Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service experience with 2 flat tires in Big Bear area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a generic reply because I am seeing many people had similar comments.
Re: Why would Tesla replace flat tire: I never expected the tires to be covered by Tesla. Roadside covers the towing for the 1st year and that is why I called them first.
Re: Why call Tesla for flat tire: Called AAA as well but they could not find a tire ship open. Tesla roadside assured they can do the repairs/replacement next day and that was my best option in a dark cold evening in the mountains.

Reactions: t3sl4drvr
Due to your circumstances, including being 100 miles away from service center, on an Easter Sunday, far up in a mountain resort town, with elderly parents on board, it may have made more sense to simply contact a local tire store and have them mount two new tires.
The real problem was driving a heavily loaded car, on a poorly maintained remote mountain road with low profile tires.
Getting empathy from any high tech company is rare these days.
Glad that things finally worked out for you. Sorry you had to go through all that.

Sorry, you had to go through this hassle. I am surprised the Tesla roadside assistance/app responder doesn't read or know the SC usually is closed on Sunday while the store may be open. The opening hours are available on Tesla's website, the hard part is there is no live person to talk to and the person who responded in the app (who knows it may be a bot) is clueless or careless, and you have no way to complain afterward, you are pretty much on your own. At best, they will give you a "thank you for your comment".

Reactions: mgspeedy
I suspect that someone could make a lot of money providing an enhanced tire roadside assistance service for Tesla Owners staffed by humans who can speak to you on the phone 24/7, maintain stocks or agreements to fix/replace standard tires immediately, and provide a premium experience and fast service. As someone who doesn’t want to lug a spare and a jack around, I’d happily pay for the peace of mind.

For the most part, there is such a service. Its called "AAA"... although depending on circumstances they also may not have stuff available.

For the most part, there is such a service. Its called "AAA"... although depending on circumstances they also may not have stuff available.
Yes, I have had AAA for over 30 years, with mixed experiences. AAA is typically highly resistant to sending a flat bed tow truck, issuing many warnings that you will be charged extra if it is deemed to not be necessary, and they will just tow you to a service center or tire center rather than actually fix the issue themselves.

I was more thinking of a Tesla-aware service that would show up within 1 hour with your stock tire, change it out on the spot, and get you on your way.

Clearly there are situations where changing out 1 tire is not ideal; but at least you would be at your leisure to address any other tires that should be changed out in the next week or 2 instead of having to deal with the tire company immediately, and perhaps secure a better deal.

Having a flat on a weekend or inconvenient time while on a road trip should not be a multi day disaster. This needs to be solved.

Reactions: mgspeedy
I am not asking for covering a tire replacement, I am willing to pay for it. Its just the miscommunication and lack of empathy from Tesla that I am flagging
You can file a claim with caltrans.

Pothole damage to your vehicle? Caltrans program may reimburse you up to $10,000​

Wednesday, March 22, 2023

I know what you mean, I have experienced the same miscommunication, lack of communication and the lack of empathy. It is very disappointing.

California Tesla owners desperately need independent shops that work on Teslas. When you have an older car out of warranty it is worse.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: zoomer0056
You seriously thought a Tesla service center was going to be open on Easter Sunday?

Come on. I don’t care if Jesus Christ himself ensured me they’d be there. No way.

Sorry for the whole experience, but after you got two flat tires your subsequent decisions resulted in shooting yourself in both feet.

Reactions: Sixth
Roadside assistance is a sh*t show across the board. I sat on the side of the road waiting on Audi Roadside Assistance for nearly 5 hours a few months ago. The manufacturers can’t help that much. They are at the whim of whatever local companies they contract to provide the tow service. AAA isn’t much better from my experiences.

The only thing I can knock Tesla on here is the lack of comms and telling you that service center was going to be open that Sunday. I suspect whoever told you that just wasn’t paying attention. Frankly I was surprised at the number of places that closed near me on Easter Sunday. I don’t recall that many places closing on that day in the past. Beyond that and the subsequent lack of comms, I can understand why they couldn’t do much else for you. Roadside assistance doesn’t cover towing your fixed car back to you and I can understand why they wouldn’t let you take one of their cars and leave it at another dealership 100 miles away. Tough situation.

This is why I rely on AAA roadside assistance instead of Tesla. Also, not sure why you would have Tesla replace the tires when any old tire repair shop should have been able to repair it.

Hate to say it but on long road trips, especially to rough country (which Big Bear is), I use my 23 year old Suburban. Big puffy tires with lots of cushioning, more road clearance, easier to replace and repair tires, lower chance of rim damage.

My Tesla is awesome for running about town - in 6 months, I haven’t used a supercharger and haven’t driven it farther than 70 miles one way (140 round trip).

I probably shouldn't respond to this, but reality is: it doesn't matter what product, brand, dealer, service center, you are on your own. It is very unlikely you will encounter someone who is empowered to do anything, wants to do anything, or is competent to do anything. What you will encounter is someone who will say or do ANYTHING to make you go away and be someone else's problem.

On the good side, Tesla functions with digital self-management. Employees are given everything they need to be successful and are expected to do great things. As the owner of a Tesla, this also applies to you. Further your car has fewer moving parts, is more efficient, is safer, is easier to repair and less likely to need repairs than any ICE vehicle.

Read your owner's manual. Read your service manual. Consider where you are going to drive your Tesla and plan strategies for every situation you can conceive. Please bear in mind that insurance of any form, warranty, AAA, Car_Care. etc., is a scam and will likely be of no assistance.

If you choose the path of relying on someone else to care for your Tesla or solve any problems you have with it, Tesla service centers are an option, but you can probably find a local individual who will provide better support for less cost and will view you as a valued customer.

Reactions: ucmndd
….. Read your owner's manual. Read your service manual. Consider where you are going to drive your Tesla and plan strategies for every situation you can conceive...
This ☝️. And know Tesla's Roadside Assistance policy.

Reactions: legendsk
I suspect that someone could make a lot of money providing an enhanced tire roadside assistance service for Tesla Owners staffed by humans who can speak to you on the phone 24/7, maintain stocks or agreements to fix/replace standard tires immediately, and provide a premium experience and fast service. As someone who doesn’t want to lug a spare and a jack around, I’d happily pay for the peace of mind.
they have...its called AAA

they have...its called AAA
Yes, I have had AAA for over 30 years, with mixed experiences. AAA is typically highly resistant to sending a flat bed tow truck, issuing many warnings that you will be charged extra if it is deemed to not be necessary, and they will just tow you to a service center or tire center rather than actually fix the issue themselves.

I was more thinking of a Tesla-aware service that would show up within 1 hour with your stock tire, change it out on the spot, and get you on your way.

Clearly there are situations where changing out 1 tire is not ideal; but at least you would be at your leisure to address any other tires that should be changed out in the next week or 2 instead of having to deal with the tire company immediately, and perhaps secure a better deal.

Having a flat on a weekend or inconvenient time while on a road trip should not be a multi day disaster. This needs to be solved.

Correct me if I am wrong, all of these companies that offer roadside assistance/coverage, are sub contracting to the same pool of in the field resources. Our auto insurance companies, AAA, Tesla and others are all pulling from the same resources. These resources can have rough personalities, miss communications, etc as it seems par for the industry. AAA might be your best bet as far as first call might be to AAA and they might own the problem. In my vehicle I have two backups for tire failure, the Tesla tire repair kit and also a ModernSpare. I feel well covered but may add AAA in the future.

• Stranded in the mountains for hours
  • 40 hours wait to receive any status of Tesla repair
  • Miscommunication and false promises for ETAs from Tesla roadside
  • No real person to talk to resolve urgent concerns
  • No empathy shown by Tesla to help stranded Tesla owner with family of seniors and child
  • Cannot accommodate any special request even when delay in service was cause by Tesla miscommunication

I was driving in Big Bear, CA when my Tesla Model3 went over a pothole and both tires got flat. I was surprised that such a minor impact would make the tires flat. I pulled over to a dirt shoulder 100m away. I had aged parents in my car so I called another friend who could take them to the cabin we were in. As I waited there after 15 mins or so there was another Tesla model3 which pulled over in that tiny shoulder with the same problem. So, it was not only me. Big Bear city was reckless enough not to fix or at least post signs of the road conditions.

Next step I reached out to Tesla roadside to help. They said they can tow the vehicle to a dealership nearby (up to 50 miles as I was in warranty period). This was happening in the late afternoon/early evening of April 8th, 2023, around 5.30PM. As I was stranded in Big Bear, 125 miles away from home in a mountain area I asked can this be fixed the same day or day after. Roadside said they would tow the car to Riverside Tesla service center and get it fixed the day after (April 9th) and assured they will be open on Sunday (See Tesla roadside text screenshot). That’s when I approved towing the car to Riverside knowing the fact that I will somehow manage to get there next morning and pick up the car and drive my family safely home.
View attachment 932433
The towing arrived more than 3 hours after the incident. It was cold and dark and unsafe where the car was parked, and I was stranded there. No complaints about the tow company, the person was extremely nice. He towed the car to the Riverside Tesla service center, and it seems there was no protocol for him to drop off the car and he was not able to get anyone to help him from Tesla side (no surprise!). So, he parked it near the entrance to the service center and left. I messaged Tesla roadside to make sure it was remotely locked, and they obliged at least at this time and promptly closed the roadside assistance ticket.

We were at the Big Bear cabin that night waiting for the car service center to open next morning. In the Tesla App it said service center is open (8AM-5PM) and assured by the roadside assistance message from previous night.

Next morning, I started texting Tesla both on the roadside text chat as well as the service chat. No response was received. Called the service center number after going through a lot of interactive voice options the phone kept on ringing and went to voice mail. I dreaded the obvious, is the service center closed because of Easter Sunday? But I have been assured that its open and car will be fixed. I had no other way than to go to the service center 50 miles away to find the status of the car (are we in stone age?). So, I did, we had to pack luggage and passengers of 3 cars into 2 and took risk of driving down the mountain road (thanks to great friends who were willing to help) to reach the service center only to find that they were closed. The car was parked and sitting there for hours without even a courtesy call or message that it will not be fixed that day. Not having any way to communicate we left the car there and spent on Uber etc. to come home 100 miles away from the service center. I spent second night without my car and yet no update from Tesla. It just said, “waiting for estimate”!
View attachment 932434
Next morning, I finally got an estimate and a $100 Uber credit. Tires need to be replaced and now they want me to come and pick up the car from 100miles away. On expressing concern regarding how far I must come to pick up the car, I was warned that if they are to keep the car overnight, they will charge me 24hrs storage fees! I asked can someone call me to discuss and even proposed a time an hour later for them to gather all options. No one called! There were some options in the chat that were posted another hour later. Two options were offered: “1. Replace the tire with us and pick up the vehicle 2. Tow it to your nearest dealership “. I replied immediately do I have to pay to get it near me, again no response for an hour. At this point I noted there are no timestamps to the messages in the Tesla app so no one can trace the wait times between each text. Finally, I tweeted hoping someone will hear me.

After another hour someone (Vaughn) called me from the Riverside service center to go over the situation. He asked me to go through my insurance to tow the car. I told them I don’t want to claim insurance for this. Other options I asked for and the answer I got:
  • Uber voucher provided covers up to $100 and it costs me more to get there. – No Tesla only gives $100
  • Can you send the car to local service center, and I can pick it up from there – No your insurance has to arrange and pay for the tow
  • I will pay can you tow it? – no we don’t have towing service.
He again told me pick it up in 24hrs or I will be charged.

Next, I went to Tesla Service center nearby (Agoura Hills) to see if they can help. After waiting another 20 mins they said no other options. I asked, can you please provide a courtesy vehicle. Answer was no, all service centers are run as separate entity and they have trackers etc. and cannot be shared across the centers.

Finally, I had to make a 4+ hrs. round trip to pick up my car from Riverside to put an end to the misery called “Tesla Service”.

I only had to wait more that 40hrs for a response and more than 2 days to fix my car. I was also told Tesla is not responsible for this as this was caused by external influence. Ok I agree the flat tire was not but what about all this trouble due to miscommunication from Tesla roadside and all the back and forth with my family including the elderly people, kids who I had to put at risk and lot of pain. What about being without my car for more than 48 hrs even when I am paying lease for the car. What about hours of looking at my phone to see if I got a message. And not to mention the 4 hrs I had to spend on the road to get my car back. Is this customer satisfaction that Tesla guarantees? Is there anyone even listening or am I to hear “Please resort to your Tesla app for any concerns”.
This is really odd and I've used Tesla's Ranger service twice. why didn't you take advantage of the tire loan program and change the tires on the spot? We had a Tesla ranger come and swap the tires for us at Kern River.

On a side note ..

"No real person to talk to resolve urgent concerns"

Not sure what's going on here, they do call you to confirm your location.

Last edited:
This is a very standard issue for current cars. Can of fix a flat, plug kit, tire inflator, buy and carry a spare are all options. There are many items that can break down on a car, sadly. Have to consider the risk/cost for each
This is really odd and I've used Tesla's Ranger service twice. why didn't you take advantage of the tire loan program and change the tires on the spot? We had a Tesla ranger come and swap the tires for us at Kern River.

On a side note ..

"No real person to talk to resolve urgent concerns"

Not sure what's going on here, they do call you to confirm your location.
im guessing it wasn’t offered or available at that time. Plus, more than 50 miles from a service center so probably a contract tow truck.