Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service is nothing but a nightmare.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had a nightmare with Tesla service.

Most recently the passenger door on Model 3 will not close.
Went to scheduled service and nearest appointment was more than a week away.
Am I expected to walk for a week?
Then that appointment was pushed out another week due to a lack of parts?
I asked what parts and asked for immediate service to which I got no response.

Had similar poor or no responses form service in the past.
This type of poor customer service will force me from recommending Tesla.

What is the available recourse?

I have had a nightmare with Tesla service.

Most recently the passenger door on Model 3 will not close.
Went to scheduled service and nearest appointment was more than a week away.
Am I expected to walk for a week?
Then that appointment was pushed out another week due to a lack of parts?
I asked what parts and asked for immediate service to which I got no response.

Had similar poor or no responses form service in the past.
This type of poor customer service will force me from recommending Tesla.

What is the available recourse?
You have to wait. There is no recourse.

Never own a Tesla as your only vehicle.

You have to wait. There is no recourse.

Never own a Tesla as your only vehicle.
Never own ANY car as your only vehicle. What, you don't think that a gas car can be sidelined with a door that won't close? You think this is a Tesla problem? Just for the record, I've owned four Teslas and my only service in 250,000 miles was a door handle that was replaced in literally seconds, while I waited at the Service Center. You can "have to wait" with almost any car. I owned an MR2 from Toyota and had to leave it at the dealer's and wait for a day. Big deal. It happens.

But I will say that any EV has far fewer problems, service requirements and maintenance needs than any gas car. I own two Teslas. I have no other cars to fall back on and have never had to fall back on them, and they are my ONLY VEHICLES. Your advice is silly.

Never own ANY car as your only vehicle. What, you don't think that a gas car can be sidelined with a door that won't close? You think this is a Tesla problem? Just for the record, I've owned four Teslas and my only service in 250,000 miles was a door handle that was replaced in literally seconds, while I waited at the Service Center. You can "have to wait" with almost any car. I owned an MR2 from Toyota and had to leave it at the dealer's and wait for a day. Big deal. It happens.

But I will say that any EV has far fewer problems, service requirements and maintenance needs than any gas car. I own two Teslas. I have no other cars to fall back on and have never had to fall back on them, and they are my ONLY VEHICLES. Your advice is silly.
I do think a gas car can be sidelined.

But I *know* that BMW will always have a loaner for me.

Not so silly now, is it?

Can people stop apologizing?

Yes, there are equivalencies and things to expect, but Tesla’s service IS BAD.

No other company is going to tell you to deal with $100 of Uber Credits instead of a loaner when fixing a $100k+ car under warranty.

I have a new S and live in the mountains in Colorado and this Uber stuff is a joke. What’s the sage advice from the Tesla community to me? Only buy a Tesla if you live downtown?

Come on, this continued excusing of poor service isn’t doing anyone any good.

Tesla’s service is NOT GOOD, and it’s a black eye on the brand that needs to be fixed yesterday.

I took MS in for recall. SC took days for a 1.5 hr part swap & messed car up badly. SC wanted me to pay them to fix their screwups. I got car returned, wrote a letter to Palo Alto & got timely response. Had car taken to another SC where multiple screwups were easily remedied. Yes TESLA service is a nightmare at some SCs, but not all of them. HQ saw that I eventually got my car back in the condition it was in before the recall. Letters to HQ are probably more effective than squawking on TMC, which hurts TESLA’s reputation and does little to solve the owner’s problem!

Yes. Tesla customer service is the worst in the business. I cannot call them, I cannot email them, I cannot open a chat. It is like they are out of business. They want your money but then give no support at all. If you have a question and you do not have a day to search for an answer, you are screwed. The ony recours is to call for roadside assistance and even then you get a person who just got out of bed to answer the phone.

Reactions: DustinT and Tez~La
sorry for your hassles, but I have had good experiences. Had a flat tire, mobile service came the next day, a Sunday, and fixed it. Tail light leaked in the rain, mobile service came to my work two days later and fixed it. Took it in for a two day wait to repair molding that popped out inside and they gave me a model S for a loaner. Most recent had my 12 volt die, took it in at 8:45 pm that same night, it was done overnight and ready the next morning at 8 am. Just my experience so far, guess I have been lucky.

Reactions: ROB_310
Can people stop apologizing?

Yes, there are equivalencies and things to expect, but Tesla’s service IS BAD.

No other company is going to tell you to deal with $100 of Uber Credits instead of a loaner when fixing a $100k+ car under warranty.

I have a new S and live in the mountains in Colorado and this Uber stuff is a joke. What’s the sage advice from the Tesla community to me? Only buy a Tesla if you live downtown?

Come on, this continued excusing of poor service isn’t doing anyone any good.

Tesla’s service is NOT GOOD, and it’s a black eye on the brand that needs to be fixed yesterday.
They will stop apologizing, when people stop whining about Tesla not replacing their ride.

Live in the remote reaches of the earth ? Expecting a helicopter ride ? Upset Tesla doesn’t have a Fleet of shiny loaners, exact duplicates of what you purchased ?

There is a guy in Malaysia complaining on forums his car has to go by boat to get serviced.
What was he thinking, Duh ?

Retail price aside, common folk are used to hitching a ride with the neighbors or spouse. Maybe taking an Uber. Or worse case, like an insurance wreak, renting a car.

Just because you spent $100k+ It doesn’t automatically buy entitlement.
Bringing your car in for service and being Serviced are two different things to complain about.

If you want a Grey Poupon lifestyle there are other brands that can cater to you.
Tesla isn’t one of those and they never pretended to be.

If Tesla ever does follow that model you might need three good references to buy a car.

A car subscription, or car service, may be the next choice

They will stop apologizing, when people stop whining about Tesla not replacing their ride.

Live in the remote reaches of the earth ? Expecting a helicopter ride ? Upset Tesla doesn’t have a Fleet of shiny loaners, exact duplicates of what you purchased ?

There is a guy in Malaysia complaining on forums his car has to go by boat to get serviced.
What was he thinking, Duh ?

Retail price aside, common folk are used to hitching a ride with the neighbors or spouse. Maybe taking an Uber. Or worse case, like an insurance wreak, renting a car.

Just because you spent $100k+ It doesn’t automatically buy entitlement.
Bringing your car in for service and being Serviced are two different things to complain about.

If you want a Grey Poupon lifestyle there are other brands that can cater to you.
Tesla isn’t one of those and they never pretended to be.

If Tesla ever does follow that model you might need three good references to buy a car.

A car subscription, or car service, may be the next choice

Oh please. Spare me. I don’t live in Malaysia, I just don’t live down town. And my wife doesn’t currently drive for medical reasons. No Uber here. So yes, getting it to the service center is a major f’ing ordeal, and even my $40k VW gives me a loaner for warranty work.

You’re being absolutely ridiculous by referencing a dude who needs to take a boat to service as anything compared to normal people.

Expecting an alternative when a car is in for warranty work is not a “Grey Poupon lifestyle”. There’s also a simple solution for Tesla not having to deal with this - fix your QC.

Spending $100k+ does buy entitlement - you should be entitled to basic customer service and reasonable quality.

Good for you, you live where there are ample car services and you have a bevy of neighbors who can take time out of their day to cart you around. That’s not everyone.

Yet another apologist, yet another excuse for Tesla to not improve service.

Oh please. Spare me. I don’t live in Malaysia, I just don’t live down town. And my wife doesn’t currently drive for medical reasons. No Uber here. So yes, getting it to the service center is a major f’ing ordeal, and even my $40k VW gives me a loaner for warranty work.

You’re being absolutely ridiculous by referencing a dude who needs to take a boat to service as anything compared to normal people.

Expecting an alternative when a car is in for warranty work is not a “Grey Poupon lifestyle”. There’s also a simple solution for Tesla not having to deal with this - fix your QC.

Spending $100k+ does buy entitlement - you should be entitled to basic customer service and reasonable quality.

Good for you, you live where there are ample car services and you have a bevy of neighbors who can take time out of their day to cart you around. That’s not everyone.

Yet another apologist, yet another excuse for Tesla to not improve service.
Buying a car that’s unsupported and never expecting it to have any issues is not realistic
The Malaysia fellow was an illustration or extreme of someone who should have known what to expect.

The failure here is spending 100k+ without doing your homework.
There are enough forums and complaints about your pet peeve that should have waved you off.

But yet the whine, Your VW dealer gives loaners? Well Ford, Chevy, Nissan, Mazda by me don’t. My VW doesn’t either but they will drop you at Enterprise. My two old Mercedes dealer had loaners, for a price.
And with the SL always there for an A or B service I was glad they did. My wife’s Subaru dealer laughed.

Having a free spare car at your beck and call is not basic customer service.

Again if being Serviced is import to you find a ‘dealer network’ that will cart you around for any failure, or failing that a car that never breaks. Tesla doesn’t have dealers.…….

‘Good luck and happy motoring

I have to agree that Tesla service is the worst i’ve ever come across. I took my model 3 in for a 1pm service appointment on a Friday to check an alert after replacing 2 tires after a flat. Big MISTAKE. “It will be ready at 5pm”. About an hour later I see in the app that the service will be done Sept. 19 at 2:45pm. Today is Friday Sept. 2. I find no way to call them or “communicate with the app”. When I try communicating by phone or with the app I get nowhere meaning I learn nothing, like are they really planning on keeping the car until Sept. 19? I did drive the car in just fine.

So I go back to the service center and they give me a flip answer to the Sept. 19 (oh that just gets in there) return date and finally tell me it will be ready on Monday. No problem I tell them I’ll bring it back in Monday morning so that you can finish whatever. ”No you can’t have the car until Monday at 5pm.” If I hadn’t gone back in they would have closed at 5pm with no communication as to what was happening. As I said when I dropped the car off they said come back at 5pm. They close at 5pm and I learned that if I’d shown up at 5:15pm they would have simply been closed. So that is two strikes.

So I now find an invoice for service work including “Replace Refrigerant Pressure/Temperature Sensors” which has nothing to do with the simple reason I’d brought the car in for, still haven’t been communicated about, did my own homework to find it is a recall service situation. And Update Vehicle Firmware to Correct Seat Belt Chime Functionality and Install O-ring On Trunk Power Strut. None of these extra items were mentioned as even a possibility or EVER communicated to me. I just stumbled onto the invoice in the app.

I have never had a service call go off the rails like this where there was no communication about what was to happen and how long it would take. If they had communicated with me at all I wohld simply have said please set up another service time next week and I’ll bring it back then and leave it.

I‘m 73 years old and didn’t realize that this level of lack of communication was a possibility since about 1990. You take a car in, discuss expectations including what might impact expectations and go forward. Tesla said nothing except it will be ready at 5pm And then later I stumble onto a list of issues that weren’t on the table when I brought it in And a finish time two weeks from now. I felt like calling the sheriff to have someone arrested as my car has been highjacked.

In addition Tesla cars don’t have spares or a jack. So if you are traveling to remote areas know about tires for your Tesla. If your tire can’t be fixed you will have to buy a tire to get to where you can buy proper tires for a Tesla. And if you aren’t savy or even if you are you will probably be presented with all kinds of inaccurate info to get you to spend all kinds of money to get on the road again.

I have to agree that Tesla service is the worst i’ve ever come across. I took my model 3 in for a 1pm service appointment on a Friday to check an alert after replacing 2 tires after a flat. Big MISTAKE. “It will be ready at 5pm”. About an hour later I see in the app that the service will be done Sept. 19 at 2:45pm. Today is Friday Sept. 2. I find no way to call them or “communicate with the app”. When I try communicating by phone or with the app I get nowhere meaning I learn nothing, like are they really planning on keeping the car until Sept. 19? I did drive the car in just fine.

So I go back to the service center and they give me a flip answer to the Sept. 19 (oh that just gets in there) return date and finally tell me it will be ready on Monday. No problem I tell them I’ll bring it back in Monday morning so that you can finish whatever. ”No you can’t have the car until Monday at 5pm.” If I hadn’t gone back in they would have closed at 5pm with no communication as to what was happening. As I said when I dropped the car off they said come back at 5pm. They close at 5pm and I learned that if I’d shown up at 5:15pm they would have simply been closed. So that is two strikes.

So I now find an invoice for service work including “Replace Refrigerant Pressure/Temperature Sensors” which has nothing to do with the simple reason I’d brought the car in for, still haven’t been communicated about, did my own homework to find it is a recall service situation. And Update Vehicle Firmware to Correct Seat Belt Chime Functionality and Install O-ring On Trunk Power Strut. None of these extra items were mentioned as even a possibility or EVER communicated to me. I just stumbled onto the invoice in the app.

I have never had a service call go off the rails like this where there was no communication about what was to happen and how long it would take. If they had communicated with me at all I wohld simply have said please set up another service time next week and I’ll bring it back then and leave it.

I‘m 73 years old and didn’t realize that this level of lack of communication was a possibility since about 1990. You take a car in, discuss expectations including what might impact expectations and go forward. Tesla said nothing except it will be ready at 5pm And then later I stumble onto a list of issues that weren’t on the table when I brought it in And a finish time two weeks from now. I felt like calling the sheriff to have someone arrested as my car has been highjacked.

In addition Tesla cars don’t have spares or a jack. So if you are traveling to remote areas know about tires for your Tesla. If your tire can’t be fixed you will have to buy a tire to get to where you can buy proper tires for a Tesla. And if you aren’t savy or even if you are you will probably be presented with all kinds of inaccurate info to get you to spend all kinds of money to get on the road again.
Could Tesla improve the service experience ? Absolutely

When ever you make a service appointment you are presented with an Invoice.
It outlines
1. When to bring you car in
2. A statement of Work
3. Projected costs
4. Completion date
5. Your signature authorizing the work

Signing the invoice in the App or On-site should have set your expectations……..

Now this invoice will change depending on what they find when they actually have a look at your car.

These changes can effect
1. Statement of work, more items could be added to the list.
2. Completion time, could expand or contract depending on the work and parts required.
3. Costs, could increase or be waived under warranty.

The recall assessment would push out the date on the invoice to when the parts and additional work could or would be performed. That should not have changed your original agreed upon delivery date
Additional recall work might have required another approval in the App or on-site.

Once most service departments including Tesla have your car they will keep it until the agreed upon date.
The time is usually End of day before the department closes, not after.

If your car was disassembled awaiting parts, service will probably not have it ready togo at a moment’s notice if you change your mind.

That said Holidays like Labor Day may prevent a Monday delivery

As for your tire issues a lot of cars have gone to space savers or like Tesla no spare at all.
Thats why roadside assistance is included.
Not ideal but certainly an issue all drivers need to consider and plan for accordingly.

I don’t see Tesla dumping the App centric approach and moving toward a personal service consultant like a Lexus, Infiniti, Mercedes, etc dealership.

For now, Consumers can only vote with their wallets.

Thank you notrhj. It would have been nice if the folks ar Tesla had told me this As this form of communication is better than nothing. It wouldn’t have solved all the communication issues however. For example you can pick up your completed car “during normal business hours”. The Tigard Oregon Cascade service center is not listed as an active Service Center on Tesla’s website so no hours are given.

And it turns out they were open on labor day.

This is purposely being done by Tesla. They make it impossible to reach Tesla Service.
They have no telephone number, no email and not even online chat window. The app is the only form of communications and that only works when you schedule something that is on the list they provide. Some chat will take place on the app but once they close that chat window they are done with you even if the car is not. They damaged my Model 3 during a passenger windows swap. I have been busy with work but emails either bounce back or get unanswered and no way of reaching them on the phone. I am taking time off work just to show up in person on Monday and either get something scheduled for repair or reach out to my attorney for damages and times wasted plus attorney fees.

Just canceled my Model Y order for my wife also. I do like my car a lot, please don't get me wrong. Have a New Model 3 Performance with a stinky AC Smell and various rattles but I do like the drive, performance and the minimalist look. Car build quality and Tesla service does not match the price they are asking for these cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: DustinT
You CAN reach service by phone now, at least in the USA Socal area

If you hang on past option three on the phone menu, you will get a prompt to connect with the service center. You will be put through to "Socal service support"