Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla "Service Hell"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My brand new Model 3 has been in service center for a total of 4 weeks out of the 6 weeks of ownership.

I even dislike these forums and feel pre-planted Tesla proponents sideline and muddy genuine issues of customers who actually paid for the vehicles.

I went for a checkup of few minor but definitive issues with the build quality of Model 3. The glass roof comes misaligned, the doors come misaligned measurably. I don't know by how much because Tesla service won't share that information no matter how I asked (WTF is that.. I paid for this?).

These are small things. So small, I guess Kia came with such issues in 1999..Then, wonder what the heck Tesla found wrong to keep the car?!

There is no reply to emails, nobody picks up the phone, they put me on hold when they do pickup and so on. I know Tesla was sued by an existing customer for just this in 2016 - I think Alein Twain or someone; not sure.

I even drove to service center. I was not given any info neither my car back. Staff just said we are waiting for engineering to respond on some issues and open question. No clarity, no alternatives. The loaner I have is a 78,000 miles driven Model S with scratches allover, and it SMELLS when I turn fan on.

Now I know what F grade service feels like. The alphabet gives out just enough about Tesla. :cool:

The technicians themselves advised fixing, which is why I kept the car there.

My brand new Model 3 has been in service center for a total of 4 weeks out of the 6 weeks of ownership.

I even dislike these forums and feel pre-planted Tesla proponents sideline and muddy genuine issues of customers who actually paid for the vehicles.

I went for a checkup of few minor but definitive issues with the build quality of Model 3. The glass roof comes misaligned, the doors come misaligned measurably. I don't know by how much because Tesla service won't share that information no matter how I asked (WTF is that.. I paid for this?).

These are small things. So small, I guess Kia came with such issues in 1999..Then, wonder what the heck Tesla found wrong to keep the car?!

There is no reply to emails, nobody picks up the phone, they put me on hold when they do pickup and so on. I know Tesla was sued by an existing customer for just this in 2016 - I think Alein Twain or someone; not sure.

I even drove to service center. I was not given any info neither my car back. Staff just said we are waiting for engineering to respond on some issues and open question. No clarity, no alternatives. The loaner I have is a 78,000 miles driven Model S with scratches allover, and it SMELLS when I turn fan on.

Now I know what F grade service feels like. The alphabet gives out just enough about Tesla. :cool:

If your car has been in for repair for greater than 30 days you may qualify for lemon law buyback. Sounds like you’re unhappy with the car and the service department so maybe this is the best course of action?

At this point I'd LOVE to dump the junk back and get the money out for all that I am going through.

I'd be transparent to add that at another time in future if and when Tesla does mature up in terms of autopilot, servicing and build quality worthy of my money, I can buy then.

Tesla - can I have my money back?

Sorry to hear about your situation. Starting with an insult to many people here that actually paid for thier cars is maybe not the best way to get helpful feedback. Many of us enjoy our cars and are not plants from Tesla.

Good luck with your issue. I am sure Tesla will help you.

Thanks for making me laugh today:)

I did want to mention and forgot that there is yet another issue - there are GAPS in the rubber lining between glass roof and body panels, resulting in noise today and perhaps dust, debris, rain and moisture later in life.

AND we had MARKED and clearly mentioned about this and yet they have not told us whether it is fixed or not.

What F-ed up build quality.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Starting with an insult to many people here that actually paid for thier cars is maybe not the best way to get helpful feedback. Many of us enjoy our cars and are not plants from Tesla.

Good luck with your issue. I am sure Tesla will help you.

Thanks for making me laugh today:)

There was no attempt of heartburn.
If you're not a Tesla planted noise here, you are on the customer's side. And also and one last time, nothing I said so far on TMC should alienate me from Tesla lovers. It's just that you got lucky! I like Teslas too, but when prod quality is not "standard", it IS a matter of LUCK.

Reactions: neroden
You might as well not rush them to put you into the time frame for you to exercise the lemon law. This will allow you to move on to another vehicle that will suit your quality needs.

Agreed. I had a lemon bought back in the recent past (not tesla) and when they’d call and say it’d be another week to get a part in it didn’t bother me one bit. Sure, run up the clock, be my guest.

If you’re dissatisfied with the build quality and the service departments then get past the 30 day service threshold, have them buy back the car, and move on to a vehicle that meets your needs. If you can afford a Model 3 you can afford many other fine makes and models with more consistent build quality. Maybe a Lexus would suit you better?

THANK YOU for answers and help :)
Question - Does it have to be a nonstop 30 days or 30 days despite gaps when I took car from service center to service center but same issue are still there?

I am not a lawyer so you’ll want to seek a pro, but in my experience it’s 30 cumulative days out of service OR three unsuccessful attempts to repair the same mechanical problem, whichever comes first. This triggers your ability to pursue lemon law buyback in the state of California.

Definitely I would be frustrated too. I had three very minor issues and took my 3 in last Friday. They took care of it within an hour. Customer Service was great! I love this car.