Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Paint Repair/Repaint Experiences...Please Share

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news! I have my car back now. I just picked up from the Tesla approved body shop here in Fresno. Home

I had some small deep scratches on my front passenger door and other minor things. I did have small fisheyes on my front bumper near the headlights. Our Tesla Mobile Team has an office out of this facility. I asked the body shop rep that I had heard the red was hard to match but she said that they are an approved Tesla body shop and must use the PPG coded paint that Tesla uses. To my eyes it looks good.

I had noticed some ghosting or overspray on two spots when I dropped off the car but could not spot them again. I will look tomorrow but for now all looks good finally!!! I received some great comments from the Hertz rental place next to the body shop as they had never seen a Model 3.

One tip the body shop gave me was that if I want PPF on the front bumper then I should wait 30 days at least since the paint is fresh. So I guess I will wait a month no problem. They also mentioned not to take it to the drive through car washes. Lol no problem here as I only hand wash my car.

Update: I noticed a bump / fish eye on the front passenger door where it was painted.

If body shop painted the whole door then it’s their fault. If not then Tesla.

Either way I have to make another trip to body shop on Monday.

Now I am going to inspect the whole car.

My tip if picking up car from body shop.
Don’t pick up your car on a Friday. If you have issues Monday is long ways away.

Fisheyes or descripencies are best noted at an angle. That’s how I saw mine. Looking straight at the area it’s hard to tell.

The good news the body shop matched the paint great.

A bit frustrated but what can I do.

Update from my end. Just to recap my situation. Brought it into service last Monday. Went to pick it up Friday. Found some new paint issues + unaddressed items on my front bumper and hood. They gave me a 2014 Model S 85 loaner in the meantime.

Followed up with the service center today. They say all but one issue can be addressed by their detailer. The other issue needs to be addressed at the paint/body shop, so it's back there today :(

No ETA on when I'll have the car back.

I recommend for anyone getting their car resprayed, I would see if you can borrow and paint film thickness reader and make sure the paint thickness is consistent in all the panels and roof. This is what I am going to do when they call me and say my car is ready...

Update from my end. Just to recap my situation. Brought it into service last Monday. Went to pick it up Friday. Found some new paint issues + unaddressed items on my front bumper and hood. They gave me a 2014 Model S 85 loaner in the meantime.

Followed up with the service center today. They say all but one issue can be addressed by their detailer. The other issue needs to be addressed at the paint/body shop, so it's back there today :(

No ETA on when I'll have the car back.

Took delivery of my Red multicoat, 3D w/ white interior, aero wheels, and EAP last Monday (VIN 561XX, build date 08/18).

My Detailer/PPF shop owner attended the delivery and performed a paint inspection for me. He checked paint thickness and found no sign of repairs. However, his visual inspection identified over a dozen finish defects, the worst of which was "dust nibs" on the hood and front bumper.
In his report he indicated: "we are looking at your car under scrutiny and most of these items would be deemed acceptable and normal for all car manufacturers."

That being said, I noticed the dust nibs on the hood and top of bumper myself, prior to his arrival. The two dust nibs on the top of the bumper were most noticeable, and would cause the PPF to bubble if not removed prior.
This is the forth factory new vehicle I've purchased in my life, and although better in some many ways than the others, I don't recall seeing dust nibs on my Mazda, Honda, or Mercedes.

Tesla put the car into their (outside) body shop today, and the shop recommended repainting both the bumper and hood. Service manager guaranteed it will match factory paint, and indicated that a factory painted replacement bumper or hood, would likely not be an exact match, and would take 3-4 weeks to get. I have agreed to the bumper and hood repaint. I should get the car next Tuesday, then immediately to the Detailer for paint correction, PPF, and "C Quarts Finest" ceramic coating.

P.S. The car was flawless in every other way, and although I only drove it for 24 miles before returning to Tesla Service, it drives like nothing else.

• Informative
Reactions: Wubbles and malciv
I'm pretty nervous now.

Remember you largely only hear of the "problems" on these forums, the cars overall are great, and from my experience, if there's a problem, Tesla will try to make it right.
Just take your time inspecting the car (take a flashlight), and don't get too excited about items that can be easily fixed/adjusted/replaced, but have Tesla address them.
Good Luck and enjoy the car.

First time poster. Took delivery 7/21, VIN was in the 40xxx and my ISA could only tell me the car was manufactured in 2018. Had the car for a week and noticed the glove was misaligned, wind-noise from the right outside mirror and rubber lining in the back right side passenger seat was rippled. Really happy with the service experience the first time. I sent the service center manager pictures of glove-box and lining and he ordered the parts prior to my scheduled meeting date. They inspected the wind-noise and found that the outside passenger side mirror had a triangular flap that was detached and replaced the entire mirror.

Felt good getting my car back and having such great service with my defects. No questions asked, they acknowledged that's not how those items should look and fixed them. Washed my car for the first time and noticed approximately 7 fish eyes on one C pillar alone and from an angle could see that that panel had three white rings about the size of the bottom of a Gatorade bottle. They clearly noticed that panel was really bad and tried to fix it but made it worse. I've got 2 small fish eyes that don't protrude but actually dip in on my bumper, minor ones on my trunk and 2 on the other C Pillar.

The service rep was great. Said they'd try to buff it down, he was hoping they wouldn't have to repaint because it "brings the value of the vehicle down." He said they have 3 approved body shops that pay 300k in order to become certified and assured me the work would be quality work if we had to repaint.

I was given a P85D as a loaner, no complaints there. Said I'd get my car back next week.

As a day one reservation holder whose been saving for two years for this car I'm awfully upset with the experience so far. I don't see an outcome where I'm left feeling reasonably satisfied. Hope everyone who hasn't taken delivery has a better experience than mine, and I hope this is much more isolated than it seems.

Update: I noticed a bump / fish eye on the front passenger door where it was painted.

If body shop painted the whole door then it’s their fault. If not then Tesla.

Either way I have to make another trip to body shop on Monday.

Now I am going to inspect the whole car.

My tip if picking up car from body shop.
Don’t pick up your car on a Friday. If you have issues Monday is long ways away.

Fisheyes or descripencies are best noted at an angle. That’s how I saw mine. Looking straight at the area it’s hard to tell.

The good news the body shop matched the paint great.

A bit frustrated but what can I do.

Update 2: I received my car back Aug 27th part my fault as it was ready a week prior just no time to pick up.
So the issue were not fish eyes but “dust” underneath clear coat etc. I asked the Body shop Supervisor why didn’t they do a quality inspection before delivering the car. He was apologetic and did manage to buff out / fix the issues.

I hate having to go back due to quality issues. Waste of both of our times and needless.

Paint defects? Oh, you mean like this?

Attachments

• D0E0642B-383E-4E5F-9892-EFDA7D1B7F6F.png
    D0E0642B-383E-4E5F-9892-EFDA7D1B7F6F.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 627
I’ve got a hand full of little areas all over the car like this. When they get wet they spew rusty water. Love the car but my god. Service had a body shop fix the ones I saw but as soon as I got the car back I noticed a few more. Bummed.

Update 2: I received my car back Aug 27th part my fault as it was ready a week prior just no time to pick up.
So the issue were not fish eyes but “dust” underneath clear coat etc. I asked the Body shop Supervisor why didn’t they do a quality inspection before delivering the car. He was apologetic and did manage to buff out / fix the issues.

I hate having to go back due to quality issues. Waste of both of our times and needless.

daver6640: I picked my Red AWD car this week. I think I have the same issue you had. Did it look like this: Red - paint quality issues

Primarily on the trunk and a couple of spots on the hood. The body shop came over while they were swapping out the tires (car was delivered w/wrong tires) and thought he might be able to wet sand to get this out. I am bringing to the body shop next week. Hoping they can either sand or buff out vs. repaint.