Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Centers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard through the grapevine (actually the guy at O'Reilly auto parts down the street) that a new Tesla location is opening on Ogden near several car dealerships in Downers Grove, IL!

He seemed to think it would be a retail store but hopefully it's a combo service center type location.

Anyone else here any rumors about this potential new location?

Reactions: dc_h and Red Sage
I heard through the grapevine (actually the guy at O'Reilly auto parts down the street) that a new Tesla location is opening on Ogden near several car dealerships in Downers Grove, IL!

He seemed to think it would be a retail store but hopefully it's a combo service center type location.

Would be a good location. Every luxury brand is there, between Hinsdale and Downers. Much nicer to visit than Oak Brook, if you are not a shopper.

I think a service center would be a more important consideration, and I suspect you'll see more of those scattered around than the stores. They don't need a high-end, high-rent location.

I'd find a Montreal service location very helpful, since I'm in Ottawa. Wouldn't even need a full charge to get there. Plus Ranger fees would be half as much.

Mind you, an Ottawa location would be even better! :smile:
There is no service centre in Ottawa?
Thanks for the tip :cool: I used to live there.

Yeah, no SC in Ottawa. It's long been promised, but I don't have any expectation that it will happen any time soon.

Despite being a big Tesla fan, I'm not buying another Tesla until there is a service center here. Right now I'm well covered because my Model S has a service plan that includes transportation ("anywhere plan" - no longer offered). The Roadster hasn't needed much service; some of the minor stuff (e.g. 12V battery replacement) I do myself.

• Love
Reactions: neroden

Would be a good location. Every luxury brand is there, between Hinsdale and Downers. Much nicer to visit than Oak Brook, if you are not a shopper.
Yes I can finally confirm. It's located in Westmont i think it use to a GM or Ford dealership. Pretty big facility and this is not all that far from the Villa Park one. I see more Tesla cars in Hinsdale than any other area thus perfect location.

The service in Tesla Montreal service centre is not good. My tesla Model S has some issue on wheel to be fixed, also I did the annual maintenance service at this location. Their service is not good at all, not recommend for this location.

Store & Gallery locations need to accelerate. Wish there was a "Supercharge.info" map showing upcoming/future store locations. Transparency might help put pressure on this.

Maybe they should consider contracting/partnering with someone like Carmax.

I was trolling the boards trying to find something - anything that would reflect some sort of planned roll-out for new stores and service centers - but I was unable to find anything. With the Model 3 being unleashed very soon, there needs to be a ramp-up for these locations.

:eek:

In the U.S. 'The PLAN' appears to be to WIN the Federal case against Regulators and Officials of the Great State of Michigan. Once that is done, it will be child's play to set up new Tesla Stores all over. They'll appear faster than Starbucks and Krispy Kreme locations.

During a Model X test drive today, the topic of service centre coverage in light of the upcoming flood of Model 3 came up during conversation.
The rep said there was 'massive' expansion planned and would be ready for volume Model 3s.
I wondered aloud whether this might mean a doubling, maybe more, of the number of UK Service Centers, to which the implied answer was that was about right.

So perhaps up to 7 new UK SCs in the next 18 months?

During a Model X test drive today, the topic of service centre coverage in light of the upcoming flood of Model 3 came up during conversation.
The rep said there was 'massive' expansion planned and would be ready for volume Model 3s.
I wondered aloud whether this might mean a doubling, maybe more, of the number of UK Service Centers, to which the implied answer was that was about right.

So perhaps up to 7 new UK SCs in the next 18 months?

Doesn't it take site permitting and getting the installers lined up and deployed? That can be months of time in the USA in tougher municipalities. If Volume Model 3s comes late in 2017 to 2018, then SC deployment will probably be in the H2 of 2017, not H1. Slow start with ramp once Model 3 production throughput proven. And What will the per-kWh pricing of a charge? Subscription pricing must be determined or per-charge pricing, whatever it is.

Reactions: neroden
Doesn't it take site permitting and getting the installers lined up and deployed? That can be months of time in the USA in tougher municipalities.

Absolutely, this takes time - regardless of any reality distortion fields. It's a tricky balance. They don't want a whole bunch of expensive assets and people sitting idle if the rollout happens more slowly than expected. Nor do they want to get caught flat-footed. But they'll probably err on the side of being caught flat-footed because that is the financially safer route.

I rarely pass by a business park site of any sort that does not prominently display 'AVAILABLE' or 'NOW LEASING' signs. There is no lack of storefront or service center space. I suspect that most local politicians are not going to block Tesla's advance any longer once the Federal case is won. They will instead welcome the presence of a new employer to their community with open arms. Sure, there may still be those few places where the owner of an 'independent franchised dealership' is a big fish in a small pond, throwing his weight around, making sure that permits are misplaced, paperwork is lost, and inspection dates are deferred... But Tesla can always move on to the next town or county down the road.

The big upside of a dealership model is the attention to local market requirements that a local businessman will have. This advantage, though, can be overcome by giving appropriate autonomy to local store managers. Our Home Depot, for example, stocks parts to repair wood gutters and copper downspouts, which are not uncommon on old New England houses. It got these parts after local homeowners lobbied the manager, who realized there was profit to be made and got Home Depot HQ approval. I'm not sure, though, how much "local content" an auto dealership needs to play to--sponsor the right local charities, etc., but you're going to offer the same product everywhere.

Reactions: Red Sage
Does anyone know what's going on at the Portland, Oregon SC? I emailed a service guy there Tuesday about a rattle in my X. No reply. Sent it again yesterday. No reply. Then sent it to the general Portland SC email. No reply. Called today and left a voicemail. No reply several hours later. Wow, this is bad service - something I've never experienced with any car dealer service center. What's going to happen when they are flooded with 3's?

• Informative
Reactions: William3
Dropped off my MS today at Buena Park after a 3 week wait for some issues I've noticed after my accident repair. Got a Audi A3 for my loaner. Ugh.

It's particularly painful considering I was in a ICE rental for 6 months while my car was in the body shop and I just got my Tesla back a few weeks ago. To add salt in the wound, they didn't even have time to clean or refuel the Audi, it's effing dirty AND empty on gas.

I've been trying to get my dad into a Model S as well. But there's no way he would do that if he knew he'd have to get an ICE car, and a crappy one at that. He's been in Panameras for years and they always valet another Panamera for service. Oh well, who am I kidding, he already vowed never to get a Tesla after he saw what I had to go through for 6 months to get my car fixed.

• Informative
Reactions: William3