Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla "Service Hell"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, free driving is a pretty cool benefit. If I were in that position, I'd bring in the Model S I was driving and say that since it has been a while I'd like a Model X to try. I mean, it beats being miserable and whining about it. I'm not seeing the misery of the situation, the "service hell". It seems pretty benign to me.

And yes, I've had multiple situations where I've had a loaner for a while. It just isn't a big deal. In fact, it's kind of nice, getting to try other models and configurations.

I spare my energy with certain types. So I won't reply to you with anything specific. Its a waste of time besides I already referenced your type in my original post line 2, in bold.

Reactions: cwerdna
If you look at some of his original posts, you'll have better context for replies like the one from @Bet TSLA. No excuse for not getting better communication from Tesla, but I think most of us have learned that treating others with respect usually works best at getting resolution. I can see a service tech avoiding what seems to be confrontational conversations. Again, not right ... but understandable.

And what makes you think my comm with them was disrespectful. Do you have phone transcripts?

Couple of updates, which I am sure each one of us can be slightly happy about:

I escalated and Cced execs, detailed chain of incidents and recurrences of small issues I had already complained about prior.
I also mentioned committed timelines Tesla missed and issues they promised but did not even attempt to fix when we picked up the car from various svc centers so far.

Ultimately they got to work and have sent me pictures of what they claim is now guaranteed fixed. (Woo hoo..)

But I still have to see my car in person, likely today.

In all,
1) They replaced both pieces of glass on the roof to repair the gaps between them.
2) They replaced leaky rubber lining around glass pieces on roof.
3) They realigned misaligned doors to match gaps at both B pillars.
4) They noted charge port ticks after I provided recordings. They checked with multiple Model 3s and claim "many" (not "all") of them have same ticks and it is normal. I hope they will maintain stance in case charge port has issues after 4 years.

In the past, they've replaced a chipped out side camera, the inside door rubber lining that was sagging (after I requested 3 times), and some other minor things.

I'll still say I love Tesla cars.

Oh and upon a request and after explaining smell issue with very old (75000 miles or so) loaner S, they sent in a P90D, Ludicrous mode, 15800 miles on it replacement loaner for the last 2 days.

Some people ARE details oriented, picky and perfectionists. Be it at work or in personal life. This is how I got here and I could easily afford an S or X. I just like zippy tiny cars. So, please quit tipping me about "attitude to the service rep" and my "ability to afford only 3 not S" junk, ok?

One may be very rich but you should still respect every penny and get the worth of it from whoever you "pay" money.

Will update if there's any surprise after I receive the car.

Last edited:

I escalated and Cced execs, detailed chain of incidents and recurrences of small issues I had already complained about prior.
I also mentioned committed timelines Tesla missed and issues they promised but did not even attempt to fix when we picked up the car from various svc centers so far.

Ultimately they got to work and have sent me pictures of what they claim is now guaranteed fixed. (Woo hoo..)

In all,
1) They replaced both pieces of glass on the roof to repair the gaps between them.
4) They noted charge port ticks after I provided recordings. They checked with multiple Model 3s and claim "many" (not "all") of them have same ticks and it is normal. I hope they will maintain stance in case charge port has issues after 4 years.

In the past, they've replaced a chipped out side camera, the inside door rubber lining that was sagging (after I requested 3 times), and some other minor things.

Oh and upon a request and after explaining smell issue with very old (75000 miles or so) loaner S, they sent in a P90D, Ludicrous mode, 15800 miles on it replacement loaner for the last 2 days.

Some people ARE details oriented, picky and perfectionists. Be it at work or in personal life. This is how I got here and I could easily afford an S or X. I just like zippy tiny cars. So, please quit tipping me about "attitude to the service rep" and my "ability to afford only 3 not S" junk, ok?

One may be very rich but you should still respect every penny and get the worth of it from whoever you "pay" money.

Appreciate the updates and thank for sharing.

In all,

Great resolution!
I'm also on your boat about being VERY OCD and perfectionist and have had very similar experience with my Model 3. (minus the bad loaner, they've always given me decent cars)
I've taken my car twice to Santa Clara, then Palo Alto, then i'm going to try Fremont next :)

I also LOVE both our Model 3 and S.

It can be troublesome being OCD >,< We're fighting uphill battle against Thermodynamics. :p

• Funny
Reactions: DR61 and classicjoy
My Model S had several quality issues as well after delivery, name a few, misalignment doors, front bumper not install properly and charging port too tight etc.

My suggestion is have SC fix them 1 or 2 issues per visit, fix the one which annoy you the most, slowly, your car will be perfect!

In terms of perfection over time.... After reading numerous posts in multiple threads, to me Tesla "comes across as a manufacturer not enough attentive to build quality". (Please read this line fully and read those threads I did before spewing hate messages to me - just kidding...).

Quality is a big deal. It's your impression on market and occupants' lives on line.
  • Build Quality: Tesla's build quality issues are professionally defined as "Kia in 1999". They range from bumper hanging out to myriads of small and big misalignments around the car, the handles coming lose, the heated seats not working and then some more.
  • Quality in context of Tesla's data collection with some 8 cameras around the car: These does not seem to be used for driver assist. I say that because "prompted lane change" (not automatic) and the autopilot feature has been working in Teslas identically since the 1 front camera models of 2014. The other cams only collect data while driving, and does the driver no immediate assists.
  • So let's talk about data..
    1. Tesla does not use LIDAR technology but uses SONAR. LIDAR is wildly claimed as more accurate and responsive. Why this? Following link has some info but I disagree with assessment.
    2. Tesla had divorced with a good technology partner Mobileye in 2016, and perhaps due to which -
    3. Autopilot feature has been in beta for 4+ years now. This is not Silicon Valley pace, let alone on a software initiative. If not Mobileye, some other partner with ready tech would've certainly helped here.
    4. In lack of partnership to speed thru this tech, Tesla is stuck learning and learning with all those cameras, with no outcome yet.
    5. It's also worth noting that most of those are not cameras but like- edge detection devices. Tesla video ads still continue to make a deal about side vision and 360 degree awareness. But, after 4+ years there's no all-automatic lane changes or anything better than level 2 autonomy. There is NO 360 visibility active.
    6. Lastly, being the geek types, I'd also make it a deal that none of the cameras are exposed via the mobile app - a slam dunk and utter trivial solution everyone of us can use as rudimentary surveillance or dashcam, rather than having to pay 1100$ to get 2 more after market cameras installed as dashcam.
  • Lastly++, these are valid technical points; I am still a Tesla owner; I love my M3. So, once again it's a perfectionists' dilemma and I am not in business of receiving anyone's showdown messages in response, let alone to respond to them.

Last edited:
Quality means different things to different people. I had a VW GTI which was absolutely perfectly assembled. I doubt you could find one variation in panel alignment, paint application, interior fittings, etc from stem to stern. It was museum perfect assembly.

The ECU freaked out day one, revved the engine to the rev limiter every time the clutch was depressed which, when the A/C compressor engaged, blew out the compressor, evap core, and condenser. Of course launching the car from a stop at 6500 RPM did a number on the flywheel and clutch.

This was with 110 miles on the odometer.

Pick your poison.

I'm at three consecutive weeks without my vehicle now (delivery "acceptance" involved leaving it with the service center)...Another week and I guess I could theoretically look into lemon law proceedings for NV or UT (purchased in the former, with the idea of eventually registering in the latter; haven't seen the point yet since I don't actually have ownership of it). I don't want to do it but based on the depreciated value of a $63k (with tax) vehicle caused by disassembling both the door and frunk and painting the problematic areas twice? I'm leaning in that direction. What happens if they're not satisfied with Service King on the 2nd attempt?

Last edited:
At least you have a Model S loaner and not an ICE rental. Think of it as free transportation until they get yours ready :)

You can try escalating the issue from the Support section on Tesla.com.

Not really free as your making payments on a new car and getting to use a old used one in return. I'd be annoyed if my brand new $60k+ car was in the shop longer then I've had a chance to actually use it.

Reactions: classicjoy

In all,

So I'd say enough time as gone by that we've learned you actually experienced something far closer to service "heaven" than "hell". Got all your problems fixed in a timely fashion while getting to drive a Model S for free. And the fixes didn't cost you a thing.

I've missed the part where you've admitted that Tesla service is awesome and you are totally happy with your car.