Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service on new Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We sold our 2018 Prius and decided to brave the new world of Tesla. We ordered or Tesla Y, long range dual motor online June 9. Our car was ready for pickup July 7 in Salt Lake City. One month. Not bad. We should have known that since no closer Tesla dealers were available (we live in Preston, Idaho) that service would be an issue. It is a two-hour one-way trip into South Salt Lake City. We arrived in SLC and were given a 10-minute orientation to our new EV. We learned out how to use an app, charge the car, and simple commands like navigation, light, climate, and adjusting the mirrors. PERIOD.!!

When we got home, we checked out the car. We opened the front trunk to inspect. It would not lock. We tried pushing down with all our might. The car warned us that it was open, and we could not drive over 15 MPH. After much consternation, we finally applied much pressure (force) and it locked.

We decided to take a trip to Las Vegas to try out this new computer on wheels. We left with a 93% charge from home. Used the navigation to plot our trip. Supercharge station in Nephi was adequate and several ports available. Next stop was Beaver, Utah where we were only allowed limited charge due to many cars in line. Off to St. George, Utah where a line of 9 Teslas were waiting to supercharge. That was an hour and a half wait and then found that the "Supercharge" was a level two quality at best. Also learned, that unlike the ICE cars, using the bathrooms, picking up a snack and fueling were not all in one place. More time on our trip.

The auto steering was acting wacky. Would not tolerate the slightest curve, bump or wind gust on I-15. It kept shutting off.

As we cruised along, the computer screen started to indicate temperature was 120- then 140- then 150!! Not sure if that is bad or typical. It was a hot day, (ambient temperature was 113 degrees) and it was 3:30 PM and not sure what to do. Stop?? in the middle of the desert??

We drove to our second home (another 120 miles) at 20% charge in Las Vegas and put it on a 120V charger. It ran all night, roaring like crazy- but the climate needs superpassed the available charge. At 5 Am we drove to a Tesla supercharger and it took about 40% charge and then the car completely shut down. DEAD! Now what? We texted for service. There is no human contact to do anything with TESLA. We waited for 45 minutes. A tow company called us and asked our location and where did we want a tow. Since it was Sunday morning and Tesla was closed, we decided to tow it to our home. As we were talking with the tow company, the Tesla Y suddenly started again. We declined the tow and drove 4 miles to home and put it back on the 120V charger. Roaring all day and night. Tried to get a service appointment and the next available was one week away and we were not able to wait a week.

We drove to Las Vegas Tesla. Since we had no appointment, they said we would be "worked in” The rep said it could be days. We were stranded and I explained we had to leave for Idaho on Saturday. I asked for a loaner and they provided one. Our car sat at Las Vegas Tesla from Monday morning until the following Saturday morning. Each night we got a text that made no sense. Night one, you are in the que. Night two, your information is being downloaded. Night three, Sorry for the misinformation, your car is still not in the shop, Night four, the technician is looking at the data, night five, your car is ready for pickup in stall #20. Your invoice will be sent to you. No invoice ever came. I texted back "What was wrong and where do I leave the loaner car? No answer. We drove out Saturday morning to Las Vegas Tesla and no "stalls" were numbered. There was nowhere to park our loaner. We drove around the building several times and saw a technician outside and stopped him to inquire where #20 was. He pointed to an area. We asked what was wrong and what did they do? He could not tell us. He told us to go into the service department and inquire. We did and a technician came out and said he was sorry that we did not get an invoice but would have it sent again. BTW, we NEVER got that invoice. HE, nor anyone would talk to us as to why the car was running at 150 degrees, why the auto pilot was not operating properly, but he did say that the latch on the front trunk was replaced.

MAJOR ISSUES:

1. Service:
If anyone is buying a Tesla, make sure you live near a service center. If I make a service appointment, I never expected that it would take days and several nights in a hotel. There is no way to talk to a human. When you call Tesla Las Vegas, the phone gave options to select. Every option ended in a dropped call. In other words- no contact.

2. AVAILABILITY of TESLA Charging stations:
TESLA supercharger stations along the I-15 from Idaho to Las Vegas contribute to range anxiety. The trip took 12 hours. We usually do this same trip in our Prius in8-9 hours. Part of the issue is waiting for overcrowded supercharging stations and finding restrooms. We found that is sorely missing at current charging locations.

3. Emergency repair service:
All service is dedicated to appointments. If you have a non-operating Tesla and are on route to another city, you are stranded for days.

4. Availability OF SOMEONE TO EXPLAIN THE FUNCTIONS (OR NON-FUNCTION) OF THIS EV after service. What happened and how should we deal with it in the future? Did operating the car at 150 degrees harm it?? We still do not know.

5. Availability of Supercharge Stations:
range anxiety was a real issue for us. When you arrive at a supercharge station to find a line of 9 Teslas waiting to charge puts your trip at a real disadvantage and adds houws to the trip.

6. Dealer Prep:
Finally, a car costing $56,000 should have no issues as our Tesla did. It should be checked out. A delivery agent should ensure that the new owner (especially if this is the first EV they have ever owned) is thoroughly trained, or a phone help number be available to answer questions as they arise.

Yes, our car no longer overheats, the front trunk is now accessible and the auto pilot, while not amazing seems to handle curves better. The car has amazing pickup and we love the visibility of the windows. I miss Prius blind spot indicator.

If anyone asks about our new Tesla, we cannot help but tell our service issues. Tesla is selling new EV's at an amazing rate. Service Centers should be available and sufficient supercharging stations as well. I-15 from Preston Idaho to Las Vegas has a real availability issue. I still wonder if we purchased a lemon due to the overheating issues and auto pilot malfunction we experienced. Still don't know what happened and what we should do if the issue occurs again.

Sorry to hear about your issues. Where does the car indicate 120, 130 or 150 temperature? I haven't seen that (thankfully).
Being a new EV owner (1 month for me) is learning all new terminology and issues. No more opening up the hood to see steam coming from the radiator, no we chose to go more futuristic.
I am trying to schedule my first service appointment and sadly, I also live far away from the nearest SC. In my request I asked specifically for a mobile repair as I didn't want to lose a day of work to get the car fixed. They have indicated that may be possible, but with Tesla, I'll believe it when it happens.

You may be familiar with these sites, but maybe others may not. These are some of the sites I find useful.
Supercharger | Tesla
A Better Routeplanner
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

• Informative
Reactions: raggedy
I am willing to put up with some of the nonsense OP describes but same as them, any time anyone asks me about my Tesla, I can never recommend purchasing one.

Too many headaches with fit and finish and Service for the price point.

Tesla relies on word of mouth advertising so they may want to take a hard look at these issues.

• Informative
I am willing to put up with some of the nonsense OP describes but same as them, any time anyone asks me about my Tesla, I can never recommend purchasing one.

Too many headaches with fit and finish and Service for the price point.

Tesla relies on word of mouth advertising so they may want to take a hard look at these issues.
Never?
If you’re a two or three car family that can afford to pay a premium for a car, both in time and cash, I highly recommend them.

I’d recommend them to those in EV friendly metros.

I’m smitten by their instant torque, which is perfect for my local driving habits

Reactions: Dennisis
If Tesla's supercharger network is their top rated attribute, then the lack of Service Centers is their Achilles Heel and their lack of human to human communication comes in a close second to last. The above is on Tesla...
Taking a long trip in a brand new vehicle without a proper local driving shakedown period and lack of sufficient orientation is on the new owner.
For the life of me I can't understand why people let Tesla get away with things like a 10-minute orientation? OP.. you just spent $60K on a new car... insist that Sparky at the delivery center answers every single question you have, at $15/hour he can afford to spend some time with you!

Never?
If you’re a two or three car family that can afford to pay a premium for a car, both in time and cash, I highly recommend them.

I’d recommend them to those in EV friendly metros.

I’m smitten by their instant torque, which is perfect for my local driving habits
Never without a major caveat.

If it’s your 3rd vehicle and you just want it for fun, sure. But I don’t know too many folks looking to experiment with $60-120K that way.

Never without a major caveat.

If it’s your 3rd vehicle and you just want it for fun, sure. But I don’t know too many folks looking to experiment with $60-120K that way.
Can't understand this at all. Maybe because we live within 30 minutes of two service centers. We always had one car more than we needed, just so there was always a backup. Replaced my Acura TL with a Model 3 two years ago, but still had the extra car. When that car was totaled and I got a new one (AWD this time), we got rid of the Jeep Wrangler as I figured we didn't need it anymore. My service experience with Tesla had been stellar since buying. My wife just got a Model Y which we traded in her Jeep Grand Cherokee for. Have no worries about quality of the cars at all. My 3 had zero issues in March, her Y had a few minor things that are being fixed today and the tow package installation. They didn't have a loaner this time, but did offer Uber credits.

Can't understand this at all. Maybe because we live within 30 minutes of two service centers. We always had one car more than we needed, just so there was always a backup. Replaced my Acura TL with a Model 3 two years ago, but still had the extra car. When that car was totaled and I got a new one (AWD this time), we got rid of the Jeep Wrangler as I figured we didn't need it anymore. My service experience with Tesla had been stellar since buying. My wife just got a Model Y which we traded in her Jeep Grand Cherokee for. Have no worries about quality of the cars at all. My 3 had zero issues in March, her Y had a few minor things that are being fixed today and the tow package installation. They didn't have a loaner this time, but did offer Uber credits.
You have not seen any posts about delivery nightmares, QC issues, service issues with appointments and parts availability?

Now imagine the Tesla is your only mode of transport on top of that and you need it in order to get to your job on time every day.

Would you be so forgiving?

Sometimes you need to step out of the bubble and try and understand an average “real world” experience. Which seems to be hard to do for some in the Tesla crowd.

You have not seen any posts about delivery nightmares, QC issues, service issues with appointments and parts availability?

Now imagine the Tesla is your only mode of transport on top of that and you need it in order to get to your job on time every day.

Would you be so forgiving?

Sometimes you need to step out of the bubble and try and understand an average “real world” experience. Which seems to be hard to do for some in the Tesla crowd.
I see your point.

But, if you’re constrained to being a one car house in which your car is critical to getting to work, I wouldn’t recommend any 60k car. Better to get two modest preowned cars from downmarket brands.

Better than our Land Rover and Porsche!

If Tesla's supercharger network is their top rated attribute, then the lack of Service Centers is their Achilles Heel and their lack of human to human communication comes in a close second to last. The above is on Tesla...

I agree with the statement that their SuperChargers are a major attribute. However, I think the acceleration from the induction motors may be more of an incentive to buy the car. The SuperChargers helps to separate them from the pack. However, I think their Achilles Heel is the lack of human to human communication. The lack of Service Centers might actually work out well for them, IF most folks get their cars fixed at home or at work. Having them come to you, could be a game changer. Maybe this would be a good polling topic...
Where to post the new topic is a question as it is not just a S3XY poll. Maybe 2 topics, Tesla best feature and worst feature.

Sorry to hear about your issues. Where does the car indicate 120, 130 or 150 temperature? I haven't seen that (thankfully).
Being a new EV owner (1 month for me) is learning all new terminology and issues. No more opening up the hood to see steam coming from the radiator, no we chose to go more futuristic.
I am trying to schedule my first service appointment and sadly, I also live far away from the nearest SC. In my request I asked specifically for a mobile repair as I didn't want to lose a day of work to get the car fixed. They have indicated that may be possible, but with Tesla, I'll believe it when it happens.

You may be familiar with these sites, but maybe others may not. These are some of the sites I find useful.
Supercharger | Tesla
A Better Routeplanner
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
The temperature showed on the home screen (above the map) At first, we thought it was ambient temperature, but as t escalated to 150, we knew something was wrong. As a first time Tesla owner we hoped to talk with a tehnician, to no avail. Out temperature reading now (after the five day service visit) seems to be the ambient temperature. We found PlugShare and it is a valuable resource.

Taking a long trip in a brand new vehicle without a proper local driving shakedown period and lack of sufficient orientation is on the new owner.
For the life of me I can't understand why people let Tesla get away with things like a 10-minute orientation? OP.. you just spent $60K on a new car... insist that Sparky at the delivery center answers every single question you have, at $15/hour he can afford to spend some time with you!
The reason given was "COVID"/ The agent said for us to go home and try out the features. We love our Y and are learning on our own, but a phone # to call would be great when we are stumped. That is, an actual person who can respond instead of a text machine!

Did operating the car at 150 degrees harm it??
The reading was 150 degrees, not the actual temperature. It was likely a fault of the sensor or a connection to it. That’s only 65C. Most automotive electronics and materials are tested to 85C. Tesla... I don’t know. They are not most automotive companies.

You didn’t damage your car. It had a fault that is covered by warranty.

So was everything fixed?

Wow. SOrry to hear! That was quite a story.

While I agree that you should have driven it a bit more before a road trip I think it's ridiculous that a car shouldn't perform like it should right away. There shouldn't be a need to test it out to make sure the car drives ok.

I still love Tesla but this shows we have to be a little more cautious before taking long road trips when you first purchase one. haha

I see your point.

But, if you’re constrained to being a one car house in which your car is critical to getting to work, I wouldn’t recommend any 60k car. Better to get two modest preowned cars from downmarket brands.

Better than our Land Rover and Porsche!

This kind of reply borders on stupidity and insult. OP has every right to spend whatever on a single car, which should perform as any new car is expected. The QA problems Tesla has ought to be called out and Tesla need shape up. A car need be dependable period.

I owned multiple ICE cars and got stranded on highways for various reasons: slippling clutch (my very first Nissan Sentra), engine overheated due to leaky radiator (Toyota Corolla), engine stalling due to faulty crank sensor - that was misread by the system as camshaft sensor failure - so wrong part was replaced twice and I got stuck on a highway two more times (Nissan Frontier), engine wouldn't start due to failed starter motor(Audi A3), electric system failure (Lexus) and ran out of gas due to faulty fuel gauge in my 2019 Outback (Subaru provided patch fix thru a dealer).......... SO *sugar* HAPPENS and you had some bad luck, Sorry.

I got my Model Y a month ago and have trouble closing the hatch and my spoiler needs to re-glued in one spot...service scheduled in one week - no mechanical/electrical issues what-so-ever. I typically would never buy first year model but couldn't wait. I knew there would be some issues and took the chance.

The reading was 150 degrees, not the actual temperature. It was likely a fault of the sensor or a connection to it. That’s only 65C. Most automotive electronics and materials are tested to 85C. Tesla... I don’t know. They are not most automotive companies.

You didn’t damage your car. It had a fault that is covered by warranty.

So was everything fixed?
We assume that it was. The Tesla is working fine. The auto steering is still quirky and tends to shut off without reason. We never talked to anyone and never received an invoice stating what was done. All we know is the car was in the "shop" for 5 days and then a text arrived to pick it up. No one met us, no one explained what happened. No one advised us if this happened again, what to do. we now have 1500 miles on it.

I owned multiple ICE cars and got stranded on highways for various reasons: slippling clutch (my very first Nissan Sentra), engine overheated due to leaky radiator (Toyota Corolla), engine stalling due to faulty crank sensor - that was misread by the system as camshaft sensor failure - so wrong part was replaced twice and I got stuck on a highway two more times (Nissan Frontier), engine wouldn't start due to failed starter motor(Audi A3), electric system failure (Lexus) and ran out of gas due to faulty fuel gauge in my 2019 Outback (Subaru provided patch fix thru a dealer).......... SO *sugar* HAPPENS and you had some bad luck, Sorry.

I got my Model Y a month ago and have trouble closing the hatch and my spoiler needs to re-glued in one spot...service scheduled in one week - no mechanical/electrical issues what-so-ever. I typically would never buy first year model but couldn't wait. I knew there would be some issues and took the chance.

We had three Toyota Prius- a 2006, a 2013 and a 2018 before the Tesla. Never had one issue with them. So I guess we were spoiled. wanted to try an EV. My complaint is with service and lack of explanation regarding what happened. Oh well, so far, we like the Tesla. Do not like the supercharge station wait in some areas and lack of bathroom facilities near the charging sttion. Still having range anxiety but live the performance of the car. Oh yeah- our front trunk hatch was faulty, but they did fix that.