Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service on 2017 MS gets blown off!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That said, if you can get them to verify that the MCU issue you're having falls within the NHTSA recall, then they're supposed to give you an additional discount off the $1500.

I haven't heard that anywhere. What they have said is that if you had the MCU issue verified, while out of warranty, and upgraded to MCU2 to resolve it, before the recall, that you would possibly get some reimbursement for upgrade cost.

I have really reached the end of my rope with Tesla service. I have taken in my 2017 MS on three separate occasions for issues with the MCU1. I won't go into the issues I'm having with the MCU so much as the issues I have with the service period. The first time the said the problem will be fixed in a up coming firmware update. I got the update when it came out but it didn't fix the issue. The second time I got the we are putting our best technician on it. At the end he said it was another firmware update that he scheduled to upload on the car that night. Got the upload, still didn't fix the problem. The third go round I scheduled the appointment again because I was driving the car halfway across the country and I told Tesla this needs to be fixed as I don't want to be on the road and this problem manifest itself. One of the problems I will mention which is the screen blacks out for not reason and comes back whenever it decides to. So you see why I would not want to be on a long road trip and this happens. In any event the day prior to the service appointment, I get a message on the Tesla app saying "due to my issue, they could have my car more than one day and they would not have a loner vehicle for me so if I want to reschedule I could reschedule in the Tesla app. Well I didn't, I took it in anyway. At the time I didn't mind them taking time to fix it because I had another car and I needed the work done before my trip in two weeks. The problem was even though I had the appointment, they never touched the car for three days. What the hell is the appointment system for if you aren't going to honor it.

Well needless to say, they worked on the MCU, I even bought new tires for the trip but low an behold the problems were still there and in some cases worse. I didn't have time after that to schedule again as I had to drive to Texas. I encountered some issues on the drive (1000 miles) but I overcame them. I got to Texas and scheduled an appointment with the Tesla Service center here hoping against hope that things will be different here. I scheduled the appointment about a week ago for the morning of 24 Mar. Guess what message I got on the Tesla app today, the day before the appointment. Almost word for word the message I got from the service center while I was in Georgia about the unforeseen issues, behind schedule and this time it was they may or may not have a loaner car. That was different. But basically asked me if wanted to reschedule because it will be in shop more than a day and yada yada yada. They even offered Uber credits depending on what the length of service is. I don't know what that length of services is to qualify for Uber credits because they didn't say.

Anyway, my feeling is that unless you have a new Tesla, then the service centers will just blow you off as long as they can. My warrenty is up in November and I they know it and don't want to fix the problem to force me into some type of upgrade after the warrenty is gone to make me pay. Its a shame because I love the car. I have talked it up every chance I got to people that asked about it and so on. I can no longer in good faith do that anymore based on my experience with the service and it seems it is that way not matter where you are in this country. The first year or two, the service was great and now its virtually non existent. SMH!!!
I hear ya it’s not just Tesla service cost is high many staff are overworked, I don’t like the fact that they will tell you how they will respond and resolve the issue , the customer is always right over been told.