Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service loaner policy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since Tesla boasted about its loaner program on its blog a couple of years ago perhaps they could be just as communicative with a new blog post explaining why it's changing now (if that indeed is the case).

And perhaps they will. Or won't. They're under no obligation to tell people why they no longer offer a specific service. Want me to start the infinitely long list of businesses that have intended to offer a specific service and then changed it? For all you know, they're keeping this quiet and trying it at just a handful of their busiest service centers to get very specific feedback from those customers and then might decide to reinstate it or go worldwide. Perhaps it's just temporary for a few months. I can think of all sorts of reasons for the change in policy and for not making a blog post of it.

It's always interesting when people's first reaction is to get bent out of shape instead of just simply waiting for all the details before thinking nefarious, promise breaking, we're out to get you blah, blah, blah...

Not every Tesla customer cares about Tesla's "bigger picture" goal. Many of them just want the best car for the money. If Tesla is willing to lose some of those customers and only wants the ones who care about their bigger picture goals then they seem to be getting on the right track.

:rolleyes:

Good thing the Bolt is available for purchase now for those customers who want the best car and don't care about the bigger picture. Oh, wait...not the best car but still feeds the bigger picture. Irony.

LOL I've been on the anti TESLA side this entire thread. But do you know the mark up on a P100DL?

They convert a few customers and it will more than pay for the deprecation. They just have to up manufacturing capacity.

Whatever markup is, your comment about conversion is important only if they have problem selling all P100Ds they can build. If they built regular number of P100Ds as a ratio to full production, then, either 1. practice of using P100Ds is a waste, or 2. need to employ this strategy to move them is concerning.

Now, if Tesla choose to increase ratio of P cars in search of a higher margin, then using above strategy makes sense - I guess, I'll hope this is the case; the whole story looks more logical this way, and there were some earlier nuggets of info along that line. We'll see in the early February...

And I'm not bloody diversifying, there is no company I trust will do better over the next 10 years...

I don't expect Tesla to pay for warranty repairs for excessive launch mode yahoos.
Oh man, I had to go back 3 pages to confirm you really said this. These people (not Yahoo!'s) laid out big bucks for the launch mode capability and no one told them at the time there was a point at which using it would be excessive. The responsibility here is on Tesla not the owner.

This is not true at all. No change in our loaner policy. In fact, we surprised some customers in December with P100D loaners!
What this goes to show is that TMC members should not launch on these reported issues until they are verified. One guy in a service center saying something is not = fact or policy. And, no, Elon can't prevent the occasional off piste employee.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
What this goes to show is that TMC members should not launch on these reported issues until they are verified. One guy in a service center saying something is not = fact or policy. And, no, Elon can't prevent the occasional off piste employee.

While I agree certainly it is good to reserve judgement until something is confirmed, I don't agree this should slow down conversation. It is often the case that verifying something is very difficult and we may have to base our knowledge on very limited and partial data. Yet this does not mean that data is automatically false or misleading, it is just the nature of the beast when dealing with a... rather communications-limited company like Tesla - or any comapny for that matter as companies have their own reasons to keep things private many times. We as users and owners of the product often have different priorities and needs to know, of course...

If everything needed confirmation before converesing, we'd talk about nothing really. :) It is also possible without our conversation Tesla would not have seen the need to interject with their take on the info. So, all good, the discussion took its course, got more accurate over time and added to our information.

Although the issue has been cleared up, it is an issue that will likely rear its ugly head as the Model 3 goes into full production.

I'd love it if Tesla can use some of those Model 3's as loaners

if not: I'd really hope that they'd buy a bunch of Leafs, Volts, and Bolts.
-Leafs for people who just need a day loaner to get to/from work
-Bolts for people who might have further to drive
-Volts for people who are unsure about their distance.

you can get them for reasonable prices.

it would allow us to drive Electric when our cars are in service
it would increase sales of Leafs/Volts/Bolts, which helps "the bigger picture" of mass EV adoption

as Tesla becomes less constrained, it could go to a full Tesla loaner lineup again.

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
This place is full of speculation and misinformation (and yahoos) and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Oh man, I had to go back 3 pages to confirm you really said this.

It's nice to be searched so diligently.

These people (not Yahoo!'s) laid out big bucks for the launch mode capability and no one told them at the time there was a point at which using it would be excessive. The responsibility here is on Tesla not the owner.

"Depending on how launch mode is used, the computer may eventually limit the available power during launch mode to protect the powertrain. Note that this is a common strategy also employed in other high performance cars."

Caveat Emptor

While I agree certainly it is good to reserve judgement until something is confirmed, I don't agree this should slow down conversation. It is often the case that verifying something is very difficult and we may have to base our knowledge on very limited and partial data. Yet this does not mean that data is automatically false or misleading, it is just the nature of the beast when dealing with a... rather communications-limited company like Tesla - or any comapny for that matter as companies have their own reasons to keep things private many times. We as users and owners of the product often have different priorities and needs to know, of course...

If everything needed confirmation before converesing, we'd talk about nothing really. :) It is also possible without our conversation Tesla would not have seen the need to interject with their take on the info. So, all good, the discussion took its course, got more accurate over time and added to our information.
We should report things and we should converse. We should say that, if true, it is an issue. What we should not do is lump in with all of the other "Tesla is screwing us" stuff until we have more evidence. I long ago learned that the service center people often know less than we owners do. So I take "service center told me" with several grains of salt.

Reactions: EinSV and bonnie
I searched because I usually agree with your posts but this one was just wrong factually and I had to confirm you really said this. Tesla sold people a performance feature for a lot of money then took it away to protect warranty claims without offering a refund. I can understand that they didn't intend for this to happen but it did so do the right thing. It's not speculation when you have emails from Tesla to owners and the article you linked also shows it's not speculation. The point that "this is what other manufacturers do" is spin. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Reactions: Andyw2100
We should report things and we should converse. We should say that, if true, it is an issue. What we should not do is lump in with all of the other "Tesla is screwing us" stuff until we have more evidence. I long ago learned that the service center people often know less than we owners do. So I take "service center told me" with several grains of salt.

I agree we have learned to take with a grain of salt things Tesla representatives say. It is not just the SC people. That is part of why these conversations have become so necessary.

2. Suggest to Tesla to sell more cars to Enterprise, so you can rent those from Enterprise?

As per JonMc's post in this thread, Tesla is already doing that:

(I added the bold.)

• During peaks (like winter tire changeovers), we may have to resort to rental cars. It pains us to do this, but helps keep our promise of a loaner to you. To ease this, we've worked with folks at Hertz, Avis, Sixt and Enterprise to add more Teslas to their fleets.

• Informative
Reactions: mmd