Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Paint Repair/Repaint Experiences...Please Share

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long was your car in the body shop and do the Tesla employees disclose the body shop location so we can contact them? I was told last Thursday 3-5 days. I'm hoping to get my car back later today.

I had to contact Tesla Service then they referred me to the local approved body shop (name of shop was disclosed). It only took 3 days to complete BUT I picked on Friday at 5 pm. Saturday I discovered the issues then back on Monday and it was done in about a day.

PSA: Don’t pick up your completed car on Friday! my local shop was closed all weekend. o_O

I had quite a few paint defects at delivery and posted some pics in my thread here:

Palm Springs delivery - Black Non-P AWD with White interior

I dropped my car off last Thursday the 6th to get the paint and a couple other things taken care of. They had the car in the body shop until Monday the 10th and I was waiting on another part which came in and was fixed this morning. I went to pick up the car this afternoon and it looked just about as bad if not worse than when I dropped it off paint-wise. The guy in service who was helping me had left before I got there to pick up the car so one of the other people at the front desk walked me out to look at the car. I had some waterless wash and microfibers in the trunk as it was covered in dust and some water spots, sprayed it down in the areas that had the defects to check things out, and while it was clear someone had polished down some of the areas, there were a lot more scratches in the paint than there were before dropping it off in the first place. There were a couple new scratches and the whole hood was heavily over-polished with what looked like sanding marks everywhere. Really not happy after the 2 and a half hour round trip drive to find the bad paint looking even worse. The person who was helping me in service is supposed to call me tomorrow morning to figure out what they're going to do next.

@jasdelta they resprayed the rear driver fender once. The front driver side fender twice. The certified body shop couldn’t get the fender right so they sent it to a Tesla repair shop. My hood was resprayed 3 times for small defects and they decided after the third time it couldn’t be fixed. The gave me a new hood like I said in my previous post. I had a loaner for the entire time but they took it back when they dropped my car off. Yesterday I took my model 3 back to the service center and they refused to take it back and said they would contact me once they figured out a solution. Today they said they would replace my front bumper, front and rear driver fender. I have told them that it’s unacceptable and that I no longer want the car and I’ll wait in line for a new one. My driver side window has deep scratches in it from the service center so now they have to replace that as well. My passenger side wheel was also replaced because they curbed rashed the majority of the wheel. I know that this is just a super case of bad luck but I have faith! Still love the car. @buyehara I’ll post photos tomorrow.

9E91E86B-0628-44D3-B2B8-8F29A99531E4.jpeg
B2028D5A-CB25-419B-A7B6-3D158CEB6783.jpeg

@Noodlefacehaha, thanks for sharing. I had concerns that I my experience would have exactly this domino effect. First it's the paint issue, then color mismatch, then other problems like additional scratches, or interior damage caused by the paint workers. Eventually, like you, I wouldn't see my Tesla as a new car but rather a loaner vehicle that has been refurbished and sold as a demo unit. Demand for a whole new car and expect no less! Good luck! Because I've been fortunate to only have two small nubs on the trunk lid I've offered the Tesla service to refund my $1500 I paid for the multicoat red finish. I think that's actually cheaper for them then paying for third party work and paying for loaners from Enterprise Rental (they ran out of Tesla loaners) .

@Noodlefacehaha, thanks for sharing. I had concerns that I my experience would have exactly this domino effect. First it's the paint issue, then color mismatch, then other problems like additional scratches, or interior damage caused by the paint workers. Eventually, like you, I wouldn't see my Tesla as a new car but rather a loaner vehicle that has been refurbished and sold as a demo unit. Demand for a whole new car and expect no less! Good luck! Because I've been fortunate to only have two small nubs on the trunk lid I've offered the Tesla service to refund my $1500 I paid for the multicoat red finish. I think that's actually cheaper for them then paying for third party work and paying for loaners from Enterprise Rental (they ran out of Tesla loaners) .

have they decided if they will refund?

@jasdelta they resprayed the rear driver fender once. The front driver side fender twice. The certified body shop couldn’t get the fender right so they sent it to a Tesla repair shop. My hood was resprayed 3 times for small defects and they decided after the third time it couldn’t be fixed. The gave me a new hood like I said in my previous post. I had a loaner for the entire time but they took it back when they dropped my car off. Yesterday I took my model 3 back to the service center and they refused to take it back and said they would contact me once they figured out a solution. Today they said they would replace my front bumper, front and rear driver fender. I have told them that it’s unacceptable and that I no longer want the car and I’ll wait in line for a new one. My driver side window has deep scratches in it from the service center so now they have to replace that as well. My passenger side wheel was also replaced because they curbed rashed the majority of the wheel. I know that this is just a super case of bad luck but I have faith! Still love the car. @buyehara I’ll post photos tomorrow.

Very sorry to hear that you have had so muc

Sorry to hear that you have had so much difficulty, but let’s hope it gets a lot better. I take delivery on the 24 th and am going in with low expectations and a
detail guy who has agreed to be ther to do a full paint inspection, then if all is well to take the car for PPF and window tinting.

Have you considered asking them if they would repaint the whole car at a certified shop?

Last edited:
Had my service appointment today... They want to send it to a body shop and will let me know if it is an easy fix.. Will they end
up painting the whole car if they need to paint a door or two?? I would expect that it will turn out okay if they are a Tesla approved
body shop.. They did give me an "S" as a loaner.. It is nice but I like my M3 better...

Had my service appointment today... They want to send it to a body shop and will let me know if it is an easy fix.. Will they end
up painting the whole car if they need to paint a door or two?? I would expect that it will turn out okay if they are a Tesla approved
body shop.. They did give me an "S" as a loaner.. It is nice but I like my M3 better...

What kind of paint defects do you have? Is the car good otherwise?

This stays between the confines of this forum and not meant to be shared with anyone at Tesla.

I’ve been dealing with this SC since June, where my car has been in and out of that SC at least 7x times.

I’ll skip forward to current events;

- lots of imperfections including fisheye, dirt, improper paint repair.
- current paint thickness has been measured at 3x times the normal thickness and obviously has been repainted many times.
- currently waiting on the manager(there is a few of them) to get back to me on my requested offer

- sand down car and remove paint to tolerance and remove fish eye and paint defects.

Or buy car back and get another car..

My cars been in the shop now since August 28th for dust under the paint on 5 panels. They're all varying degrees of bad. Some panels have two small dust nibs where other have over 10+. I visited the certified third party shop I was referred to by Tesla Service in Burbank and they told me they wouldn't be able to sand any of it down and all the panels would have to be repainted. I wasn't comfortable with this and met with the service manager at the Burbank Service Center. He kept trying to convince me that the paint would be just as good as factory paint because these third party body shops pay 200k-300k for their certification and use the same tools as the factory. I'm not familiar with the paint process but feel this is total BS.

When I asked him what other options I had he essentially told me we wouldn't know what my options were until I gave them a chance to fix the issues. Meaning they would have to repaint more than half my car. Just wondering if anyone has any insight on what I should do and any information on factory paint vs body shop paint.

I included a couple pictures that indicate where all the imperfections were found. Sticker doesn't mean it was one dust nib, they were usually in clusters. These were placed on the car by the service manager.

Reactions: CuriousM3
What kind of paint defects do you have? Is the car good otherwise?

Reportedly the spots are either over sanded paint or poor prep.. There are small circles on the left side doors, one by the charge port and one on the hood... Other than the few spots the car is absolutely amazing.. I like it so much better than the S they gave me as a loaner..

Attachments

• A7901166-B248-485E-AB3D-23AC842DCE9D.jpeg
    A7901166-B248-485E-AB3D-23AC842DCE9D.jpeg
    375.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 4AA2460D-9C18-497C-8E70-756DBC476725.jpeg
    4AA2460D-9C18-497C-8E70-756DBC476725.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 217
Took delivery of my Red multicoat, 3D w/ white interior, aero wheels, and EAP last Monday (VIN 561XX, build date 08/18).

My Detailer/PPF shop owner attended the delivery and performed a paint inspection for me. He checked paint thickness and found no sign of repairs. However, his visual inspection identified over a dozen finish defects, the worst of which was "dust nibs" on the hood and front bumper.
In his report he indicated: "we are looking at your car under scrutiny and most of these items would be deemed acceptable and normal for all car manufacturers."

That being said, I noticed the dust nibs on the hood and top of bumper myself, prior to his arrival. The two dust nibs on the top of the bumper were most noticeable, and would cause the PPF to bubble if not removed prior.
This is the forth factory new vehicle I've purchased in my life, and although better in some many ways than the others, I don't recall seeing dust nibs on my Mazda, Honda, or Mercedes.

Tesla put the car into their (outside) body shop today, and the shop recommended repainting both the bumper and hood. Service manager guaranteed it will match factory paint, and indicated that a factory painted replacement bumper or hood, would likely not be an exact match, and would take 3-4 weeks to get. I have agreed to the bumper and hood repaint. I should get the car next Tuesday, then immediately to the Detailer for paint correction, PPF, and "C Quarts Finest" ceramic coating.

P.S. The car was flawless in every other way, and although I only drove it for 24 miles before returning to Tesla Service, it drives like nothing else.

UPDATE ON PAINT REPAIR:
My car went into Tesla Service for paint repair the day of my delivery (8/20). Car sat at service for a few days and got into body shop on 8/24/18.
Shop finished repainting and returned to Tesla Service on d by to Tesla on 8/30. Tesla inspected and found a dust nib, and polished it out themselves, before delivering it to my Detailer/PPF shop on 8/31/18.

The Detailing/PPF shop owner who performed my delivery paint inspection, and found all the defects, said the car now looked great upon his receipt.
I pick-up the car from the Detail shop 9/11 and it looks fantastic. Granted part of the shine and gloss was due to the Detailer "new car detail", PPF, and ceramic coating, but I could not detect any there was any new paint on the car, nor any paint defects. I did note that one small chip, had not been fixed, but it wasn't on the painted front bumper or hood, and really is not easily seen, so I'm fine with leaving it.
Overall, I was please with Tesla's Service and they seemed genuinely interested in getting it right and making me happy. I am please with the outcome, but would have preferred a car delivered without paint defects. Tesla truly needs to get their paint shop problems resolve and produce paint jobs on par with the competing Mercedes, Audi, and BMW's.

Now I'm loving the car and look forward to every chance I get to drive it.

Reactions: MP3Mike
UPDATE ON PAINT REPAIR:
My car went into Tesla Service for paint repair the day of my delivery (8/20). Car sat at service for a few days and got into body shop on 8/24/18.

I pick-up the car from the Detail shop 9/11 and it looks fantastic. Granted part of the shine and gloss was due to the Detailer "new car detail", PPF, and ceramic coating, but I could not detect any there was any new paint on the car, nor any paint defects. I did note that one small chip, had not been fixed, but it wasn't on the painted front bumper or hood, and really is not easily seen, so I'm fine with leaving it.
Overall, I was please with Tesla's Service and they seemed genuinely interested in getting it right and making me happy. I am please with the outcome, but would have preferred a car delivered without paint defects. Tesla truly needs to get their paint shop problems resolve and produce paint jobs on par with the competing Mercedes, Audi, and BMW's.

I talked to a few PPF installers that told me to wait 30-60 days before applying film on fresh body shop paint. Did you hear anything similar?

UPDATE ON PAINT REPAIR:
Shop finished repainting and returned to Tesla Service on d by to Tesla on 8/30. Tesla inspected and found a dust nib, and polished it out themselves, before delivering it to my Detailer/PPF shop on 8/31/18.

The Detailing/PPF shop owner who performed my delivery paint inspection, and found all the defects, said the car now looked great upon his receipt.

Glad to hear that you had a good outcome.

Feeling fortunate after reading some of the previous posts. Zero paint issues when new except rear bumper was just slightly off color in certain lights at certain angles. Not easily noticeable, however......

I was rear ended at low speed at a light when the car was only 9 days old back in early June. Damage to their car was a bent licence plate only (of course...). Damage to mine was a bumper impact with paint chips, paint cracks, a horizontal crease, displaced sensor and a licence plate imprint:

621E3262-97F0-49E5-AAF8-8AC88953201F.jpeg

648E81B0-4D42-4FDA-8DB7-B430B1446A93.jpeg

Took it to Excellence Auto, Toronto’s Tesla authorized body shop 10 days ago (waited for parts). They did an amazing job. Removed the bumper cover. Repaired, refinished and repainted it. Matches the car better than the original bumper cover paint:

Top is the factory trunk paint. Bottom is the repainted bumper (Unwashed after 100 km drive home. Black specks are dust/dirt plus shadows):

B010EE8F-48D8-4511-BE81-28DB51876DBA.jpeg

57E180EC-F4D1-45C0-ABB9-77866C72BB75.jpeg

46B4F0E8-CB36-492F-B81B-FBD187364B73.jpeg

I talked to a few PPF installers that told me to wait 30-60 days before applying film on fresh body shop paint. Did you hear anything similar?

My Detailer/PPF owner indicated that today's water based finishes, all have to be "baked" after painting, and therefore no waiting is required. For me, I had to drive 200 miles home over two mountain passes, and wasn't going to drive without PPF, risking damage that I wanted to protect against. As it was, I had a bumper full of bugs when I got home.
I understand that Tesla's are more susceptible to rock damage due to softer paint and more frontal area (no grill).

Even if I wouldn't had any repainting, the factory paint job likely wasn't 30 days old at time of delivery.

Feeling fortunate after reading some of the previous posts. Zero paint issues when new except rear bumper was just slightly off color in certain lights at certain angles. Not easily noticeable, however......

I was rear ended at low speed at a light when the car was only 9 days old back in early June. Damage to their car was a bent licence plate only (of course...). Damage to mine was a bumper impact with paint chips, paint cracks, a horizontal crease, displaced sensor and a licence plate imprint:

View attachment 334920

View attachment 334921

Took it to Excellence Auto, Toronto’s Tesla authorized body shop 10 days ago (waited for parts). They did an amazing job. Removed the bumper cover. Repaired, refinished and repainted it. Matches the car better than the original bumper cover paint:

Top is the factory trunk paint. Bottom is the repainted bumper (Unwashed after 100 km drive home. Black specks are dust/dirt plus shadows):

View attachment 334922

View attachment 334923

View attachment 334924

Looks great thanks for the encouraging post.

Reactions: 03DSG
My Detailer/PPF owner indicated that today's water based finishes, all have to be "baked" after painting, and therefore no waiting is required. For me, I had to drive 200 miles home over two mountain passes, and wasn't going to drive without PPF, risking damage that I wanted to protect against. As it was, I had a bumper full of bugs when I got home.
I understand that Tesla's are more susceptible to rock damage due to softer paint and more frontal area (no grill).

Even if I wouldn't had any repainting, the factory paint job likely wasn't 30 days old at time of delivery.

Not doubting his expertise, but my understanding was that the clearcoat was still solvent based. At the factory, these are baked in at much higher temperatures than possible at a body shop.