Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service forcing me to update to v11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a cracked windshield and a “Front Passenger Safety Restraint Fault” that comes and goes periodically. Took my car in for service and service advised to replace the seat under warranty but would need to update the software for calibration. They also stated that failure to do so can void warranty. Also mentioned in the notes that “vehicle should be towed out of the service center” since customer declines firmware update for a safety concern. I really don’t like the new v11 update and was planning on being on the v10 for as long as possible.
My car’s still in service since I haven't told them if I want to accept my car as is or go with their suggestion. What would you guys do in this situation?

Me? I would realize that eventually there is going to be a software update that contains a feature that I really want, or a critical safety update that is going to require me to eventually upgrade, so I might as well not waste time and energy trying to fight it and get used to the new UI. Eventually I will get used to it and not even remember what V10 was like.

Is it perfect? No. Was V10? No. But at this point I have gotten used to what I need to do in V11 and barely remember what V10 was like, just like I definitely don't remember what V9 was like.

What would you guys do in this situation?

Choose whether I wanted my car repaired or not, and if I did, let them upgrade the firmware. BTW, Tesla's warranty information does spell out that you need to do firmware updates to maintain it:

(relevant section on page 10 of the vehicle warranty, that they will likely point to if you continue to decline the firmware update but expect to get warranty service)
tesla warranty.PNG

My other concern is around Safety Score. Does v11 make is mandatory for my to enroll in Safety Score? I'm in CA and I have Tesla Insurance. I also stopped updating ever since Tesla enabled the Cabin Camera. The updates keep getting more and more invasive. Are there similar invasive things in v11 that I should be aware of?

My other concern is around Safety Score. Does v11 make is mandatory for my to enroll in Safety Score? I'm in CA and I have Tesla Insurance. I also stopped updating ever since Tesla enabled the Cabin Camera. The updates keep getting more and more invasive. Are there similar invasive things in v11 that I should be aware of?
You have the option to take or leave the Safety Score option. If memory serves, California drivers with Tesla Insurance are not required to install and use the Safety Score feature. Tesla Insurance may require non-California customers to utilize the Safety Score feature.

I have seen other folks have issues after replacing a windshield until the firmware was updated. So what they are telling you is true.
Can it be done with a reflash of the same version? Technically, probably, but it is an unusual request they may not know how to address.

Reactions: Transformer
Sorry! Look at it from the bright side. At least they gave you a perception of choice. And you will get Sonic The Hedgehog :) So many options…

With the latest update the firmware is somewhat acceptable, albeit still worse than V10. However, it seems that they are bringing back some of the V10 functionality over time.

I would suggest, just for sport, to ask them about the trunk and dashcam issues that they will introduce by upgrading you to V11 :)

Bottom line, resistance is futile!

I would suggest, just for sport, to ask them about the trunk and dashcam issues that they will introduce by upgrading you to V11 :)

Hopefully thats a joke... but if not, dont do that (unless you never plan on using that particular service center again). If people think that those in the service industry dont remember people who are "difficult", they are mistaken. They absolutely do remember, and will ensure that for those people they only do "what is required" (not "what they are allowed" which is usually not the same thing).

This is all service people, in all industries that provide service. The "old person" saying of "you catch more bees with honey than vinegar" still applies, and will continue to apply, until humans are removed entirely from the equation (which tesla is absolutely trying to do).

Computers dont care if you are nice, nor do they make exceptions (which is why tesla is always pushing people toward the computers / apps etc..)

The OP has already marked themselves as "a difficult customer", otherwise there would not have been the note on their account that they mentioned:

Also mentioned in the notes that “vehicle should be towed out of the service center” since customer declines firmware update for a safety concern.

The software version is not nearly as bad as people say, but still, this is OPs prerogative (just like it is teslas prerogative to deny fixing the seat since they wont take the firmware update that will allow the seat to get programmed to the car after installation).

OPs choice, but making the wrong choice will leave their account marked, for sure.

Note that I dont have inside knowledge of tesla in this, but I do have inside knowledge of how customer service organizations work. Its all very similar.

I waited as long as I could, but v11 is finally actually better than the last v10 in one great way: cruise control and auto steer actually works, never phantom brakes (even on 2 lane highways with trucks coming g at you in corners).

And you can re-order stops in nav, that's great.

That, plus seat heaters back in the bar make it fine.

Sure, I preferred some stuff in v10, but none of its a deal killer.

V11 is now reasonably usable, and no new privacy sensitivities. I certainly wouldn't let it delay repairs.

V11 has usability improvements like larger tap targets, targets reachable with a hand braced on the screen bottom, enough space around temp controls to not accidentally turn on seat heaters, and fewer invisible swipe targets. It adds the blind spot camera view and subwoofer control. There's still room for improvement and bug fixing. (I don't use the games and toys. If the browser had readable text I'd try it for ABRP.)

Are you still deciding, @pure9?

Reactions: chengka