TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla service loaner policy

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by andrewket, Dec 25, 2016.

1. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

#1 andrewket, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2016
    I traded in my P85D for a P100D a few days ago, and there were a few minor items that Tesla service is going to take care of during an appointment in late Jan.

Generally I schedule my service appointments for when a Tesla loaner is available, even if that means waiting a few additional weeks. I've been driving a model S since early 2013, and we now only own electric cars powered in part by solar. I can't stand ICE cars anymore. I'll go way out of my way to stay electric.

So I was quite dismayed to be told by my service center that Tesla will no longer be offering Tesla loaners starting in January; only cars via enterprise. I told them I was disappointed by this change, and they said they were too, but the decision came from above.

My guess is Tesla is looking ahead to model 3, with smaller margins on the sale of the car, combined with their goal of not making any money on service and needing to reduce costs. They're making the change now to reset customer expectations and to make this a company wide change vs a model 3 change later.

I considered the option Tesla has to continue to provide tesla loaners to Model S/X owners only, but that creates an atmosphere of a class system, something I think Tesla is well advised to avoid or at least discourage if possible.

The only solution I've come up with is if Tesla offers Tesla loaners with a daily fee that is subsidized by whatever the amount Tesla would otherwise pay enterprise. I'm disappointed by this decision, even though I understand it. All of the other high end manufacturers provide brand loaners, or more accurately, the dealers of those brands do. I'd hate to see NADA use this as an example on the benefits of a franchised dealer in between the customer and the manufacturer.

Has anyone else been told this by their service center (yet)?

What are your thoughts?

Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Andrew

[Moderator Note: See Jon McNeill's response here: Tesla service loaner policy ]

• Informative x 7
    • Like x 1
  2. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

They should offer premium service for different lines. Model S and X should have free cars to loan based on base price. Model 3 should not have loaners. IMO

• Like x 1
  3. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Grouchy

I'd be happy just to have a Service Center.

I agree with everything you posted.

I'm in the process of purchasing my third Tesla since 2013. Since Dec. 2015 the Model S has been my only vehicle (prior to that with no superchargers anywhere nearby I had an ICE too).

I keep excusing Tesla for what I consider missteps as growing pains. But man are they having a whole lot of "growing pains" lately. They can just about do anything they want right now because they have no competition (in the EV space). I don't like this policy if it indeed holds true. Based on what they charge for service and Elon's repeated statement that "Service is not a profit center" I assumed they had plenty of cushion to provide a loaner.

Mike

• Like x 4
  4. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

What if a fully loaded Model 3 costs more than a base 60 S? Who gets the loaner?

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  5. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Why not have Model 3 loaners?

• Like x 7
    • Love x 3
  6. number12

number12 Active Member

They have a 2 year backlog and TESLA cares about the stock price

7. AssortedBread

AssortedBread Member

Yeah, I think model 3 loaners are inevitable. Non Tesla loaners will be a phase in the service center experience until they get model 3 production that keeps up to demand. (which will sadly be a long time) (Its only sad for service center experience, happy times for Tesla not having to find customers.)

8. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

Wait...tesla isn't going to offer loaners at all to any S/X in service?

• Like x 1
  9. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Not any loaners, Tesla loaners, but I think it also might depend on your service center.

10. number12

number12 Active Member

Guess Tesla's depreciate faster than a cost of an enterprise rental.

I know I put 800 miles on a model S that came to me with 750 miles on it.

Can't help that cars value at all.

11. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

I was told this at the Hong Kong service centre, however it was lifted after I elevated it to a higher level.
    Having a loan car is what I expect, as long I let them tell me when I can have it, from Tesla. One reason I bought this car was to be looked after when the car was being repaired under warranty. It would affect my decision to buy another vehicle if it was no longer available.

12. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

They shld provide crappy cpo loaners (and eventually cheap model 3 loaners) if the cost of current model s and x loaners is too expensive.

The crappiest tesla , or even just having to uber everywhere, is better than going back to ice.

They shld also redouble QC efforts off the assembly line to minimize need for all these punch list items for new deliveries clogging up the service centers.

13. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

This can't be true... I really, really hope it's not as that'll be yet another statement made by Elon that has turned out to be crap... It's absurd that we're forced into an ICE when our ELECTRIC car is in service... Seriously??? Am I the only one who gets really furious about this??? Tesla should be going out of their ways to ensure they aren't promoting ICE cars, yet they've made them a serious cog in their service wheel... Who the hell is making these stupidly absurd decisions???

Our Model X order is on permanent hold and threads like these aren't shorting that window at all...

Jeff

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  14. Dax279

Dax279 Member

Why not offer a shuttle service for people that only need their carbon for the day and Tesla loaners for those that need their car in for longer. If you need a loaner for the day you get an ICE.

15. 182RG

182RG Free The Service Manuals From Tyranny

Damn. Not even a Tweet......?

16. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I can't speak for others, but I'm not upset. I'm just trying to figure out the business reason for doing so.

• Like x 2
  17. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Grouchy

The last tweet I saw (admittedly some time ago) regarding loaners was Elon proclaiming that every time you brought your Tesla in for service you would given a loaner that was an up-sell (or equal if you had the halo car) so that when you were finished with your service appointment you would be so impressed that you'd be ready to order a new one.

• Informative x 1
  18. P85DEE

P85DEE Active Member

Disappointed to hear this, but it could't last forever.

19. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

You can add up a Civic loaded up being coin too. But, When base higher end cars are whole different level customers. And, most of those times those customers expect better customer service.

Vette owners like to be taken care of a lot more than Cruz people just like Viper owners expect more than someone that buys a Neon...

20. Reeler

Reeler 7th Year of Pure EV

All of our visits to service have been for manufacturing flaws, recalls and warranty issues. It is easier to be more forgiving with a nice loaner. Most luxury brands offer loaners. If Tesla stops doing this, I bet owners will be less forgiving for all these growing pains of a startup car company.

• Like x 4