It did take about a month IIRC to schedule the visit.

They recently did some major warranty work on mine and a week later came back for some minor work. I have been very satisfied with their speediness though. (e-mail on monday, ranger out usually by friday.)

I live in Middlebury, 250 miles from the White Plains, NY location...which I might add struck me as an odd location, being it is only 30 miles from this store to the other NY store. So, round trip means $500 or $250? I am really beginning to question whether or not this is cheaper to maintain than the Prius I now own. I read somewhere that each annual "checkup" costs $600. I am not wealthy, just very ecologically aware. I'm a teacher and this car will cost me close to two years of salary as it is.

I live in Middlebury, 250 miles from the White Plains, NY location...which I might add struck me as an odd location, being it is only 30 miles from this store to the other NY store. So, round trip means $500 or $250? I am really beginning to question whether or not this is cheaper to maintain than the Prius I now own. I read somewhere that each annual "checkup" costs $600. I am not wealthy, just very ecologically aware. I'm a teacher and this car will cost me close to two years of salary as it is.

The $600 annual service charge was for the Roadster. I don't think they've announced who much it will cost for the Model S (or even if it will be included under basic warranty). The Ranger fee would be the round trip charge so in your case $500. Tesla's third generation car is supposed to be in the $30-40k starting price range but probably won't come out until 2014 or so.

The $600 annual service charge was for the Roadster. I don't think they've announced who much it will cost for the Model S (or even if it will be included under basic warranty). The Ranger fee would be the round trip charge so in your case $500. Tesla's third generation car is supposed to be in the $30-40k starting price range but probably won't come out until 2014 or so.

Somebody posted in another thread that the Model S annual service would be less I believe....... Looking for post

Last edited:
Somebody posted in another thread that the Model S annual service would be $200 I believe....... Looking for post
I believe that was quasi-retracted; at this point, we know only that the $600/year Roadster fee is an upper bound.

From Middlebury, the Natick MA store will be closer than White Plains, by about 50 miles each way. The drive from Middlebury should be in range of either the 60kWh or 85kWh battery, so you could skip the Ranger fees as long as the car was driveable.

I am not wealthy, just very ecologically aware. I'm a teacher and this car will cost me close to two years of salary as it is.
Tesla's business plan was always to target the upscale market first and then move down to the mass market. Depending on your driving needs, you might want to consider a less-expensive electric car, and keep your present car for when you need the longer range. An iMiev or a Leaf would not be nearly as nice a car as a Model S, but at half the cost it gives you all the ecological benefits except for drives between about 85 and 160 miles (assuming you're thinking of the 40 kWh Model S). And then in 2 or 3 years the Bluestar will come out and you might trade up.

As much as I want to encourage everyone to switch from gas to electric, I don't think it's worth spending money you cannot afford. Especially if you have to borrow and pay interest. IMO no car is worth borrowing money for.

As much as I want to encourage everyone to switch from gas to electric, I don't think it's worth spending money you cannot afford. Especially if you have to borrow and pay interest. IMO no car is worth borrowing money for.

I agree. Two years salary for a car is a lot. Either save up for a Model S in a few years or wait until the Bluestar comes out.

The Boston store isn't in Boston proper but in a suburb (Natick) and not far from the highway exit.
You probably won't have to deal with too many "locals" if you don't want. But I live in Natick and
am also from NJ - so you have a friend here. Although, gosh, you're old. :tongue:

/Ed

I live in Middlebury, 250 miles from the White Plains, NY location...which I might add struck me as an odd location, being it is only 30 miles from this store to the other NY store.
Welcome. I was at the White Plains store last week. I asked if it was also a service center and learned it is not. The nice person indicated TM is looking to open a service center somewhere between the NYC location and White Plains.

The White Plains location will attract potential customers from Westchester, Rockland, Putnam, Dutchess, Bronx & Fairfield counties. I was surprised at the location of the NYC store in 2009 because private garage parking is at a premium and sidewalk charging is not yet entirely feasible.

Duplicating a post in the New England section, but the service center for Massachusetts is now rumored to go in Watertown, MA; 12 miles from the showroom in Natick.

"in a letter dated July 6 that the company has a lease for property in Watertown that will house the service facility."