Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Getting Worse - Need a senior contact for UK please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are watching a business growing at an alarming rate while attempting many things for the first time ever.

I don't buy that argument. When you grow a business, you grow the whole business if you are large enough - smaller ones may be forgiven for having to stretch their resources. Tesla are large enough to grow their whole business but they seem to be growing their car production at the expense of taking their eye off of other areas. They got that plain wrong, they have no excuses.

Seriously, despite many points of frustration, I have also come across some really nice staff trying to do their best for customers and the business.

We are watching a business growing at an alarming rate while attempting many things for the first time ever. Bound to be some problems. Early adopters (even now any EV owner is an early adopter) have a responsibility as a supporter not destroyer, but Tesla must make avenues to work with us.

Imagine a company the size of Tesla not having a registered UK contact!

There is no way to excuse that behavior, this is beyond "some problems" ranging from half filled brake fluid, to dented doors with potential 1 month repair lead times. IF they are not positioned to grow at this rate, why not increase the exclusivity that surrounds this brand before the M3 days. and let Customers enjoy the quality of the premium that they are paying to drive their car.

I have Never bought a Brand new car but tried to with the M3 however, the Horror stories I have been hearing from new owners and the little problems to me is not acceptable for a company of this size.

The UK market is a very large one and it is still growing with Tesla's adoption. All I am saying people should get the service they are paying for.

The M3 has a premium price but doesnt have the premium service that should come along with it. Sad.

Imagine a company the size of Tesla not having a registered UK contact!

There is no way to excuse that behavior, this is beyond "some problems" ranging from half filled brake fluid, to dented doors with potential 1 month repair lead times. IF they are not positioned to grow at this rate, why not increase the exclusivity that surrounds this brand before the M3 days. and let Customers enjoy the quality of the premium that they are paying to drive their car.

I have Never bought a Brand new car but tried to with the M3 however, the Horror stories I have been hearing from new owners and the little problems to me is not acceptable for a company of this size.

The UK market is a very large one and it is still growing with Tesla's adoption. All I am saying people should get the service they are paying for.

The M3 has a premium price but doesnt have the premium service that should come along with it. Sad.
Sounds like you’re similar to me, however I have now relaxed. You’re (unknowingly) looking for it. Ok, you’re not looking for it, but you’re searching for things and see it. Think of the 1000’s of people who are happy with their cars. I think the positives far outweigh the negatives. Very few stories I’ve seen have actually not looked to correct the issue of any. If that were to start happening then it would be a whole different ball game.

I've bought one or two new cars over the years. Without exception, all the dealers were good at keeping me informed, were clear about any options or accessories I could add to the order and they were also able to give me a firm date to collect the car fairly early in the process. Waiting two or three months for a new car isn't unusual, but not being given reliable and accurate information about the details that matter is.

The number of posts on this forum, from people like me who are trying to buy a car and are getting confusing, inaccurate or just no information, from Tesla, is indicative of a consistent, systemic, problem. The same issues seem to be raised time and time again, with lots of speculation, yet little seems to be being done by Tesla to resolve any of them. Without a doubt there is masses more useful information on this forum than there is from Tesla, which for any car is barking mad, but for one costing the best part of £50k is just ludicrous.

I'd settle for two things:

1. Far more easy to access information on the Tesla website, covering not just the purchase process, but also what accessories and extras are available in the UK (mats, key fob, etc) with instructions on how to easily add them to your order.

2. Accurate and regular communication from Tesla (ideally by email, so there's a traceable record) giving the status of your order as it goes through the various stages.

Tesla claim that they are making car buying as easy as any other tech product online purchase. So far they aren't even doing as good a job as someone selling a bit of tat on eBay. We can buy something for a few pounds on eBay, and get far more information. The purchase is confirmed by email within seconds, as is the payment, together with another email when the item has been despatched, often with a delivery date, and once delivered we may get a final message to confirm delivery. WTF Tesla can't do something as simple as this is beyond me.

I've bought one or two new cars over the years. Without exception, all the dealers were good at keeping me informed, were clear about any options or accessories I could add to the order and they were also able to give me a firm date to collect the car fairly early in the process. Waiting two or three months for a new car isn't unusual, but not being given reliable and accurate information about the details that matter is.

The number of posts on this forum, from people like me who are trying to buy a car and are getting confusing, inaccurate or just no information, from Tesla, is indicative of a consistent, systemic, problem. The same issues seem to be raised time and time again, with lots of speculation, yet little seems to be being done by Tesla to resolve any of them. Without a doubt there is masses more useful information on this forum than there is from Tesla, which for any car is barking mad, but for one costing the best part of £50k is just ludicrous.

I'd settle for two things:

1. Far more easy to access information on the Tesla website, covering not just the purchase process, but also what accessories and extras are available in the UK (mats, key fob, etc) with instructions on how to easily add them to your order.

2. Accurate and regular communication from Tesla (ideally by email, so there's a traceable record) giving the status of your order as it goes through the various stages.

Tesla claim that they are making car buying as easy as any other tech product online purchase. So far they aren't even doing as good a job as someone selling a bit of tat on eBay. We can buy something for a few pounds on eBay, and get far more information. The purchase is confirmed by email within seconds, as is the payment, together with another email when the item has been despatched, often with a delivery date, and once delivered we may get a final message to confirm delivery. WTF Tesla can't do something as simple as this is beyond me.
I agree and disagree with you on some of these points. I’m of the younger generation and having looked at other options for new cars, I got very confused with all of the various options that could be added and then the affect on cost, especially if then financed. Tesla make it like buying an iPhone - what colour, what gb (range). Simple (for me, I get this might be very strange if you’re used to and comfortable with the traditional approach).

Surely they should be able to give us a delivery date, even if it’s brought forward?

Your two requests -
1. It seems simple to me. The car comes as the car comes. The extras are a seperate sale entirely and would slow down the production. Also Means these can be purchased easily at any time.

2. I don’t get the impression they will ever give regular information, but surely some communication through the chain could be possible. Car has been built - car has started to be shipped - car has arrived in the country, car is at the collection sc. you get the jist.

finally, I don’t think they will ever get it as simple as buying any tech product until 90% of people can walk into the Tesla store and drive out with the car. I also don’t see this ever happening and therefore it will never be quite as simple.

When my wife and I bought new iPhones earlier this year, though, we were also able to choose what sort of data plan best suited our (individual) needs, buy accessories that again suited our individual (and different) needs, all at the same time. We both walked out of the store with similar 'phones, but with different accessories and data plans. The process was painless and very easy (one of the reasons we chose to buy iPhones).

If Tesla were to make the process as easy as this it would be a very good start!

When my wife and I bought new iPhones earlier this year, though, we were also able to choose what sort of data plan best suited our (individual) needs, buy accessories that again suited our individual (and different) needs, all at the same time. We both walked out of the store with similar 'phones, but with different accessories and data plans. The process was painless and very easy (one of the reasons we chose to buy iPhones).

If Tesla were to make the process as easy as this it would be a very good start!
Interesting point. I bet your data plan is not with Apple though...
The accessories part wasn’t bundled into one purchase is my point. So you buy the phone and then the accessories. Tesla should work like this and I suspect will in time.

Maybe Send a collective “Disgruntled of Blighty” Vlog to Tesla Time News to Zak and Jesse on YouTube. I think they have the ear of Tesla - but they are very protective of the brand but they like a bit of controversy, mainly with oil companies and Government. :)

Interesting point. I bet your data plan is not with Apple though...
The accessories part wasn’t bundled into one purchase is my point. So you buy the phone and then the accessories. Tesla should work like this and I suspect will in time.

From our perspective, as customers, the purchase was simple and inclusive of everything. We paid one bill, in one store, each, and each walked out with a 'phone, accessories etc that we wanted, ordered and purchased as a package.

Contrast that with my Tesla order. I've ordered the car, had the usual frustrations expressed by others here about everything from the spec through to accessory availability and function. I now find that I may need to go to another Tesla store to buy a key fob, frunk mat etc. How many cars are sold where purchasers may need to go to another store, in a different location, owned by the same company, in order to get things like a key fob?

Maybe Send a collective “Disgruntled of Blighty” Vlog to Tesla Time News to Zak and Jesse on YouTube. I think they have the ear of Tesla - but they are very protective of the brand but they like a bit of controversy, mainly with oil companies and Government. :)

These guys can’t and wouldn’t do anything for their viewers problems or anything that was negative towards Tesla.

I don't buy that argument. When you grow a business, you grow the whole business if you are large enough - smaller ones may be forgiven for having to stretch their resources. Tesla are large enough to grow their whole business but they seem to be growing their car production at the expense of taking their eye off of other areas. They got that plain wrong, they have no excuses.

My experience so far of Tesla's ability to treat me as a customer should be treated and to be able to deliver the even the most basic and fundamental essentials is lousy. They have failed by every measure. However, I know how easy it is to criticise and how hard to deliver even seemingly straightforward things.

Am I pixxed off? Yes. Am I prepared to ride it out? Most likely yes. Is there good in Tesla? Without a doubt.

What I will hold them accountable for is not listening or taking note of issues that they MUST deal with urgently.

Instead of sending that darned roadster into space, just provide some more & qualified staff on the ground to deal with stuff.

I think part of the frustration is driven by the contrast between the design excellence of the cars and the almost amateurish way that the sales side of the business is run. If the cars weren't so incredible, perhaps the sales issues might not seem so significant.

I never bought a Lada, but can't help feeling that Tesla may have modelled the structure and management of their sales department in the way Lada may have...

Tesla service is plumbing new depths - and I wondered if anyone had any senior contact details they could share to try and sort things out please? (No, I don't use social media, so I can't Tweet Elon!).

I don’t do social media apart from these places and the ‘official’ Tesla Owners Group on Facebook. There’s 5k members in the group which has the ear of Tesla UK, for what it’s worth. The President of the Group (US appointed term) works very hard and has recently meant with ‘senior’ UK hierarchy who understand the problems, particularly the shambles of the new comms system - which was foisted on them without any notice or prior preparation.

All I can offer is that the telephone has, allegedly come back, and 0162 845 0660 option 4 is Service. I think it’s centralised but they can put you through. Please don’t shoot the messenger if it’s a blind alley. o_O

I wonder if Milton Keynes might be a better option than Heathrow, which probably has the lowest reputation of all the service centres for service.

Good luck :)

I think part of the frustration is driven by the contrast between the design excellence of the cars and the almost amateurish way that the sales side of the business is run. If the cars weren't so incredible, perhaps the sales issues might not seem so significant.

I never bought a Lada, but can't help feeling that Tesla may have modelled the structure and management of their sales department in the way Lada may have...
I think they may have modeled their quality control on them as well :D

• Funny
Reactions: Glan gluaisne
Bizarre really that the cars, even now, are still such a uniquely brilliant offering that we put up with this seemingly endless cr@p.
Some do, but there must be a hell of a lot of potential owners (me included) that read so many threads like this that it completely put us off ordering a Tesla.

A couple of months ago I was entirely sure that my next car was going to be a model 3 P but having spent time reading lots of posts in here and in the UK facebook group my mind is changed. I suppose I should thank owners for being so honest about their issues, it's definitely been helpful (and yes, I'm aware that you hear more from owners with problems than you do from owners who are happy).

Tesla Owners Group on Facebook. There’s 5k members in the group which has the ear of Tesla UK, for what it’s worth

Thanks for the background - I do appreciate this (I'm not a member of that group as I refuse to join Facebook). However, I feel that we shouldn't encourage Tesla to focus its customer relations through a single motor club (which was one of the mistakes I think Georg Ell made, when he was running the show). Surely, all Tesla owners should be able to complain to Tesla when service is bad - and we need to find points of contact within Tesla to make this happen.

If we can try and refocus the original thread: which was about service, not car deliveries (I do symphasise with prospective owners - I've been through similar hassles myself). The thing is, many of us have paid a substantial premium for our vehicles and so we would expect a certain level of post-sales support and service following this.

Those who say we should just "bear with it" as Tesla's a startup and deserves our support clearly haven't been owners for very long. The fact is, Tesla service and support used to be excellent (not perfect of course, but still better than traditional dealerships). Now, some 6 years down the line, things have gone down the toilet. Why?

It's not just the robo-servicing system; I think there's an underlying issue. My hunch is that Tesla's given up with the UK. Sure, they'll try and flog as many cars as they can, but any new investment? superchargers? senior staff? Apparently not. We have one of the lowest supercharger densities (per head of population) than anywhere in N.W. Europe. This is despite the fact that - last time I looked - more Teslas are sold here than in Tesla's beloved Deutschland. (I've been banging on about this to Tesla for the past 8 years: Germans buy German cars; Brits don't generally buy British cars, so there's a big opening for Tesla in UK - plus, S.E. England happens to be very wealthy...)

One way of fixing this would be to re-energise the UK operation by appointing a UK country director with enough authority to "get a grip" on the situation. I think that's something we should press Tesla about.

Reactions: navt