Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service marred all my jack points - Should I touch them up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While prepping for a DIY tire rotation I noted all my jack points were marred. A few months back the car was fixed for creaks in the front and rear at a Tesla Service Center. I checked the car at delivery and other times after that and noted no damage before this service. I didn't think to check after the service. I should have learned by now to never trust Tesla service. WTF was Tesla using to lift my car?

The metal for the jack points must be aluminum since a magnet did not stick. Is it worth coating these with something to avoid aluminum corrosion and if so, any recommendations? TIA.

2020-04-23 23.58.03.jpg 2020-04-24 23.02.40.jpg 2020-04-24 23.05.59.jpg 2020-04-24 23.09.31.jpg

I hope you complained to that Service Center, because clearly they didn't use softer jacking pucks. If those are aluminum, its corrosion is self sealing. Meaning, once it turns that whitish color then it won't corrode any farther. That's why Scuba divers love aluminum dive tanks, as there's no need to paint them to prevent corrosion.

I hope you complained to that Service Center, because clearly they didn't use softer jacking pucks. If those are aluminum, its corrosion is self sealing. Meaning, once it turns that whitish color then it won't corrode any farther. That's why Scuba divers love aluminum dive tanks, as there's no need to paint them to prevent corrosion.

I will mull over contacting them. I've had my issues with this SC. Some good, some incompetent, some simply annoying, such as my app showing "Ready for Pickup" for *months* after the service that marred the jack points. I reached out multiple times to them but neither service manager could figure out how to remove it. I finally made an appointment with another Service Center, that got picked up by a mobile tech who fixed it remotely in 5 minutes.
Cropped_Ready.png Ready4pickup-resolved-EDITED.jpg

It's not steal. It's aloominum. No point in worrying about it - move on with your life. I'm extremely OCD and my jack points are far more knackered than yours - don't worry about it, they're jack points. I'd be more annoyed if they were integral to the chassis but they're not - they're part of the battery, which will be like $3,000 on Alibaba once the Chinese reverse-engineer the entire car.

Also the service centers don't use the stupid pucks that we do - their lifts simply have very wide rubberized rectangular pads that are totally OK to use.

Reactions: Ugh! and Evoforce
It's not steal. It's aloominum. No point in worrying about it - move on with your life. I'm extremely OCD and my jack points are far more knackered than yours - don't worry about it, they're jack points. I'd be more annoyed if they were integral to the chassis but they're not - they're part of the battery, which will be like $3,000 on Alibaba once the Chinese reverse-engineer the entire car.

Also the service centers don't use the stupid pucks that we do - their lifts simply have very wide rubberized rectangular pads that are totally OK to use.

Good to hear from the fellow OCD crowd. Thanks!