Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service damaged my car, advise needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello guys,

I’ll keep it short and to the point. Looking for advice.

My 2020 MYP has been at service for warranty work. The SA called to let me know one of their 3rd party vendors bumped into it sustaining a scratch to the bumper and passenger fender. They promised to fix it but here is the problem.. the car has a vinyl wrap which was also damaged. Tesla is willing to reimburse me to have it replaced only on the affected panels (bumper and fender). The problem is that they don’t make this color wrap anymore and even if I find it, there is a 90% chance it will be mismatched in color. Tesla manager’s jaw dropped when I told him it’s going to cost 3k to wrap the car. 3k is a reasonable price too. They don’t want to take responsibility for my aftermarket wrap and I refused their offer to fix it. They are now escalating it to the higher ups.

Am I asking too much? They damaged my car and I want it fixed the right way. I don’t want a mismatched wrap job. Not to mention they won’t give me a loaner while my car is getting wrapped since it’s not a tesla shop. I’m taking a L either way.

Please, I don’t want to hear things like “you should have never got your car wrapped”. I’m seeking advice or what to do. Keep fighting? Get it in writing and Lawyer up? Get my insurance involved? But then it will leave a stain on my car fax and they will likely refuse the wrap as it’s aftermarket. This definitely sucks

If I were in your shoes, I would keep fighting. If they came back and said "no we are not fixing it" I would probably ask for that in writing along with their acknowledgement that the car was damaged while in their possession, then consult a lawyer to see if I had any other avenues.

I dont know if thats correct, its just what I would do if I was in your situation.

Maybe not what you want to hear, but things like this and worse happen at service centers. They are willing to fix the damage and replace the wrap in the damaged area. They seem to have met their minimal obligation. If you wrap your car in a custom color that you cannot replace, you take on a certain amount of risk and responsibility. I can’t see them being obligated to pay to re-wrap your entire car for damaging one section.