Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service invoice for in warranty diagnosis?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie here. Got a new model 3 last week. My front and rear proximity sensors don’t work or atleast not showing on the display. Scheduled a visit with the service center. They have sent me an invoice for labor to be signed prior to the visit for $xx.
Surprised since vehicle is in warranty why are they asking me to pay for it?

ok so finally got I touch with someone from the service center.
You guys are right. Its for just incase the price is repair is out of warranty

I had a concern that Tesla has our credit cards on file (for superchargers) so they directly withdraw :shrug
Seems that's not the case with service center stuff..
so all good for now.

Yes, but usually when I sign something for warranty work. The dollar amt on the paper is $0.
Exactly my thought. Whenever I have taken in my Acura in the past, they give me a quote in advance that indicates what is under warranty and then indicates no charge. If they discover something else that I might have to pay, then they call me to discuss and ask what I want to do. The OP process is sounding different.

When I had mobile service twice on the model X. They did similar thing. I signed a paper up front before they started work that indicated warranty and or price.

Newbie here. Got a new model 3 last week. My front and rear proximity sensors don’t work or atleast not showing on the display. Scheduled a visit with the service center. They have sent me an invoice for labor to be signed prior to the visit for $xx.

This has been the typical way of doing business with my service center the last couple of times I went in. They ask you to sign, but I have never had an actual need for out-of-warranty service on either my 2015 Model S or my wife's 2018 Model 3. Your new Model 3 will not be charged for service under warranty.

Do not worry-it’s just like everyone is saying- it’s just in case it’s not covered due to your own damaging the part. More importantly it creates an electronic record. There will be times in the far future when your warranty is expired that you will sign for labor and then never be charged. As an early Tesla owner, I speak from experience. A very generous company.

Reactions: Bill Foster
Back to the original problem... a friend who recently took delivery of a model 3 had similar problem - front sensors not working. When he took it in, it turned out that they are all connected through the same wiring harness that was not plugged in. Whether it worked its way loose during shipment (not a cheery though) or was never connected in the first place, it's a bit discouraging that the quality control at delivery is so bad.

Back to the original problem... a friend who recently took delivery of a model 3 had similar problem - front sensors not working. When he took it in, it turned out that they are all connected through the same wiring harness that was not plugged in. Whether it worked its way loose during shipment (not a cheery though) or was never connected in the first place, it's a bit discouraging that the quality control at delivery is so bad.
This happens at other manufacturers too. Pins not seated in connectors, connectors not plugged in, wires pinched and cut ect. Don’t think this is a Tesla only problem

Reactions: Msjulie

Be prepared for a lot of frustration on the Tesla Warranty/Quality front. I took delivery in April, and it has been an uphill battle all the way. For example, my rear sensors are working, but not mounted properly... and it really shows because the car is white. Last note from Tesla service folks is that they have no fix. My read on their response is as follows: "Elon told us to cut costs so we are refusing to fix anything we can get away with not fixing.". The battle continues...

Btw since we are talking about sensors. I noticed the model S has sensors showing distance when driving on sides too like in the image

Does the model 3 also show the same when driving?

Attachments

• 55183B3B-F40F-47D6-B617-BD466D7965B8.jpeg
    55183B3B-F40F-47D6-B617-BD466D7965B8.jpeg
    637.9 KB · Views: 109