Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service in Australia - getting nowhere

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After over three months of waiting for parts and countless phone calls I have come to a conclusion that Tesla seems to have a two-tier system for sourcing parts that are not in stock:

Tier 1: "This sucker can wait"
Tier 2: "Let's get parts for this guy ASAP since delays are costing us money"

If you have a non-drivable vehicle stuck in a workshop waiting for parts your goal is to move from tier 1 to tier 2. Simple phone calls never worked in my case. Don't get me wrong, Tesla has the nicest customer support of any car dealer I have ever dealt with. The problem is that they don't seem to have much influence on people that actually work on your car. It was getting nowhere until I pressured them into providing a loaner vehicle. Once they had arranged a rental car for me (they didn't have any Tesla loaners) things started moving lightning fast and in less than two weeks it was all sorted.

After over three months of waiting for parts and countless phone calls I have come to a conclusion that Tesla seems to have a two-tier system for sourcing parts that are not in stock:

Tier 1: "This sucker can wait"
Tier 2: "Let's get parts for this guy ASAP since delays are costing us money"

If you have a non-drivable vehicle stuck in a workshop waiting for parts your goal is to move from tier 1 to tier 2. Simple phone calls never worked in my case. Don't get me wrong, Tesla has the nicest customer support of any car dealer I have ever dealt with. The problem is that they don't seem to have much influence on people that actually work on your car. It was getting nowhere until I pressured them into providing a loaner vehicle. Once they had arranged a rental car for me (they didn't have any Tesla loaners) things started moving lightning fast and in less than two weeks it was all sorted.
I dont agree. My car needed a new part a few weeks back to stop it staying awake. No parts in stock so tesla adelaide said they would contact me in about a week when it arrives. It arrived and was fitted a couple of days later. I think this thread should be renamed as State specific, as its not an australia wide issue.

I dont agree. My car needed a new part a few weeks back to stop it staying awake. No parts in stock so tesla adelaide said they would contact me in about a week when it arrives. It arrived and was fitted a couple of days later. I think this thread should be renamed as State specific, as its not an australia wide issue.
I suspect it will be part specific.

Reactions: Vostok
My experience.
Faulty Traction battery car self diagnosed .
Originally booked onsite appointment. I got a call from Tesla rep who advised the traction pack needs to be examined car booked into Alexandria the following week.
Loan car provided on the day, job was 3 days in the workshop.

There was more communication although in essence this was the experience. I was surprised the batteries were in the country M3P.

Took Melbourne service four months to get me a windshield, which I would have thought would be about as consumable a part as an EV would have and therefore should have been in stock.

But they were always nice about it and did actually communicate. I can only presume it's corporate priorities and processes which are the main problem.

I am waiting on a part for one of my door handles. I got them to create a request for part supply only and they keep moving the appointment forward each time the appointment comes near when the part supply only status makes them check for the part.
Once the part is in your hands you can log a request to install.
Just a suggestion 🤷🏻‍♂️
Just an update if interested, I got the correct dooor handle wiring harness today. So $52 for a door handle light that will take me 3 or 4 hours to fit.

Reactions: paulp
I concur that the service at Tesla Alexandria reflects lack of competence , lack of any professional attitude and total lack of regard to the individual who actually buys their product. Much like your experience my experience with Tesla following a collision would be worthy of a vaudeville performance award if only I could extract an element of humour. The gross indifference and arrogance when attempting to obtain any information through their channels is quite impressive by any standard. Even the polite individual fielding my call and attempting to relay information to individuals at Alexandria graciously apologised for their unresponsiveness and lack of communication . The poor fellow at the panel beating shop who has to deal with Tesla as well as tolerating my frustration seems absolutely defeated by the chaos and ineptitude at the Alexandria service centre . He seems to be coping by simply accepting that his current role is to absorb the dissatisfaction and irritation from unfortunate Tesla owners who have the temerity to ask for some rudimentary service from a so called Service Centre . I would not be at all surprised if the monkey enclosure at Toronga Zoo scores higher in any measure of efficiency or organisation .

I applaud the Tesla organisation for their innovation and willingness to take on the big guys but their lack of attention to detail ( eg : phantom breaking ) and disregard for after sale service and communication , I’m sure , will be their demise .

2022 Model 3 RWD
v2022.40.4

Wanted to share my experience with the Tesla Service offering here in Sydney and get some thoughts too, as I'm not getting anywhere with Tesla and after half a year of cancelled appointments and no communication, I felt I needed to say something.

In June of this year, the liftgate chime of my Model 3 developed a fault, as the power trunk closed it's tone was muffled, it later stopped working entirely, with no sound as the boot lowers.

I reached out to Tesla, provided the details of the fault and scheduled a Service Appointment for July, a part was on the way, everything was on track.

Tesla called me at 6pm the night before my appointment advising that they do not have my part in stock and I will need to reschedule the booking. After taking leave from work, I cancel, the appointment is rescheduled.

As the next Service date approaches, I reach out to Tesla on the Service app and confirm the required part is in stock, all is good, Tesla confirm they have the parts for the repair.

Wary of my past experience, I decided to call the day prior to confirm again that the part is in stock. Tesla say there's been a mistake and they actually don't have any of the required parts. The appointment is cancelled again.

The next appointment date approaches that Tesla Service re-booked. Once again, I reach out to confirm parts are in stock...messages go unanswered, getting nowhere communicating via the service app I call Tesla, the phone team are helpful, but don't have any answers - they say someone will return my call.

I receive a message via the app two days later - they've just found out they never actually ordered the part, but it's now on it's way and will arrive within three to four 'wheels' time. I was confused too, but I remained hopeful...we reschedule again.

Further checks for an update go unanswered, I finally get a reply, but now being now addressed by a completely different name - "Peter", anyway the parts should arrive next week (September), I remain positive.

The next appointment approaches, I check in to make sure we're all good - received no response on the app, so I called Tesla Customer Service, someone will get in contact, they do, but I'm advised they don't think they have the part, but are unable to confirm because "the parts guy is out sick"- I'm advised to reschedule again.

More weeks pass and today's appointment approaches, received the automated confirmation yesterday, all is looking good. I take the morning off work and am on the way to Tesla. Half way there, I receive a message via the Tesla app, the appointment is cancelled, they don't have the part.

Tesla suggesting I check the new booking date in the app.

Tesla have now chosen the next date to be December, almost six months later the saga continues.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can get my Model 3 fixed?

The Model 3 is a great vehicle, I love it, but not being able to source any parts when things go wrong is becoming a huge issue.

I'm fortunate I can still drive the car and it's not a critical part, but when things go wrong it seems close to impossible to source replacement parts for a vehicle that's less than one year old.

I wanted to share this experience and put this out there for others considering a Tesla, any after-sales support is proving near impossible, when and if something does go wrong.
Sounds like the chatswood SC yes? or is it the Alexandria SC? Oh how i dread dealing with Tesla service - it's become so bad that i find myself in tears twitting Mr. Musk about the poor service we get as holders of Tesla products.

I concur that the service at Tesla Alexandria reflects lack of competence , lack of any professional attitude and total lack of regard to the individual who actually buys their product.

I had my Model 3 looked over for a 2-year service at Alexandria in November last year. They were totally fine and professional, no issues, and all the little niggles in my car were fixed. 🤷‍♂️

Is Ben still there?