Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Paint Repair/Repaint Experiences...Please Share

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took it to Tesla service this morning but they ran out of loaners. So going back Wednesday morning early. They gave me the name of a local body shoo they use in Thousand Oaks, and I called them to see if they have worked on Tesla’s much and specifically the red. They said they do them “everyday”....

Here’s some pictures of what I got going on....there’s even what looks like a hair under the paint on the door sill....

View attachment 323512 View attachment 323513 View attachment 323514 View attachment 323515 View attachment 323516 View attachment 323517 View attachment 323518 View attachment 323519

What should we be looking for? Can you post some closeups? Maybe it's just me ...

They have their own body shop there? The closest service center I have is in Agoura Hills, but i definitely would like to get it done right....it also sucks to think I won’t have the car for a long while but hopefully they would loan me another Tesla....

Which shop was good and which to avoid? I am in Plano and need to get my Midnight Blue model S repaired from a hail storm. I don't think it needs to be painted, but the hood has several that look like they will be difficult to fix.

Took it to Tesla service this morning but they ran out of loaners. So going back Wednesday morning early. They gave me the name of a local body shoo they use in Thousand Oaks, and I called them to see if they have worked on Tesla’s much and specifically the red. They said they do them “everyday”....

Here’s some pictures of what I got going on....there’s even what looks like a hair under the paint on the door sill....

View attachment 323512 View attachment 323513 View attachment 323514 View attachment 323515 View attachment 323516 View attachment 323517 View attachment 323518 View attachment 323519
:eek: good luck

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Thanks for the photos. Hard to believe that passed the paint department and other QA inspections. Keep us posted.

I Will. Going back in on Wednesday morning, hopefully they'll have a Tesla loaner this time....

Wow! This is making me nervous. I ordered a red Model3 about 5 weeks ago and I think I will be too excited at finally getting mine that I might not even notice these types of details until days later. To spend so much time and money to get this incredible car to have it delivered with so many paint issues would be disappointing.

Yeah. Delivery was very disappointing too. Car was VERY dirty. And footprints INSIDE the trunk, like from assembly? They were definitely Vans shoes haha...So I can't believe SO MANY things were passed by so many eyes...bad paint, scratches, dirty, fingerprints, footprints.......guess they made them so fast, they need to get them out so fast?....

@Eddyrelik,

I may have missed it but what is your VIN?

Ski

My vin is 52,XXX. Build date 07/18 (door sill sticker)

My car is red, just like yours.

The issues I have are almost similar if not identical issues with the defects.

I’m starting to believe it’s just red cause everyone seems hunky dory with the other colors.

That sucks. I saw another thread about this concern on Red M3s....link below....seems this may be a problem with many Red M3s...
Red - paint quality issues

What should we be looking for? Can you post some closeups? Maybe it's just me ...

I added some closeups in that previous post, just click the thumbnails (POST # 16). Basically they're several types of contaminants under the paint. Like dark dots/specs of stuff under the paint. And also "fish eyes", which look like little craters which means that the body was dirty and the paint didn't stick well. I notice there are a lot more in the door sills. But I have many all over the car. Very hard to capture on pictures, but I was able to get a few and post them earlier....

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Those close up photos are heartbreaking. At first I thought you were over exaggerating.

Even looking at the clarity of the surrounding areas it's as if your car was painted by an amateur with a spray gun. I'd be pissed.

Best wishes!

I’m starting to believe it’s just red cause everyone seems hunky dory with the other colors.

Definitely not just a problem with red. I helped my friend rejected delivery of blue twice over the exact same problems already and he'll be on his third delivery attempt this weekend w/ VIN 58xxx. I really hope Tesla surprises him with flawless paint quality but I have no expectations.

Another friend's coworker took delivery of a white one last month and he said the paint quality isn't great but he still accepted delivery.

Tesla seemed to fix the panel gap issue but the paint blister issue likely developed after they ramped up production. I love Tesla and really believe in the company's future, but this is simply unacceptable. I am doing Tesla a favor by rejecting cars with poor paint quality so they will get the painting done right and I am hopeful that they will get it right.

Quick update. Dropped of the M3 this morning. Techs said it’s the most paint defects they’ve ever seen, they couldn’t believe the hair. They even vented that the production/sales/delivery team sure ain’t helping the service team by not catching these things very well before giving them to customers....and then “dumped” to service...but they had a great attitude and assured me they will do their best.

They loaned me a Model S P90D in red
Pretty fun, and scary haha...

Already got a text that they replaced my charge port door and that the next step is taking the car to a local Tesla approved body shop. Nervous of how things work out, crossing fingers.

I have a good story.,.

5/25: Picked up my wife's M3 with noticeable paint defects(pinhole/ fisheye on all panels).
6/8: Dropped off my car to local service center, got a P85 Loaner (no complaints)
6/29: Adviser said vehicle was done, came to inspect, and defects still present. SC said another 2-3 weeks,
7/13: Adviser said vehicle was done, came to inspect, and defects still present. SC said another 4 weeks,
7/24: Adviser said vehicle was done, came to inspect, and defects still present. SC said another 1 week,
7/29: Adviser said vehicle was done, came to inspect, and defects still present after car was brought home.

Cons: Worth mentioning that I had my car for 2x week only and have made a total of 2x payments
Pros: Tesla did give me a Loaner P85, and made other concessions to make me happy(cant say what it is).

Did you ever get this resolved to your satisfaction?

So I called the body shop that Tesla took my Model 3 to. They color sanded all the spots to get a better look. They concluded the the entire mid/rear portion of the car needs to be repainted. If I recall he said the entire car except for the front fenders and hood? Can’t remember if the front bumper is included...

The Tesla rep in charge of my case is out today so he will get the body shop report in the morning and determine if we move forward. Body shop says it’s an expensive job....so....more news tomorrow...

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: duy.duck and P85_DA
So I called the body shop that Tesla took my Model 3 to. They color sanded all the spots to get a better look. They concluded the the entire mid/rear portion of the car needs to be repainted. If I recall he said the entire car except for the front fenders and hood? Can’t remember if the front bumper is included...

The Tesla rep in charge of my case is out today so he will get the body shop report in the morning and determine if we move forward. Body shop says it’s an expensive job....so....more news tomorrow...

Did they give you an estimated time?

Yikes.

I have a couple bumps in the paint like that. Wonder if I should mention them... I figured there wasn't much they could do without repainting. I'm more concerned with the scratches\chips that are in a couple places. This doesn't look as bad in person, but under the right light angle it is pretty noticeable. Hopefully they can buff these out?
upload_2018-8-14_8-26-37.png

Chips\scratches at the edge of the rear bumper:
upload_2018-8-14_8-31-27.png

Dropped my Red AWD Model 3 off yesterday at Cherry Hill...currently at a certified body shop getting paint defects corrected. Should have it back by Thursday or Friday so we'll see what the results are. No Tesla loaner for me since they were all out. I refused their Enterprise offer and just had them Lyft me home since I have an ICE car already.

Pretty sure I have the same issues. Did it almost look like these weird little metalic like beads somehow made its way underneath the clear coat?

The shop I called up who's doing my wrap once I get my car back told me all the Red Model 3s he's done recently have had bad paint issues too. Also have a 7/18 build date with a 545XX VIN