Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service - Getting worse by the day....and weirder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"under-manned"? Then it is obvious. Hire women.🤪 But seriously, the under-staffed excuse is too easy. It is interesting to see how things look different when the focus is on BAD processes that create WASTE. Tesla service is a beehive of people trying to manage bad processes. Firefighters. From searching shelves for parts (that's where they finally found mine) to the frustration THEY have with "the app". The list is long and talking to service center employees causes the list to get longer.

If you're bent out of shape about parts availability, then you might just live under a rock. Talk with anyone in any industry that is somehow related to procurement.

Also, Tesla is not a premium priced car. It is a mid-priced electric car. Electric cars are on a different cost scale than ICE cars. The Taycan is a premium price electric car. The 3 is an economy electric car.

Demanding something because you feel like your money spends differently than everyone else is just silly. EVERY manufacturer is suffering. Service in EVERY industry has fallen. Parts for EVERYTHING are hard to get.

This current used car market is a great opportunity to sell your terrible Tesla and get whatever it is that you think will do better for you, both in service and stroking your ego.

If you're bent out of shape about parts availability, then you might just live under a rock. Talk with anyone in any industry that is somehow related to procurement.

Also, Tesla is not a premium priced car. It is a mid-priced electric car. Electric cars are on a different cost scale than ICE cars. The Taycan is a premium price electric car. The 3 is an economy electric car.

Demanding something because you feel like your money spends differently than everyone else is just silly. EVERY manufacturer is suffering. Service in EVERY industry has fallen. Parts for EVERYTHING are hard to get.

This current used car market is a great opportunity to sell your terrible Tesla and get whatever it is that you think will do better for you, both in service and stroking your ego.

You are wrong about so many points. The Model S certainly IS a premium priced car for a starter. But whether it is or not ....that is not the point that is being made here. The service stinks. Which brings me to your next error. NO, it is NOT the same everywhere. As I stated earlier, I have a Subaru, a Ford and a Toyota in my household. The parts availability, ease of service (none of the "you only talk to the app" BS), and quality of service is far better. Now, when I got my first Tesla in 2013 (early adopter) the service was fantastic at Tesla and continued that way for a number of years. Then a decline that does not stop. The "Demanding something because you feel like your money spends differently than everyone else..." does not even make sense. It looks like it is just a cheap shot like the "sell your terrible Tesla". No one said their Tesla car was "Terrible". Not sure why the "ego" cheap shot is there. Angry? In any case it's the service that is the problem.

Ugh. My first Tesla Model S was purchased in 2013 and the service was beyond great. Fast forward to now and my 2nd Tesla 2016 P100D MS where we see continually failing service with horrid processes. Right now my car is back in service with the "we don't know when we can get parts" response. Getting used to garbage like that from Tesla. What I find increasingly weird is the "only talk to us through the app" nonsense. So I do that. HOWEVER, when I ask questions that THEY do not want a written record of their response....THEY call ME. At one point I brought that up when the "app" said my car would be ready at "4 pm today"...but was not. NOW they want to deal on the phone telling me a mechanic, wait, excuse me, a "technician" was supposed to call me. What about the app documenting the progress. They mumble again that someone was "suppose to call me".

Every time I think the service cannot get any worse, they surprise me with new lows.
Service is within specifications.

Service the first couple of years of ownership were great. Scheduling and getting a quick appointment is still pretty good. However, the last three visits they have broken one thing while trying to replace another. So yes, three visits turned into six. I understand sh!t happens but maybe this is a bit excessive?

If any of you are close to NH, Ocala FL or West Palm Beach FL, contact Electrified Garage. They are the alternative.

This is my first Tesla and experienced my first service, it was horrible experience. My car was in the shop for 3 weeks for "engineer bug" without explanation, caught them on teslafi going 96 mph, they chipped my fender while taking off the hood, black grease marks all over interior, left window open now white side panel has water spots that wont come off, and car was dirty as heck.

Reactions: Cheburashka
I feel sorry for everyone who has experienced service problems.
I think the root cause is that Tesla is hellbent on making the best cars on the planet(s:)) and that the resources are limited, as for any company. The strategy seems to be to laser focus the resources on the best product and the best manufacturing. Everything other than making cars, including service, therefore becomes secondary. Tesla is, for better or worse, a company that religiously follows its strategy.

• Disagree
Reactions: onshi and Dayreg
I feel sorry for everyone who has experienced service problems.
I think the root cause is that Tesla is hellbent on making the best cars on the planet(s:)) and that the resources are limited, as for any company. The strategy seems to be to laser focus the resources on the best product and the best manufacturing. Everything other than making cars, including service, therefore becomes secondary. Tesla is, for better or worse, a company that religiously follows its strategy.
Tesla hires people that are inexperienced and some incompetent.
An ex employee told me they hire ANYONE, not someone with auto service experience. Some of them aren't familiar with use of tools.
Tell me how can someone forgets to replace the panels in the frunk, But then tell the customer that's how the car came in?

Reactions: Yuki Feng and onshi
I will say the Austin service center has gotten worse for sure. But it's not too surprising since it hasn't expanded in 5 years and they have to deal with 10x the customer issues day in and day out. They need to expand more service centers around Austin (or get a bigger location).

Jacksonville was great 6 years ago. Now it's horrible. Building only has 5 lifts, cars are in the isles, takes months to get an appointment. It's really a disgrace. They delivered thousands of cars, and refuse to put on second shift. Refused to change my gearbox oil, refused to reprogram my fob. I tried to talk to service manager, he said he didn't have to waste with me, 3 times, I sat in lobby for hours, he still refused to talk. I hate to think how bad it will be in two years when Austin gets in full production mode.

You guys will appreciate this..

I can't with this video and his frustration causing the smacking noise in his mouth. Haha. And oh no the worm....

He's upset he won't be able to replace the yoke. However, service center if anything were to go wrong would have to get this bolt out anyways. So not sure why he's complaining.

Anyways. I hear yah all with the service frustration. I was told a SC was understaffed and didn't even put my car back together when I went to pick it up after they told me it was ready. Only to be told nobody there could fix it and it needed to be taken to another SC and that they may take me as a walk in. Now it's been at the new SC since the 22nd of December and I get the no ETA for parts for weeks, now I've been in queue to be fixed for over a week now.

(HVAC did not work when I took delivery, didn't notice till half way home, ugh)

• Funny
Reactions: Stan930
I have a minor problem that can be fixed under warranty ... I just don't want to deal with having to have the car sit outside for two weeks while they "investigate" so I just live with it. (HPWC button does not wake car from sleep ... I have two HPWC and two cars so have troubleshooted it to the car).