Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service - Clarkston, MI

SO16

Feb 25, 2016
MI
This past Friday for a 9 AM Appt, I brought in my 2017 Model S 90D for the following:

1. windshield replacement.
2. Handle adjustment because sometimes stuck out.
3. LEDs didn’t light up on side rear tail light.
4. Upgraded keyfobs to V2. They gave me new ones and my old still work, which is odd. Kind of regret spending the $345 on them.
5. Brake lubrication.
6. Acceleration shudder.

It is a two hour one way drive. I figured they would have it at least a couple days. I made clear I wanted a loaner. They said they had limited loaners available and to get there early. So I got there at about 7:45.

Handoff was a piece of cake. They had a loaner for me since they knew I had a long drive and gave me a P90D charged to 90%. It wasn’t clean at all but was sufficient.

They did 1-5 no problem. Were done by 3 PM that day and ended up picking up my car yesterday. They did a nice job with the windshield but they definitely marked up my door with dirty shoes and didn’t take a minute to just quickly wipe it off. Those simple gestures would go far.

On the way home, I used my HW 2.0 autopilot and it normally keeps me quite well centered in the lane. But this time it kept me way too far in the right. It also had two scary phantom braking events within a couple miles which I rarely experienced. I thought great, my car cameras are messed up. But when I got home, I did a MCU reset and also powered down the car and back on. That cleared it up thank goodness.

For number 6, they couldn’t replicate the issue at normal height and said it was working correctly. I beg to differ but they did say they now have it on record and will have someone come to my house once COVID passes so I can show them in a test drive. That’s good because they charge like 87.50 to just look at something. When they texted me about picking up my car, I did text back that I thanked them for their work but was really disappointed that they didn’t find the noise. Especially for what they charge to look at it. But they ended up calling me and assured me they will look at it again in the future. So that’s good.

Couple extra things:
1. If you need a loaner, state that in your app request. Also when texting them, state it again. Be sure to get there first thing no matter what time your appointment is because the loaners go quick. Also if you live local, they are probably more apt to give out a loaner to someone who drives a long distance.

2. If you have noises or something that isn’t easy to notice, hold off on telling them about it if it requires them to do a test drive during COVID. I wouldn’t count on them finding it. You will be charged for them to look at it. They only caveat is if you want it documented before a warranty is about to expire (like in my case). At least I better not get charged again for them to look at it.

3. Don’t get a performance model loaner if you drive a non-performance. Wow...what a difference. I rode in one before but never drove one. And knowing how my car drives vs this one, it’s quite striking. Next time I’m getting a performance version.

4. Be decent. They seemed to appreciate not being screamed at...as anyone would.

5. My loaner had AP1. Honestly, it does a better job at keeping me in the lane and can still change lanes on the highway. That’s all I use AP for anyway even though I do own FSD. Still have the old HW 2.0 computer though. My car can’t be upgraded yet. Unfortunately in Michigan, the on ramps to the highway rarely have the lane markers painted coming on to the highway. HW 2 always wants to center me in the lane when it sees the far right line of the on ramp. So that means it brings my car over to the center of that large gap. Really annoying and probably looks stupid to other drivers. AP1 doesn’t do that rightly so. I wish they would fix AP2 for that. I have even seen a Model 3 do that. Lane centering for an on ramp.

Overall I’m pleased with how the service went. The drop off and pickup couldn’t have been any easier. They were really good at keeping their distance.

Last edited:

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC