Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service installed PS4 after asking/paying for PS4S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my tires replaced today after finding that Tesla has the PS4S in my tire size 245/45/R19, confirmed with Tesla chat in the mobile app. They sent an estimate and it shows in black and white that it is the PS4S to be installed. After picking up around midnight, driving home I realize they are not the PS4S but the PS4. On top of a wheel alignment that didn't fix my pull to the right, now I fear they are going to tell me hey you drove off the lot, it's too late to switch the tires now! Am I stuck with the PS4 now or would they have to honor the switch because I agreed to the PS4S (in estimate + invoice)?

I'm also open to keeping the PS4 but from all my research in the last two weeks I decided to go with the 4S. If I do stick to the 4, then they'd just have to update the invoice/refund me the difference. Just feel defeated because I paid top dollar.

A5757D42-05D4-453E-9B3B-B8BDC8D7D5A9.jpeg

If your invoice says PS4S and you got PS4, then they have to either swap them out or refund you the difference - can't have a mismatch like that.

That being said, what's driving you to the 4S over the 4? Is there's a notable difference? I'm trying to figure out which is the best for me as well.

If your invoice says PS4S and you got PS4, then they have to either swap them out or refund you the difference - can't have a mismatch like that.

That being said, what's driving you to the 4S over the 4? Is there's a notable difference? I'm trying to figure out which is the best for me as well.
They said although it shows 4S on the invoice, they mount the PS4 not PS4S. Not sure why they mark it as 4S in their system then. I told them they should at least update that.

I found the PS4 tire on TireRack, not the exact one but I have the Tesla specific one: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4

So basically the price is right. $330 @ Tesla vs $338 at TireRack. Tesla doesn't sell 4S (at least for my size) and I can’t find any 3rd party that sells it for my tire size of 245/45/R19. Someone said go with 255/45 but I didn’t want to go off spec. Too late now.

I decided to stick to the PS4. The reason I wanted 4S was I just wanted to get the best of the best for dry/wet. I did a lot more research into the 4 and found that it is very similar to the 4S, except that is it more comfortable to ride on and quieter. The 4S is really meant for those who want the best sport tire before hitting the Cup2. In that case I didn’t want to sacrifice comfort and ride quality. So I’m going to stick to the PS4 since most of my driving is daily driving and I like the comfort ride. It did rain here and I did many launches and do notice a huge difference in grip and the car feels much faster. Braking is insane in rain and turning was very planted. I’m very happy now lol.

The 5 just came out but I don’t see those coming to many sizes for a while, maybe few months or a year. I couldn’t find them.

All in all, case is closed lol. But the need to be clear if it is really PS4 or PS4S.

FYI, Tesla is terrible at doing alignments. Every alignment I've had, at 3 different service centers, has come back horrible. I think it's partially that they just don't spend the time to be precise, and partially because they align it in HIGH, and you usually drive it in standard/low.....so of course, it's going to be off when you actually drive it.

Take it to a precision/performance alignment shop that will spend the time to do it right. You should expect the values to be identical side to side, with the thrust angle set to 0.

• Informative
Reactions: besnova
FYI, Tesla is terrible at doing alignments. Every alignment I've had, at 3 different service centers, has come back horrible. I think it's partially that they just don't spend the time to be precise, and partially because they align it in HIGH, and you usually drive it in standard/low.....so of course, it's going to be off when you actually drive it.

Take it to a precision/performance alignment shop that will spend the time to do it right. You should expect the values to be identical side to side, with the thrust angle set to 0.
Good to know. I told them I'd come back Saturday at 8 AM to do it again. I wish I can just get it refunded, that's $200 already. I had another shop do it like 2 weeks prior for I think $80. I just keep sinking the money into this headache of an issue.

Thanks for your details, I will take note of it and when I do a test drive with the tech I can talk to him.

Good to know. I told them I'd come back Saturday at 8 AM to do it again. I wish I can just get it refunded, that's $200 already. I had another shop do it like 2 weeks prior for I think $80. I just keep sinking the money into this headache of an issue.

Thanks for your details, I will take note of it and when I do a test drive with the tech I can talk to him.

Have them focus on getting the values identical from side to side. If camber/caster/toe are identical, you have a good starting point that you can mark on the eccentric bolts, Then, you can fiddle with the toe a bit to try to compensate for drift on your own.

• Love
Reactions: besnova