Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service on 2017 MS gets blown off!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have really reached the end of my rope with Tesla service. I have taken in my 2017 MS on three separate occasions for issues with the MCU1. I won't go into the issues I'm having with the MCU so much as the issues I have with the service period. The first time the said the problem will be fixed in a up coming firmware update. I got the update when it came out but it didn't fix the issue. The second time I got the we are putting our best technician on it. At the end he said it was another firmware update that he scheduled to upload on the car that night. Got the upload, still didn't fix the problem. The third go round I scheduled the appointment again because I was driving the car halfway across the country and I told Tesla this needs to be fixed as I don't want to be on the road and this problem manifest itself. One of the problems I will mention which is the screen blacks out for not reason and comes back whenever it decides to. So you see why I would not want to be on a long road trip and this happens. In any event the day prior to the service appointment, I get a message on the Tesla app saying "due to my issue, they could have my car more than one day and they would not have a loner vehicle for me so if I want to reschedule I could reschedule in the Tesla app. Well I didn't, I took it in anyway. At the time I didn't mind them taking time to fix it because I had another car and I needed the work done before my trip in two weeks. The problem was even though I had the appointment, they never touched the car for three days. What the hell is the appointment system for if you aren't going to honor it.

Well needless to say, they worked on the MCU, I even bought new tires for the trip but low an behold the problems were still there and in some cases worse. I didn't have time after that to schedule again as I had to drive to Texas. I encountered some issues on the drive (1000 miles) but I overcame them. I got to Texas and scheduled an appointment with the Tesla Service center here hoping against hope that things will be different here. I scheduled the appointment about a week ago for the morning of 24 Mar. Guess what message I got on the Tesla app today, the day before the appointment. Almost word for word the message I got from the service center while I was in Georgia about the unforeseen issues, behind schedule and this time it was they may or may not have a loaner car. That was different. But basically asked me if wanted to reschedule because it will be in shop more than a day and yada yada yada. They even offered Uber credits depending on what the length of service is. I don't know what that length of services is to qualify for Uber credits because they didn't say.

Anyway, my feeling is that unless you have a new Tesla, then the service centers will just blow you off as long as they can. My warrenty is up in November and I they know it and don't want to fix the problem to force me into some type of upgrade after the warrenty is gone to make me pay. Its a shame because I love the car. I have talked it up every chance I got to people that asked about it and so on. I can no longer in good faith do that anymore based on my experience with the service and it seems it is that way not matter where you are in this country. The first year or two, the service was great and now its virtually non existent. SMH!!!

Last edited:
I have really reached the end of my rope with Tesla service. I have taken in my 2017 MS on three separate occasions for issues with the MCU1. I won't go into the issues I'm having with the MCU so much as the issues I have with the service period. The first time the said the problem will be fixed in a up coming firmware update. I got the update when it came out but it didn't fix the issue. The second time I got the we are putting our best technician on it. At the end he said it was another firmware update that he scheduled to upload on the car that night. Got the upload, still didn't fix the problem. The third go round I scheduled the appointment again because I was driving the car halfway across the country and I told Tesla this needs to be fixed as I don't want to be on the road and this problem manifest itself. One of the problems I will mention which is the screen blacks out for not reason and comes back whenever it decides to. So you see why I would not want to be on a long road trip and this happens. In any event the day prior to the service appointment, I get a message on the Tesla app saying "due to my issue, they could have my car more than one day and they would not have a loner vehicle for me so if I want to reschedule I could reschedule in the Tesla app. Well I didn't, I took it in anyway. At the time I didn't mind them taking time to fix it because I had another car and I needed the work done before my trip in two weeks. The problem was even though I had the appointment, they never touched the car for three days. What the hell is the appointment system for if you aren't going to honor it.

Well needless to say, they worked on the MCU, I even bought new tires for the trip but low an behold the problems were still there and in some cases worse. I didn't have time after that to schedule again as I had to drive to Texas. I encountered some issues on the drive (1000 miles) but I overcame them. I got to Texas and scheduled an appointment with the Tesla Service center here hoping against hope that things will be different here. I scheduled the appointment about a week ago for the morning of 24 Mar. Guess what message I got on the Tesla app today, the day before the appointment. Almost word for word the message I got from the service center while I was in Georgia about the unforeseen issues, behind schedule and this time it was they may or may not have a loaner car. That was different. But basically asked me if wanted to reschedule because it will be in shop more than a day and yada yada yada. They even offered Uber credits depending on what the length of service is. I don't know what that length of services is to qualify for Uber credits because they didn't say.

Anyway, my feeling is that unless you have a new Tesla, then the service centers will just blow you off as long as they can. My warrenty is up in November and I they know it and don't want to fix the problem to force me into some type of upgrade after the warrenty is gone to make me pay. Its a shame because I love the car. I have talked it up every chance I got to people that asked about it and so on. I can no longer in good faith do that anymore based on my experience with the service and it seems it is that way not matter where you are in this country. The first year or two, the service was great and now its virtually non existent. SMH!!!
Sorry to hear your tale of woes... unfortunately this is now standard practice for Tesla and their customer service is a disgrace.

you need to get MCU2. that is the only fix.
Agree. This is an easy fix for $1500. I get that you almost certainly think you shouldn’t have to pay for it, and we can debate the merit of that all day long, but $1500 to fix the problem for good and avoid repeatedly dealing with Tesla service is a goddamn bargain.

Agree. This is an easy fix for $1500. I get that you almost certainly think you shouldn’t have to pay for it, and we can debate the merit of that all day long, but $1500 to fix the problem for good and avoid repeatedly dealing with Tesla service is a goddamn bargain.

I second and third this recommendation. Forget about MCU1 and just get MCU2. I did it when it was $2500 and never regretted it. Now that it’s $1500, it’s a no brainer. You actually get more features, more speed, and best of all more reliability! No matter what they say about fixing MCU1 issues even with the forced recall, it’s 100% better to just bite the bullet and get the MCU2 upgrade!

interesting thoughts about just biting the bullet and paying for the mcu2. I am also having issues with Tesla service in general. I have a model s out of warranty and a model x with about 9 months left. Both cars have mcu1 . Both are starting to have issues including mcu ones. Tesla has started making me schedule appointments at the service center (3 hours away one way) that they previously would have fixed with mobile service. Tesla will not fix the mcu in the x despite it having issues. I am taking the car in for service and the car will already be taken apart . it just makes sense to fix it at the same time since it is clearly having trouble. I am just getting the runaround( when I can get someone to respond) about firmware updates are just needed. This has been done already and it didn't fix the screen blanking out, freezing, or 10 minute plus reboots. I'm planning on keeping the x so i might consider doing this.

Model s is going away. Heat hasn't worked since mid Feb. Once I have time to take it to the service center and get it fixed, I am going to list if for sale. I don't feel like dealing with 2 needy cars with a current lack of service with Tesla. I can handle one and use the farm truck as backup if needed. I already bought a pacifica hybrid for the wife. This will have to hold us over until there is viable EV competition with local service available.

It sounds more like it's an eMMC issue where the chip isn't completely dead yet, but also not in the zone where Tesla would replace it? Did you get the recall on this? This should give you an 8GB eMMC and would stabilise the issues with MCU1.

Tesla has started making me schedule appointments at the service center (3 hours away one way) that they previously would have fixed with mobile service.
If you submit the address of the SC in the app, it will make an appointment for the SC. If you submit your home or work address in the app, you can get mobile service, depending on what the service is about.

I learned this after a few SC appointments and always wondering why other people got mobile service.

It sounds more like it's an eMMC issue where the chip isn't completely dead yet, but also not in the zone where Tesla would replace it? Did you get the recall on this? This should give you an 8GB eMMC and would stabilise the issues with MCU1.
I thought so also. I took it in to the Tesla Service center this morning. They claim they don't have the parts for the eMMC yet and don't know when they will get them. I just rescheduled my appointment since they didn't have a loaner car either. I just moved into this town and my house won't be ready to move in for a couple weeks so I can deal with Uber vouchers right now. I may just go for the MCU2 as others suggested but I just want to make sure I'm not bringing problems of the current MCU with me to the new one.

I second and third this recommendation. Forget about MCU1 and just get MCU2. I did it when it was $2500 and never regretted it. Now that it’s $1500, it’s a no brainer. You actually get more features, more speed, and best of all more reliability! No matter what they say about fixing MCU1 issues even with the forced recall, it’s 100% better to just bite the bullet and get the MCU2 upgrade!

Exactly. Why fart around with something like what the OP is doing when paying about 2% of the original price of the vehicle, you can get a part that makes the vehicle feel good as new? Yes I suppose it’s the principle of the idea, etc. But is it really worth the stress?

I’m looking forward to my upgrade once the service center near me opens up. Even though my MCU1 is still working sufficiently, I’m going to upgrade. I too have a 2017 MS and might as well take advantage of the extra AP hardware cameras. The VAST majority that have upgraded, have said its well worth it.

Last edited:
I did the MCU2 upgrade as well. It was an easy decision(except for the fact that I had to give up V8 and now have supercharging 1/3rd slower than before.

That said, if you can get them to verify that the MCU issue you're having falls within the NHTSA recall, then they're supposed to give you an additional discount off the $1500.

A member in Washington showed me an invoice for $204 for the MCU2 upgrade on his P85D.

I did the MCU2 upgrade as well. It was an easy decision(except for the fact that I had to give up V8 and now have supercharging 1/3rd slower than before.

That said, if you can get them to verify that the MCU issue you're having falls within the NHTSA recall, then they're supposed to give you an additional discount off the $1500.

A member in Washington showed me an invoice for $204 for the MCU2 upgrade on his P85D.
Good to know... can you post the details on the invoice to help other TMC members?

The MCU2 upgrade is worth every penny (just keep in mind you have to pay extra if you want FM radio and there's no way to get AM radio), but don't expect it to be perfect. I've had the occasional MCU2 crash while driving, and unlike MCU1 it will result in both displays going fully black for a minute or so (since MCU2 controls IC2, whereas MCU1 and IC1 were independent). It's weird driving with fully dark screens (FYI turn signals work and I believe AP continued to work if I recall, but no chimes or audio feedback).

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
The MCU2 upgrade is worth every penny (just keep in mind you have to pay extra if you want FM radio and there's no way to get AM radio), but don't expect it to be perfect. I've had the occasional MCU2 crash while driving, and unlike MCU1 it will result in both displays going fully black for a minute or so (since MCU2 controls IC2, whereas MCU1 and IC1 were independent). It's weird driving with fully dark screens (FYI turn signals work and I believe AP continued to work if I recall, but no chimes or audio feedback).
Thanks for the info. I inquired about the cost at the Service Center in San Antonio and they are saying $2000 + tax, not the $1500 I being reading about. So I'm trying to figure out what gives here!

Thanks for the info. I inquired about the cost at the Service Center in San Antonio and they are saying $2000 + tax, not the $1500 I being reading about. So I'm trying to figure out what gives here!
Regarding eMMC recall:

MCU/Infotainment upgrade:

Owners of compatible vehicles can schedule an appointment through the Tesla app for purchase and installation. This upgrade is available for $2,000 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $1,500 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles. Owners may confirm Autopilot Computer type by selecting ‘Controls’ > ‘Software’ > ‘Additional Vehicle Information’ on the touchscreen.

• Helpful
Reactions: aerodyne and ucmndd
Regarding eMMC recall:

MCU/Infotainment upgrade:
Heh, interesting. I think that’s new?
Used to be $2500 for everyone, and then I thought it was $1500 for everyone, and now $1500/$2000 dependent on AP setup.