Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Paint Repair/Repaint Experiences...Please Share

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This looks like it can be buffed out. I would recommend taking it in sooner than later.
I have a couple bumps in the paint like that. Wonder if I should mention them... I figured there wasn't much they could do without repainting. I'm more concerned with the scratches\chips that are in a couple places. This doesn't look as bad in person, but under the right light angle it is pretty noticeable. Hopefully they can buff these out?
View attachment 325644

Chips\scratches at the edge of the rear bumper:
View attachment 325646

I would have threw a huge fit. Every Service Center has the ability to pull cars from other Centers. After what I have been thru, i am asking for a Model X(dont care which one, but must have autopilot). Lets see if they comply.

Dropped my Red AWD Model 3 off yesterday at Cherry Hill...currently at a certified body shop getting paint defects corrected. Should have it back by Thursday or Friday so we'll see what the results are. No Tesla loaner for me since they were all out. I refused their Enterprise offer and just had them Lyft me home since I have an ICE car already.

I finally dropped off my car at the body shop today after taking delivery on July 21st. Not the fastest process but at least it’s there. I had two deep small scratches on the front passenger door. I had appointment at the Seaside store on July 27th but they convinced me to have Tesla Mobile come out on July 31st...they showed up only to inform me the next body shop appt is Aug 14th! Tesla mobile just came out and spent 15 min looking at the car.
I should have drove the 2.5 hour drive to Seaside it might have been done by now and most likely would have gotten a Tesla loaner not like the Nissan Altima I have now.

I am supposed to get a call from the Tesla Body shop rep in Fresno tomorrow. I am curious to see what they have to say. I wonder how long this will all take and more importantly will they do a good job. :eek:

• Disagree
Reactions: Abstrakt1
UPDATE:

Got a call from the manager of the service center. He went to look at the car with the body shop. Pretty much offered two solutions:

1) Try to conserve the Factory paint as much as Possible and buff out what they can and repaint at a minimal. He kept saying how nothing will be better than the Factory paint in terms of standing the test of time because it was put on at Factory and on bare clean metal, etc...

2) Repaint most of the car, everything from the front doors back at least, maybe even the entire car. It will come out great, body shop is great..... but he also expressed concern that it won’t be “as great as Factory paint” because with time, sun, etc that who knows how it will look/hold in the future.

I was not happy with these two options. The manager was sincere and completely understood, put himself in my position and knew this was choosing the better of two bad things. I pretty much concluded that based on what he was telling me, nothing was going to make me feel comfortable enough to say “this is my nice brand new car”....unless it was brand new again....

So I even brought up if getting a new car was a possibility, which he responded he would check with Tesla and let me know what’s possible to address this....

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden
UPDATE:

Got a call from the manager of the service center. He went to look at the car with the body shop. Pretty much offered two solutions:

1) Try to conserve the Factory paint as much as Possible and buff out what they can and repaint at a minimal. He kept saying how nothing will be better than the Factory paint in terms of standing the test of time because it was put on at Factory and on bare clean metal, etc...

2) Repaint most of the car, everything from the front doors back at least, maybe even the entire car. It will come out great, body shop is great..... but he also expressed concern that it won’t be “as great as Factory paint” because with time, sun, etc that who knows how it will look/hold in the future.

I was not happy with these two options. The manager was sincere and completely understood, put himself in my position and knew this was choosing the better of two bad things. I pretty much concluded that based on what he was telling me, nothing was going to make me feel comfortable enough to say “this is my nice brand new car”....unless it was brand new again....

So I even brought up if getting a new car was a possibility, which he responded he would check with Tesla and let me know what’s possible to address this....

Had a feeling this was going to happen.

Which service center are you at?

Ouch. Really sorry man. Hopefully they make good on this. I'm supposed to get my car back Friday or Monday...wonder if my service center person will be as transparent as yours. I'm shocked they even told you that considering all of the recent model 3s going through similar issues with needing to get certain areas repainted.

I wonder if getting the car wrapped with xpel which I plan on doing anyway would prevent the body shop paint from deteriorating quicker than factory paint.

I have a question for you all.

I have very similar clearcoat marks but they are mostly centered in the lower door sills. There are a handful on the panel above the two driver-side doors, one on the trunk.

My appointment is this Friday. Overall is this something that you guys would just accept it if I end up in the same situation as Eddyrelik? I doubt that a new car would be one of the options since I don’t think my problem is is a severe as his. Check out my original thread if you haven’t seen it yet check out my original thread if you haven’t seen it yet.

picked up my car 8/3. just dropped it off at the service center to get "fixed". they said they'll be sending it out to the body shop. they gave me bmw 740 loaner. :/

- something under the paint on the passenger door.
- some scratches on the bumper under the left headlight.
- on the hood that touches the left headlight.
- a few teeeny bumps on the mirror.

Attachments

• IMG_20180805_081712.jpg
    IMG_20180805_081712.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_20180814_213627.jpg
    IMG_20180814_213627.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_20180814_213702.jpg
    IMG_20180814_213702.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 384
Picked up my car 8/5. I have an appointment at the SC next Tues. for some paint issues on the top of my trunk. I'm not sure if its mottling or not, but it looks like 3 discolored circles about 2.5 inches in diameter. Most noticeable under garage light. I didn't notice during delivery because my car was so dirty. Hope they can fix it without any problems.

Imgur (Starts from right about the Tesla T and moves to the right)
Imgur (Visible as a darker circle)

• Informative
Reactions: malciv
NEW UPDATE:

So they’re going to PAINT THE ENTIRE CAR. Take it all apart, sand, primer and paint. The manager at Tesla service authorized to repaint the entire car rather than most of it. Reiterated that it’s all about me being satisfied with the result so let’s go ahead and try the repaint. Didn’t have another choice (other than making the best of what’s on the car now, which I don’t want) so I agreed.

Should be about two weeks....mixed feeling about this, but I think this is the best option besides a new car, which isn’t an option hoping for the best result....

Bummer to hear some of you having similar paint defect situations. Glad It doesn’t seem as bad as mine as in being all over the car. Tesla Service has been great and they had a great body shop to use in Thousand Oaks for me (they specifically work on high end cars and a lot of Tesla’s). I’m sure they will take care of you based on how I was treated. As for the end result....we will have to see.

I would have thought a lot of people with white model 3s would have chimed in with that whole rear bumper/wrong color problem. Since that seemed to be the most “popular” paint problem that might be widespread....

NEW UPDATE:

So they’re going to PAINT THE ENTIRE CAR. Take it all apart, sand, primer and paint. The manager at Tesla service authorized to repaint the entire car rather than most of it. Reiterated that it’s all about me being satisfied with the result so let’s go ahead and try the repaint. Didn’t have another choice (other than making the best of what’s on the car now, which I don’t want) so I agreed.

Should be about two weeks....mixed feeling about this, but I think this is the best option besides a new car, which isn’t an option hoping for the best result....

Bummer to hear some of you having similar paint defect situations. Glad It doesn’t seem as bad as mine as in being all over the car. Tesla Service has been great and they had a great body shop to use in Thousand Oaks for me (they specifically work on high end cars and a lot of Tesla’s). I’m sure they will take care of you based on how I was treated. As for the end result....we will have to see.

I would have thought a lot of people with white model 3s would have chimed in with that whole rear bumper/wrong color problem. Since that seemed to be the most “popular” paint problem that might be widespread....

I hope it comes out good. I will most likely pick up my car tomorrow from the body shop. Crossing my fingers.

I have some white or ghosting under the clear coat. I am not sure how to describe this. The body shop called it overspray. The body shop cannot fix this as I don't have a Due Bill for it yet.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed by a good detailer?

My Due Bill items were minor with two small scratches and some trim alignment. I Hope the scratch fix paint matches the rest of the car.

Terms should never have learned when buying a new car:

Due Bill
Overspray
Fish eyes

:eek:

I can’t speak for anyone who is “difficult” to Tesla about these defects, like I said before, golden rule always applies.

If you are a prick/diva, then you’ll always get the short end of the shaft or how ever they say it.

If you are a nice guy and patient, Tesla will take care of you.

I just got another loaner today, X-P100D with Ludicrous and Auto-Pilot, un-neutered/uncapped and I have this for a month.

Wifey and I are going to take some road trips!!

Attachments

• 5AEDE71A-9BCE-412D-9AC3-F965D4198F02.jpeg
    5AEDE71A-9BCE-412D-9AC3-F965D4198F02.jpeg
    424.2 KB · Views: 350
  • 0D22010B-7056-41DC-9FD2-CF7F5C00305D.jpeg
    0D22010B-7056-41DC-9FD2-CF7F5C00305D.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 348
NEW UPDATE:

Wow. That’s not going to be cheap. They should let you pick a custom color!
Seems like it would be cheaper for them to sell the car CPO with the crappy paint and build you a new car.

Took it to Tesla service this morning but they ran out of loaners. So going back Wednesday morning early. They gave me the name of a local body shoo they use in Thousand Oaks, and I called them to see if they have worked on Tesla’s much and specifically the red. They said they do them “everyday”....

Here’s some pictures of what I got going on....there’s even what looks like a hair under the paint on the door sill....

View attachment 323512 View attachment 323513 View attachment 323514 View attachment 323515 View attachment 323516 View attachment 323517 View attachment 323518 View attachment 323519
Wow that painter must’ve been drunk...

This is getting annoying. Brought it into service Monday morning. They assured me they'd have it back from the shop on Thursday. Friday the latest. They're now saying Monday via an email update. I've never dealt with this sort of thing before and have no clue what a proper response should even be.

This is getting annoying. Brought it into service Monday morning. They assured me they'd have it back from the shop on Thursday. Friday the latest. They're now saying Monday via an email update. I've never dealt with this sort of thing before and have no clue what a proper response should even be.
They'll do a better job if they aren't rushed, so I'd just tell them it's OK, but you are wondering what the source of the delay is. I.e., did they get backed up with other jobs, or is there something harder than they thought about doing your car. As long as you stay friendly but persistent, they will probably try to do their best.

Reactions: neroden
Good news and bad news.

Good news: Service center was able to get my car back today. They Lyfted me over. Body shop did an awesome job and I honestly didn't see any difference between their paint job vs factory. Although time will tell and I'll also need to look at it under the sun

Fun fact. I asked what shops they use in the area and one is a Volvo dealership that has a body shop onsite. Then another one they use I think is an independent one. They didn't name drop it.

Bad news: Not all the paint defects were corrected. They think the rest can be buffed out but will need to wait until Monday when their detailer is back to take a look.

Wasted over an hour of my time getting there. Asked for a Tesla loaner and only one they had left was a very old Model S 85 which I took because why not. They're definitely doing what they can to correct this. Just unfortunate considering I've physically owned my car for less time than it's been in service.

Best case scenerio end of day Monday I'll really have my car. On a side note. The Model 3 drives so much better than this S 85. I also didn't realize how crusty and old feeling the interior is on these older S models haha

Last edited:
Good news! I have my car back now. I just picked up from the Tesla approved body shop here in Fresno. Home

I had some small deep scratches on my front passenger door and other minor things. I did have small fisheyes on my front bumper near the headlights. Our Tesla Mobile Team has an office out of this facility. I asked the body shop rep that I had heard the red was hard to match but she said that they are an approved Tesla body shop and must use the PPG coded paint that Tesla uses. To my eyes it looks good.

I had noticed some ghosting or overspray on two spots when I dropped off the car but could not spot them again. I will look tomorrow but for now all looks good finally!!! I received some great comments from the Hertz rental place next to the body shop as they had never seen a Model 3.

One tip the body shop gave me was that if I want PPF on the front bumper then I should wait 30 days at least since the paint is fresh. So I guess I will wait a month no problem. They also mentioned not to take it to the drive through car washes. Lol no problem here as I only hand wash my car.

Reactions: favo