Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Plan Change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was reviewing service plans today and when I went to the site I noticed the ranger plans are gone. Is this something that changed recently?

Capture.PNG

That's interesting: a lot of owners depend on Ranger service. Makes me happy I plunked down the cash for the Ranger plan when it was offered.

Notice in the paragraph about Valet above the table that Tesla "is putting in place" valet service and that it will not cost extra.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 2,170
If they are making changes to the site, I wish they would update the "One Year or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first" wording.

They told many people via email it can be either one, not the one that comes first, but the official wording still has not changed.

This is important for people like me who drive around 24k miles a year. My 8 year prepaid service will be over in 4 years if I have to do it every 12k miles instead of every year.

What happens to those who paid for the ranger option. SOL?

IMHO you're jumping the gun. Removing it from the site for new purchases isn't the same as telling owners "we won't provide this service to people who paid for it already." IMHO there's no reason to think they would.

For example, they're no longer selling one of the UMC adapters (14-50? 6-50? I forget), but they haven't stolen mine back yet. (Actually, I just had service; I should double-check, LOL...I never use those adapters.)

I suspect the price is changing, or the service is going to change, or they're just revamping some things and it got lost in the shuffle; they have occasionally flaked out on web site updates and fixed it later.

Valet concept has been operating here for about a year. It makes more sense to have a Valet come get the car than have a qualified Technician spending hours on the road. I find it easier than having a Ranger come as the valet just swaps a loaner for my car and leaves again; although I love chatting with the Rangers that takes up more of my time.

P.S. Be grateful you live in States where service plans are actually available.

Sorry for the dumb questions but I don't get it.

I see the plan includes replacement parts brake pads if you use the regen as it is supposed to be used then I don't see how brake pad will ever need changing, especially in the first 12000 miles
24 hour roadside, I have my insurance for that, and windshield wipers?

System monitoring, does this mean they are always watching my car 24/7 and if I don't get the plan they don't watch 24/7? Do they alert me if there is a problem, and if there is a problem the car should tell me anyway?

Remote Diagnostics, I am 5 miles from the service center so that does not seem relevant unless I am on a trip then is something goes wrong but even then I have my insurance to flat bed the car.

Hardware upgrades, what Hardware upgrades have people received over those who did not buy the plan?

I am not trying to be a smart ass but I don't understand what they are offering vs if I don't buy the plan.

Thanks

They way I read it is that you will still get those things if you do just annual service at the listed price. The 4 or 8-year plan is just prepaid annual service. If you pay for several years in advance you get a rebate...

ohh... And the roadside assistance provided by your insurance, can it handle a Tesla?

That's what Jerome said last night. With all the service centers opening up he said it didn't make sense for Tesla to keep prepaid ranger plans. People who already have them keep them of course.

Can someone explain to me the difference between ranger and valet service? I thought valet was only available if the car was within 50 miles of a service center, otherwise you needed a ranger (for an extra fee). Now I hear of people who live 300 miles or more from a SC getting valet service without an extra fee. So is the only benefit to a ranger is that they don't take away my car for a while an leave me a (non-Tesla) loaner?

I currently live ~25 miles from a SC, but there's a good chance that during my ownership, I'll be moving 100 miles further away. I was told at the Tesla store I couldn't add ranger service to a pre-paid plan. They said I had to either buy the ranger plan now, or stick with valet service for the life of the plan.