Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Annual service is not required to validate warranty.

Annual service is $600 for visual inspection of powertrain, rotating tires, and filling wiper fluid reservoir.

There is a good chance driver notices powertrian problem if the computer does not.

I plan on taking my S for service right before warranty expires.

I personally think that it is a good idea. If the service is prepaid, it is more likely to be used. If you have to 'pay by the drink' you may be more likely to put it off. I liken it to supercharging. We think of it as free. In reality, it is prepaid at time of purchase. Because of that perception, people don't think twice about using them. If we got charged every time we used one, I think it likely that they would be used a little less. Others will disagree. YMMV. :wink:

Annual service is $600 for visual inspection of powertrain, rotating tires, and filling wiper fluid reservoir.

Slight ammendment: They do not visually inspect the power train as that would entail dropping the pack out to look at the motor/inverter. For mine, which was in a few weeks back, they simply verified no flags had been sent up in the software and that was that.

I was just debating this myself when it was time to rotate the tires and fix a minor air leak. The guy at the service center made the case to me that they actually spend about three hours going over the car and that changing the large custom wiper blades alone is worth about $100. He didn't put any pressure on me to do it and I believe they have probably set the price at about the cost of their time and parts. The only real question in my mind is whether it's worth doing proactively yearly or waiting a bit longer.

Can you at least pay the service contract with a credit card, and get cash back/points/etc?

Yes, you can.

I bought the service plan for the discount. If the annual cost of service for this car is only $475/year, I'm already ahead of the game compared to any ICE vehicle. It's also good preventative maintenance.

I have a round trip to Florida next month, and I'm at about 11,000 miles into the car.. I can't decide to go get the first pre-paid service before my trip early (in terms of miles), or after the trip, after I've added 2500 more miles on the clock.

I also bought the service because I bought an inventory car, thinking I don't know the history of the first 8k miles. I also bought it because of the promised "Hardware Upgrades" which ended up being really *nothing*.

There are several other threads that go into this in great detail.