Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service late 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it's fashionable on the boards to bash Tesla service, but i wanted to share my experience with the latest episode.

I had a minor issue with my MCU1 (replaced in April or May of this year under warranty). I set up an appointment on the app, and was given a time to drop the car off at the local service center three days later. I dropped the car off the morning, and they texted me as i pulled in to the lot. asking me to leave the key in the car and telling me which loaner to grab. I was there for literally less than a minute.

Two hours later they texted me that it was done, and i could review the invoice (all zeros, covered under waranty without deductible) in the app. I swung over at lunch and again it took less than a minute to swap back into my car. No contact with (potentially infectious) humans at all.

IN 5.5 years, I've only had a few relatively minor issues, and in each case Tesla has been pleasant and extremely efficient.

I know that I live in flyover country and not Southern California, so things may be different here, but I literally can't find a single thing to complain about. I'm quick to praise good work, but those who know me know that I'm equally quick to criticize slow, sloppy or incompetent service.

Just my $0.02

I know it's fashionable on the boards to bash Tesla service, but i wanted to share my experience with the latest episode.

I had a minor issue with my MCU1 (replaced in April or May of this year under warranty). I set up an appointment on the app, and was given a time to drop the car off at the local service center three days later. I dropped the car off the morning, and they texted me as i pulled in to the lot. asking me to leave the key in the car and telling me which loaner to grab. I was there for literally less than a minute.

Two hours later they texted me that it was done, and i could review the invoice (all zeros, covered under waranty without deductible) in the app. I swung over at lunch and again it took less than a minute to swap back into my car. No contact with (potentially infectious) humans at all.

IN 5.5 years, I've only had a few relatively minor issues, and in each case Tesla has been pleasant and extremely efficient.

I know that I live in flyover country and not Southern California, so things may be different here, but I literally can't find a single thing to complain about. I'm quick to praise good work, but those who know me know that I'm equally quick to criticize slow, sloppy or incompetent service.

Just my $0.02
What I wouldn't give to be able to share this experience with our local nightmare factories... err I mean service centers.

• Funny
Reactions: Barry and 1windy

Just my $0.02

well.i had appointment today for orange bleed on the front bumper, lift gate alignment and bugs in rear tail light....I was reminded the day before by text....given instructions for leaving key and car.....I got there 15 min early and as soon as I drove in the driveway, got a text welcoming me to Tesla service center.....a guy was there and he asked me to park the car and leave the keys....he told me someone would call me in 5 min to go over the issues on my repair order.....in exactly 5 min, got a call and was able to go over in detail my issues....Eric told me how to activate the Uber app for free $200 credits and he would call me to advise me on status.....so far so good

at 2pm. I called meh and he told me the tail light complete and they were going to clean and lookout the orange bleed...I requested they remove the bumper because cleaning it would not get to the root cause of the orange bleeding...Eric called me back in 10 min and told me they had the issue and root cause....The beam in the front was rusting and needed to be replaced, it was not the bolts holding the bumper on....They did not have the part on hand and have to order it....Appt for 4 Dec.....

The next issue was the tail gate gap and lower middle going up the left side....They did not get to it but have re-scheudled that for 4 Dec as well....

Overall. I was very pleased with the service even though all was not completed...But they did what they said they would do and communicate with me all day....this is what is expected.....they were pleasant and listened to me concerns....when I told Eric that cleaning the bumper would not get to root cause, his response was, let me go look and get back with you ....and he did....

so, I am very satisfied with today.....even thought the car was not completed, I was given Uber credits and even offered a enterprise rental car...I elected to have my wife follow me over and take me back (<8 miles)....it appears that Costa Mesa has gotten a lot better and I am not so hesitant about going there if I need to in the future....I would hope the new service center in lake forest is as good.....

I can't complain about service in Austin, TX, though I've never had a major issue with the car. The few minor issues I've had were handled competently by mobile service and the Austin service center.

The problem is that Tesla lost me as a follow-on customer when they told me the ugly yellow screen border on my less than year old 2018 Model S was not covered by the warranty, and that they would do a 'one-time' 'courtesy' UV light repair, months later. Maybe I'll change my mind once I'm in the market for a new EV, though there may be much more competition by that time.

My main screen treatment is holding up so far. My IC screen has the yellow border issue as well, but it's not as noticeable so I haven't contacted service about resolving it yet.

Tesla would not have lost my trust if they just stated that the problem was covered under warranty. I'm ok with them holding off on fixing until they had a way to treat it. And I understand that they didn't want to replace thousands of screens with no guarantee that the problem wouldn't reoccur over time.

Reactions: P100D_Me
OOH, I want to jump in here.
I had my 2013 MS P85 in for service at the Pomona, CA service center recently.
I took Tessie in because she was would not connect to my phone, voice control, or app.
Dropped off before opening, put key in box.
About an hour after service opened, I received a call to approve replacing a daughter board to fix problem.($350). I ok'd this and asked about 3g to better update. Was told about an hour later $500 to upgrade to LTE. I Ok'd that too...
That's when things went sideways. on my way home from work, my service rep called and said "So...about your car"
They broke the MCU when doing the LTE upgrade...And did not have a replacement delivery date, so they gave me a shiny MS85D to drive in the meantime. NO CHARGE...
1 week, 2 days later, I'm called that my car was almost ready, when the Battery started acting up!!! (8 year unlimited mileage warranty)
2 more weeks later, I have a New(Refurb) battery, a new MCU, LTE, and connectivity back.
I am MORE THAN HAPPY with Tesla Service so far.
I sure hope they read this thread occasionally...

• Love
Reactions: David29
I took Tessie in because she was would not connect to my phone, voice control, or app.
About an hour after service opened, I received a call to approve replacing a daughter board to fix problem.($350). I ok'd this and asked about 3g to better update. Was told about an hour later $500 to upgrade to LTE. I Ok'd that too...
That's when things went sideways. on my way home from work, my service rep called and said "So...about your car"
They broke the MCU when doing the LTE upgrade...And did not have a replacement delivery date, so they gave me a shiny MS85D to drive in the meantime. NO CHARGE...
1 week, 2 days later, I'm called that my car was almost ready, when the Battery started acting up!!! (8 year unlimited mileage warranty)
2 more weeks later, I have a New(Refurb) battery, a new MCU, LTE, and connectivity back.
And now your MCU replacement should be covered under warranty, but not the LTE. Contact the SC and ask for refund.

Can you take a pic of the battery sticker? Would be interested to see replacement pack you received.

I've been quite happy with all the service I have had at the Dedham (MA) service center over the past 5-1/2 years. My only issue has been with occasional busy periods when I could not get service as soon as I'd like. And once I had a terrible delay getting roadside assistance. I have gotten a loaner every time I needed one, without asking for one. Some of the loaners were Enterprise rentals, but were fine. Now Dedham has their own loaners and no longer use Enterprise (or so they said at my last appointment a few months ago). Most important, all the work was done right the first time, to the best of my recollection.