Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service charging for warranty items

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my 12V outlet stopped working a few months ago randomly. I noticed because my dash cam would no longer turn on. I tried plugging in other accessories and none of them worked.

I made a service appointment 2 months ago but they kept pushing it back until the day before Thanksgiving. They said it’d take multiple days so I asked if they could reschedule it instead but they just cancelled it.

I finally got around to making another appointment and dropped off my car today. Zero communication whatsoever until I got there. The guy commented on my tires needing replaced badly and that’s it.

Now I’m seeing that the car is ready but they’re trying to charge me $100 for it. The invoice said they found no problems with it but replaced it anyway. I also mentioned squeaky door handles as a low priority item to which they said it was normal even though they were very noticeably loud and charged another $100 for some lubricant. The invoice also mentions no need for tire replacement nor rotation even though they mentioned they need replaced badly this morning.

This leads me to believe they didn’t even look at my car and just charged me $200 for visiting. I never signed any agreement beforehand so can I just reject it? If so, will they just keep my car there until I pay? I’d assume that a broken 12V outlet with zero physical damage would at least be covered.

Your post is confusing. You said the 12volt outlet didn’t work, so they replaced it. I assume you asked them to replace it. They didn’t seem to find a problem with it, so they likely replaced it at your request. Maybe that’s wrong, can you clarify.

You said your doors handles were squeaking, so they lubricated them.
They verbally stated your tires needed to be replaced, but didn’t replace them, and seemed to state the opposite on the invoice. I imagine they knew you didn’t want them replaced, or you would have told them to replace them. That was likely confusion from the guy that said to replace them, you saying not to, and the guy translating that on the invoice.

Im confused at why you think they just looked at the car, and didn’t actually lube the handles, or replace the outlet. ?

If you wanted it replaced, then and the doors lubed, why would you not pay for that. ?

Your post is confusing. You said the 12volt outlet didn’t work, so they replaced it. I assume you asked them to replace it. They didn’t seem to find a problem with it, so they likely replaced it at your request. Maybe that’s wrong, can you clarify.

You said your doors handles were squeaking, so they lubricated them.
They verbally stated your tires needed to be replaced, but didn’t replace them, and seemed to state the opposite on the invoice. I imagine they knew you didn’t want them replaced, or you would have told them to replace them. That was likely confusion from the guy that said to replace them, you saying not to, and the guy translating that on the invoice.

Im confused at why you think they just looked at the car, and didn’t actually lube the handles, or replace the outlet. ?

If you wanted it replaced, then and the doors lubed, why would you not pay for that. ?
Sorry for my poor choice in wording.

I'm mostly just confused about the invoice. Aren't broken 12V outlets something that would be covered under warranty? This Model 3 only has 29k miles, so I'd assume a non-functioning 12V outlet would be covered under warranty.

I believe it should be. As you stated, they didn’t think it was broken though for some reason.
Did you have any conversation around the outlet after they said it wasn’t showing signs of being broken ?
Why would they replace it, if they didn’t think it was broken. Did you ask them to anyway ?
That’s also confusing.

I believe it should be. As you stated, they didn’t think it was broken though for some reason.
Did you have any conversation around the outlet after they said it wasn’t showing signs of being broken ?
Why would they replace it, if they didn’t think it was broken. Did you ask them to anyway ?
That’s also confusing.
I showed them how neither my dash cam nor portable mini vacuum would turn on with it but they wanted to do their own testing anyway. They never told me they didn't think it was broken until I read the invoice. I would've declined if that were the case.

I'm guessing they wrote down "not broken but replaced anyway" just so they could charge for it.

Warranty claims are commonly showing a charge initially and then it goes away after its been cleared.
I noticed charges on both of my warranty claims , but never paid anything at the end.

Not saying a 100% this is what will happen to you , but it's a high possibility. Only thing I can think of is if they found it was your fault it broke.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ and Pkmmte
Warranty claims are commonly showing a charge initially and then it goes away after its been cleared.
I noticed charges on both of my warranty claims , but never paid anything at the end.

Not saying a 100% this is what will happen to you , but it's a high possibility. Only thing I can think of is if they found it was your fault it broke.
Interesting. Good to know!

My past service visits have always either shown $0 for items covered by warranty so this surprised me.

Does anyone know what would happen if I plain out refused to pay until I get more clarification from them? Would they just charge overnight storage fees until resolved?

Have you tried calling the service center your car is at, listening to the prompts, and selecting "calling about a car currently in service"? Thats the only way I know of to talk to someone there on the phone (who is actually at your service center and not in a call center somewhere).

So, I got another invoice from them. This time it says they checked and found no issues but at least they're not charging me for it anymore.

Problem is: the issues still persist. 12V outlet still isn't working. Tesla said it could be my accessories but they work when I plug them in to other cars. Not even Tesla's own tire inflator works.

Anyone know of a possible DIY solution?

So, I got another invoice from them. This time it says they checked and found no issues but at least they're not charging me for it anymore.

Problem is: the issues still persist. 12V outlet still isn't working. Tesla said it could be my accessories but they work when I plug them in to other cars. Not even Tesla's own tire inflator works.

Anyone know of a possible DIY solution?
Why do you need DIY? Take it back, tell them to fix that damn outlet and ask for model s loaner while they work on your car. Make them work.

A related question: Does Tesla offer loaner cars while in service? Don't think so, but just to make sure. Thx. By the way, all issues the OP listed would have been covered under warranty with any other company. Hope they are with Tesla.

A related question: Does Tesla offer loaner cars while in service? Don't think so, but just to make sure. Thx. By the way, all issues the OP listed would have been covered under warranty with any other company. Hope they are with Tesla.

They do, but it's highly YMMV if you actually get one because publishing an official policy is hard work.

I got one when I had a windshield replaced, I did not get one when I had the HW3 upgrade done (I got $200 in uber credits instead)

They do, but it's highly YMMV if you actually get one because publishing an official policy is hard work.

I got one when I had a windshield replaced, I did not get one when I had the HW3 upgrade done (I got $200 in uber credits instead)

It's extra annoying in the time of covid because the last thing I want to do is get into a car with a stranger for several days of commuting.

Why do you need DIY? Take it back, tell them to fix that damn outlet and ask for model s loaner while they work on your car. Make them work.
I’ve been requesting this fix for 3 months now, so I guess I’m simply too frustrated and would rather do it myself.

They kept rescheduling me week after week the first time until right before thanksgiving when I actually needed my car. They haven’t given out loaners for the past 2 years here so Uber credit wasn’t gonna cut it.

It's extra annoying in the time of covid because the last thing I want to do is get into a car with a stranger for several days of commuting.

Yup. Plus, Uber drivers refuse to let me request a ride to a nearby restaurant and back for drive through-only locations.

Depends on the location. The Van Nuys Service Center here in Los Angeles hasn’t given out loaners since I first got my previous Model 3 nearly 3 years ago. They usually give out $200 in credit but you can keep requesting more. I spent ~$500 in credits within the past 24 hours and Tesla didn’t say anything.

As a general rule, pre covid 19, you would only get a loaner from tesla if you drive a model 3 if your car is supposed to be in service more than 24-48 hours. Even then it was " if cars were available". They normally offer uber credits, which may or may not work for you depending on what you have to do.

Now, with Covid, I have no idea because there is no way i am getting in anyones uber vehicle (the person driving the uber likely needs the money, so would almost assuredly drive whether they "felt well" or not), and rental cars are not really available. I seem to remember hearing that it might be different for model S and X owners but I dont have one of those so dont know. There are plenty who visit this section who could say, though.

Your expectation should be that, in general, no, no loaner, unless your car is in for something that is going to take a while.

I tried plugging in two different tire inflators into the 12V outlet a few months back. Both powered on for a few seconds and then stopped working. Each time I plugged one in the 12V outlet stopped working for the rest of the evening, but when I tried it again the next day it started working again. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the electronic “fuse” blows when you plug in an item that draws too much power, and then it does a software reset after some predetermined period of time. Could that be what is happening in your vehicle?

I tried plugging in two different tire inflators into the 12V outlet a few months back. Both powered on for a few seconds and then stopped working. Each time I plugged one in the 12V outlet stopped working for the rest of the evening, but when I tried it again the next day it started working again. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the electronic “fuse” blows when you plug in an item that draws too much power, and then it does a software reset after some predetermined period of time. Could that be what is happening in your vehicle?
Mine has been this way for the past 3 months even after multiple software updates and reboots, so probably not. :/

I got a loaner and they gave a model x.
It was for a wheel bearing replacement for one day of service.
Other things have been done with mobile service