Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

What do you think about the Service Plans?

Is it worth taking it out and saving a few $$? And if so the full 8 or half? Would the prices go up later if on a Pay as You go basis.

Or perhaps some may not have even taken it out?

Thanks.

Hi all,

What do you think about the Service Plans?

Is it worth taking it out and saving a few $$? And if so the full 8 or half? Would the prices go up later if on a Pay as You go basis.

In the past, Tesla has changed the terms of the service plans, so that people who had purchased were better off. For example, they removed wheel alignments and wheel rotation from the regular service, and from service agreements purchased after a certain date, but those who had purchased before still receive those services.

Some will argue the service itself is not necessary, and will suggest taking your car in at half the recommended frequency. That's a separate issue.

Might depend on how much your drive. On my first S I did buy the 4 year plan but drove it so much that I went through those 12.5k mile services at about 2 a year.

When I recently traded for my current S a couple of people at the local Tesla store suggested that with as much as I drive I might want to pass on the 4 year plan (which I did).

Maybe only tangentially related to this thread but I thought I'd add that when I traded in the first S after two years of ownership Tesla sent me a check for the unused portion of the prepaid service plan.

Last edited:
I agree with the miles driven part. I drive 25k or more a year, so I would blow through the 4 year plan in only 2 years. I decided to only bring my car in once a year and pay out of pocket (for the major services, not the minors) and get my tires rotated elsewhere. That saves me $$ over the service plan.

• Informative
Reactions: No ICE
I'm in the same boat trying to decide on these. I guess it really comes down to - do you actually receive any different "benefits" from buying the package vs. just coming in as needed? If there aren't any differences, then the financial flexibility of paying as you go seems to outweigh the "small" savings by paying up front.

Thank you everyone.

Sorry forgot to mention, I'm based in HK and the Service Plan includes Wheel Rotation but the Alignment if required is an additional charge.

I have forecasted my annual mileage to be below 20km, which means only one service per year.

I may just go for the 4 year plan, which is only slightly more if I were to purchase the 8 year one.
Just not sure 4 years later whether price will increase. I imagine it can't be too high. Guess that's the trade off.

Tesla Annual Service Inspection.PNG

I've got to make the decision in the next few weeks to either pre-pay for service or not.

I'm also considering whether 4 years down the road I'll want to purchase the extended warranty and that's only available if I've done all 4 services, right? Anybody's thoughts on that?

This is from the Tesla site: "During the agreement period of the Extended Service Agreement, your coverage may be affected if recommended service is not performed. See the Tesla Extended Service Plan Terms and Conditions for further details". I take it to mean you should do the annual inspection/service if you are seriously considering extended warranty.