Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service? Easy peasy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know, I know 3 months for a service appt. etc.........
Maybe not for paying customers though.
My rear tires were wearing thin so I started looking for all new rims/tires rather than just replace. I do things like this, drives my wife batty. ;)

I went to Supercharge my car at the Syosset NY service center ( a Saturday) and while there doubled checked my rear tire which was wearing thin at 15,000 miles. To my surprise in a weeks time it had become much worse. The drivers side rear tire was starting to show cord fraying coming through. :eek: So, i'm here anyway give it a shot. I asked the front desk girl (forgot name) if I could get an appt. quickly for 2 tires. (pass. side not too good either) She checks, says I can bring it in Monday morning. Wow nice! I agree, walk out and look more closely at the tire again and decide maybe I can leave it here now, Saturday. Getting a flat with a Tesla is seriously annoying and time consuming. Go back in, she checks loaners say's yes but i'll have to take a Chrysler 300 :( Beggars can't be choosy, i'll take it. Took pictures of my S (stories of damaged cars from service centers) and go on my way.
Monday get a text car is done,cleaned and charged. $530 for 2 tires installed.
This is my second experience with Syosset and I have been pleasantly surprised by the professionalism and care received. Of course last year I had to make an appt. 2 months in advance but, that's Tesla. ;)

Most people probably use auto dealerships for warranty items and even routine maintenance like oil changes -- during the warranty period. But after the warranty period, many of us seek out experienced -- and often less expensive -- independent mechanics. Elon promises maintenance won't be a profit center, but that doesn't mean it isn't very expensive. And it could be ten years or more before independent mechanics are available in large numbers. I love my S and look forward to adding a 3, but I'm not thrilled with the service options post-warranty.

$530 for 2 new tires, installed, is a steal coming from the dealership.

They wanted to charge me $300/tire + $50/tire to mount/balance/etc., but told me that I should check prices online ($200/each) and bring them in, I can save some money.

They wanted to charge me $300/tire + $50/tire to mount/balance/etc., but told me that I should check prices online ($200/each) and bring them in, I can save some money.

So you can buy tires elsewhere, and bring them into Tesla, and Tesla will install them for you?
How much did Tesla charge you for installing them? and are they picky about the brand of tire you get?

@Chopr147 - 15K on 19" is very very low. Especially since they got worse so quickly within a week. Is your alignment off? I have 19's and dual motor and from the looks of it, I should reach 35/40K before I need replacements.

Only 15k? My P85 tires have about 30k on them and they're still good. I do rotate them and I'm expecting around 40k out of them. Maybe you should look at your alignment?

I mentioned the alignment to the mechanic. He said he would take a look but blamed it on not rotating. I rotated at about 5k miles.
Sir Guacamolaf, The tires were $180 each and I was charged $100 for labor plus tax .
Tires - Rear - Set Mounted and balanced both rear tires as per customer request. Set pressures and performed validation road test. OK at this time. Part Quantity Unit Price TIRE, 245/45R19 98W GY EAGLE TOURING (6005890-00-C) 2 180.00 360.00 Tire Disposal Fee (1025331-00-A) 1 1.50 1.50 Total Parts 361.50
Mechanic also said to come by every 5k miles and they will rotate them free of charge.

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf

I got 4 tires installed (Goodyear Eagle Touring 245/45R19) at my local Tesla service center for $826 total ($181.50/tire + $100 total labor). Included mount/balance. Interesting how the prices are different at various service centers. Should be the same you would think?

I got 4 tires installed (Goodyear Eagle Touring 245/45R19) at my local Tesla service center for $826 total ($181.50/tire + $100 total labor). Included mount/balance. Interesting how the prices are different at various service centers. Should be the same you would think?
Ah, different tires. I'm replacing mine with the Michelin Primacy MXM4's.

So you can buy tires elsewhere, and bring them into Tesla, and Tesla will install them for you?
How much did Tesla charge you for installing them? and are they picky about the brand of tire you get?

@Chopr147 - 15K on 19" is very very low. Especially since they got worse so quickly within a week. Is your alignment off? I have 19's and dual motor and from the looks of it, I should reach 35/40K before I need replacements.
Yes, they even recommended it to me to shop around on TireRack/Discount Tires.

Their price for the MXM4s was $300/tire + installation. Online (with shipping) I can get it for $200/tire. I asked if they'd just match it, so I don't have to deal with it. They said no, but to bring in the tires and they'd install it.

$50/tire mounted/balanced/installed. It's pricey compared to a place like Costco which does it for $15/tire, but this is one of those things I'm more picky about and I want my tires balanced properly.

They are picky about brand -- from what I was told it has to be an OEM tire on an OEM rim.

And I didn't get it done yet, they closest appointment they had was in 2 weeks, so I'm waiting to get it done.

And I agree 15k is too low. I'm at 43k miles now on 19s, and I have about 3/32s on each tire.

Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
Just to add to the discussion, I can't see if you have RWD or AWD (on phone so signature doesn't show) but technically you should be able to get more out of your tires if you have AWD. Also, my tires are michelin super sports and so shouldn't last as long as the primacy tires which are more for confort and fuel (electric I guess we should be saying) consumption.

I called Goodyear to ask if there was a difference on the sidewall markings between the Goodyear Eagle® Touring SoundComfort Technology® and the Goodyear Eagle® Touring. The answer was "NO difference." The paper sticker on the tire will show the product code and information to tell the difference. The buyer must be careful to receive what is paid for.

Eagle® Touring SCT™ Tires | Goodyear Tires
Eagle® Touring Tires | Goodyear Tires