Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service - Didn't replace the window and damaged the trim! :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

OCJeff

Feb 18, 2021
SoCal (RSM)
I found a scratch on my passenger window that I have to assume it was there at delivery. I didn't see the scratch at that time, delivery was in the rain.

EAB9C648-F4D8-48F9-9CF1-2D9051264C8A.jpeg

Post 24 hours and 100 miles they wouldn't replace it under warranty (unless it was in between the double pane window) which is pretty lame since I found it at around around 600 miles on the odometer, and there is no way I could have caused that.

When the tech evaluated the scratch on the window he forced the window fully up while the door was open. Then when done he just closed the door and damaged the black trim by the side mirror. I watched him do it and reacted as the door was closing expecting the damage to occur (in hindsight if he broke the window it would have been replaced I guess... )

159700BF-E7FC-4F3F-B4AA-0AC967E622AB.jpeg

So not only did they not replace the window, but they damaged the trim and now I have to have another service appointment to have the trim replaced.

*SMH* .. What the heck was the guy thinking?? He really should have known better but he just said, "ohh we’ll take care of that". No reaction.

Post 24 hours and 100 miles they wouldn't replace it under warranty (unless it was in between the double pane window) which is pretty lame since I found it at around around 600 miles on the odometer, and there is no way I could have caused that.

I have to ask. From the Service centers perspective, mind you, why exactly "is there no way you could have caused that?"

You say you didnt, thats fine, but there is no way for them to know that, and it absolutely could have been caused by you, or by someone else unrelated to tesla.

The trim thing, yeah that was pretty silly on their part, but the window? Looking at your picture, it seems like it would have been hard to miss that during delivery, or over 600 miles of driving. Like I said, you say you didnt do it and that you just found it, but I dont know how you could have missed a scratch that long for multiple days of ownership, and thats likely what they were thinking too (that whenever that happened, it wasnt there on delivery).

Tesla rightly gets a lot of crap for stuff, but this isnt one of those times, for that scratch at least.

Just add glass coverage to your insurance policy.. all teslas should have this on their policy based off how much glass is on the car… then in a few months make a claim to get it replaced and it’ll be free

I have to ask. From the Service centers perspective, mind you, why exactly "is there no way you could have caused that?"

You say you didnt, thats fine, but there is no way for them to know that, and it absolutely could have been caused by you, or by someone else unrelated to tesla.

The trim thing, yeah that was pretty silly on their part, but the window? Looking at your picture, it seems like it would have been hard to miss that during delivery, or over 600 miles of driving. Like I said, you say you didnt do it and that you just found it, but I dont know how you could have missed a scratch that long for multiple days of ownership, and thats likely what they were thinking too (that whenever that happened, it wasnt there on delivery).

Tesla rightly gets a lot of crap for stuff, but this isnt one of those times, for that scratch at least.
I can appreciate your perspective as well as Tesla. I’m just sharing a few facts with my post.

1) The car had less than 600 miles on it.
2) It had already spent over 10 days in service for hood dimples and some cosmetic delivery issues. Who knows what happened to it while in their possession.
3) Delivery was on a rainy day, and this was on the passenger side of the vehicle. Hard to spot unless you are at the right angle.
4) The MY did not drive on the freeway at all aside to/from the delivery center. Not a lot of chances for this damage to happen.
5) I’ve never seen a scratch on a window like this in my 30+ years of driving. I assume it’s from assembly/manufacturing.

I was hoping for some good faith service from Tesla, which I didn’t get. Anyway, I was fine to walk away and would never have posted a comment. The door trim damage is just unacceptable and idiotic. The cherry on top for the service experience I guess.

@Cutch26 No glass coverage available I’ve ever seen from any provider in CA. Not with my 5 past insurance providers at least.

I can appreciate your perspective as well as Tesla. I’m just sharing a few facts with my post.

2) It had already spent over 10 days in service for hood dimples and some cosmetic delivery issues. Who knows what happened to it while in their possession.
3) Delivery was on a rainy day, and this was on the passenger side of the vehicle. Hard to spot unless you are at the right angle.
4) The MY did not drive on the freeway at all aside to/from the delivery center. Not a lot of chances for this damage to happen.
5) I’ve never seen a scratch on a window like this in my 30+ years of driving. I assume it’s from assembly/manufacturing.

I was hoping for some good faith service from Tesla, which I didn’t get. Anyway, I was fine to walk away and would never have posted a comment. The door trim damage is just unacceptable and idiotic. The cherry on top for the service experience I guess.

@Cutch26 No glass coverage available I’ve ever seen from any provider in CA. Not with my 5 past insurance providers at least.

Metlife had glass coverage. With that being said, I just left them because they were bought by farmers and their rates got even worse than they were before.

Dang that’s a shame for me it’s 7$ a month and they replace any damage glass with factory glass for free no deductible.. has come in handy multiple times over the past 6 years of Tesla ownership

Taking in your car to get something repaired and they don't repair it while causing an additional problem? Sounds like a typical #TeslaService experience.
Though TBF, their mobile tire rotation service is pretty good. I mean pricey at $50, but not having to take at least a couple hours out of my day taking it to a dealership/tire place and having them come directly to my home? That's worth the price I think.

I remember when I bought my VW, one week later around 200 miles odometer, I found there was a nail in the tire (repairable), I visited dealer and we had no idea when it got nailed. so the dealer replaced it with a new tire.