Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service loaner policy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
I traded in my P85D for a P100D a few days ago, and there were a few minor items that Tesla service is going to take care of during an appointment in late Jan.

Generally I schedule my service appointments for when a Tesla loaner is available, even if that means waiting a few additional weeks. I've been driving a model S since early 2013, and we now only own electric cars powered in part by solar. I can't stand ICE cars anymore. I'll go way out of my way to stay electric.

So I was quite dismayed to be told by my service center that Tesla will no longer be offering Tesla loaners starting in January; only cars via enterprise. I told them I was disappointed by this change, and they said they were too, but the decision came from above.

My guess is Tesla is looking ahead to model 3, with smaller margins on the sale of the car, combined with their goal of not making any money on service and needing to reduce costs. They're making the change now to reset customer expectations and to make this a company wide change vs a model 3 change later.

I considered the option Tesla has to continue to provide tesla loaners to Model S/X owners only, but that creates an atmosphere of a class system, something I think Tesla is well advised to avoid or at least discourage if possible.

The only solution I've come up with is if Tesla offers Tesla loaners with a daily fee that is subsidized by whatever the amount Tesla would otherwise pay enterprise. I'm disappointed by this decision, even though I understand it. All of the other high end manufacturers provide brand loaners, or more accurately, the dealers of those brands do. I'd hate to see NADA use this as an example on the benefits of a franchised dealer in between the customer and the manufacturer.

Has anyone else been told this by their service center (yet)?

What are your thoughts?

Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Andrew

[Moderator Note: See Jon McNeill's response here: Tesla service loaner policy ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone else been told this by their service center (yet)?

I'd be happy just to have a Service Center.

What are your thoughts?

I agree with everything you posted.

Does anyone else have any other ideas?

I'm in the process of purchasing my third Tesla since 2013. Since Dec. 2015 the Model S has been my only vehicle (prior to that with no superchargers anywhere nearby I had an ICE too).

I keep excusing Tesla for what I consider missteps as growing pains. But man are they having a whole lot of "growing pains" lately. They can just about do anything they want right now because they have no competition (in the EV space). I don't like this policy if it indeed holds true. Based on what they charge for service and Elon's repeated statement that "Service is not a profit center" I assumed they had plenty of cushion to provide a loaner.

Mike

Yeah, I think model 3 loaners are inevitable. Non Tesla loaners will be a phase in the service center experience until they get model 3 production that keeps up to demand. (which will sadly be a long time) (Its only sad for service center experience, happy times for Tesla not having to find customers.)

I was told this at the Hong Kong service centre, however it was lifted after I elevated it to a higher level.
Having a loan car is what I expect, as long I let them tell me when I can have it, from Tesla. One reason I bought this car was to be looked after when the car was being repaired under warranty. It would affect my decision to buy another vehicle if it was no longer available.

They shld provide crappy cpo loaners (and eventually cheap model 3 loaners) if the cost of current model s and x loaners is too expensive.

The crappiest tesla , or even just having to uber everywhere, is better than going back to ice.

They shld also redouble QC efforts off the assembly line to minimize need for all these punch list items for new deliveries clogging up the service centers.

This can't be true... I really, really hope it's not as that'll be yet another statement made by Elon that has turned out to be crap... It's absurd that we're forced into an ICE when our ELECTRIC car is in service... Seriously??? Am I the only one who gets really furious about this??? Tesla should be going out of their ways to ensure they aren't promoting ICE cars, yet they've made them a serious cog in their service wheel... Who the hell is making these stupidly absurd decisions???

Our Model X order is on permanent hold and threads like these aren't shorting that window at all...

Jeff

This can't be true... I really, really hope it's not as that'll be yet another statement made by Elon that has turned out to be crap... It's absurd that we're forced into an ICE when our ELECTRIC car is in service... Seriously??? Am I the only one who gets really furious about this??? Tesla should be going out of their ways to ensure they aren't promoting ICE cars, yet they've made them a serious cog in their service wheel... Who the hell is making these stupidly absurd decisions???

Our Model X order is on permanent hold and threads like these aren't shorting that window at all...

Jeff
I can't speak for others, but I'm not upset. I'm just trying to figure out the business reason for doing so.

Reactions: KJD and Krugerrand
Damn. Not even a Tweet......?

The last tweet I saw (admittedly some time ago) regarding loaners was Elon proclaiming that every time you brought your Tesla in for service you would given a loaner that was an up-sell (or equal if you had the halo car) so that when you were finished with your service appointment you would be so impressed that you'd be ready to order a new one.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
What if a fully loaded Model 3 costs more than a base 60 S? Who gets the loaner?
You can add up a Civic loaded up being coin too. But, When base higher end cars are whole different level customers. And, most of those times those customers expect better customer service.

Vette owners like to be taken care of a lot more than Cruz people just like Viper owners expect more than someone that buys a Neon...