Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Inspection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 Tesla MSP has now been in service for over 3 years. I only drive it 2500 miles a year but I would like to have the tires rotated and a good vehicle inspection.

My question is what do I ask for in my Tesla App? Service Inspection?

M

service.jpg

That service inspection checklist looks similar to what I was given when I took delivery of my 2015 MS (and paid for service plan). My understanding is Tesla has backed away from routine service visits. I wasn't given a service plan option or any specific maintenance suggestions when taking delivery of my 2019 Raven MSP. Personally, I prefer the more attentive posture they had with earlier cars. Suppose they've determined much was overkill (still, I'd take it).

Telsa's current section on maintenance from their website is very different than the table you pasted: Vehicle Maintenance | Tesla Support

In either case, you use the Tesla app to schedule any maintenance service visit.

Just request annual maintenance service, that’s what I’ve done in the past (every two years). They’ll figure out what needs to be done.
I had my car in there for 1 week while they were fixing a broken wire that was making FSD and all the safety systems go crazy. The car is from 10/2021 and has 6500 miles on it. I told them please perform the yearly service and it was never done. When i picked up the car they told me it only has 6500 miles so no need to do anything. I've never experienced this with any other mfg. When I lease these cars I could care less what they do with them since I'm giving it back and then its someone elses problem. But when I purchase these cars I like all the services complete and documented for resale. Am i crazy or do they not have annual services at Tesla? This was in Brooklyn, NY

There is even shorter list that they also don’t follow any longer (see attached), I only managed to convince them to change brake fluid additionally to wiper blades and cabin filter change. Mine is from 2016. They even politely top-up windscreen washer fluid.

Attachments

• ModelS_Annual_Service-1.pdf
    81.1 KB · Views: 73
They say they are rotating tires - $65. Changing Particulate Filter - $51.50 checking brake fluid level -$17.50 Checking tire tread and pressure - $0.0

Really wanted Drive units inspected, Steering & Suspension Torque checked, wiper blades replaced, breaks checked etc....

Rotating tires & Checking brake fluid level is easy. Not sure about Changing Particulate Filter.

M

It's strange they believe in doing it this way. The majority of companies justify these pre-emptive measure to align with warranty work. I like keeping things in tip top shape, wish we had a electrified garage around here

It's strange they believe in doing it this way. The majority of companies justify these pre-emptive measure to align with warranty work. I like keeping things in tip top shape, wish we had a electrified garage around here
I think what you say is why they are doing it this way. No other car company has no required maintenance and yet such a along warranty. Tesla is selling that their cars are less expensive to operate, maintain, and very reliable.

Tesla has a pretty reactive approach for maintenance. They'd rather sell you a pound of cure than an ounce of prevention.

But realistically there's not a lot of things to maintain. I do my own work when possible, and you really just need to check/replace cabin filter, brakes, and suspension. Coolant and motor lubricant are "lifetime fills." There are no timing or accessory belts, spark plugs/wires, engine air filters, O2 sensors, or water pump to replace proactively or on a schedule.

Wish they would do proactive speed sensor examination on the LDUs since those seem to have a design fault that causes them to fail.

Reactions: primedive
Tesla has a pretty reactive approach for maintenance. They'd rather sell you a pound of cure than an ounce of prevention.

But realistically there's not a lot of things to maintain. I do my own work when possible, and you really just need to check/replace cabin filter, brakes, and suspension. Coolant and motor lubricant are "lifetime fills." There are no timing or accessory belts, spark plugs/wires, engine air filters, O2 sensors, or water pump to replace proactively or on a schedule.

Wish they would do proactive speed sensor examination on the LDUs since those seem to have a design fault that causes them to fail.
I think this sums it up and says it excellently, the have a very reactive approach. First MFG in my entire life that behaves like this. And DD, your right it is kind of amazing a MFG will still honor a full bumper to bumper with no preventative maintenance. I could remember a while back when you didn't have all the services stamped in the Mercedes book they would actually bill you for all the missing ones upon lease or finance return.