Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service/Quality control is still as bad as ever I guess

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just looked at the work invoice:
"Checked firmware version: Updated to latest version 8.1 (17.17.17)." - yet the car is actually 17.17.4 and never got any updates. Additionally it was never updated in the system as "in service" for the whole period, apparently.

Do you see there is any notification to update any firmware on the top bar next to the wifi signal strength? I just took my car into SC to get AP looked at and they pushed a firmware update. I still had to update it myself when I got home. I think it's a liability thing that you have to agree and confirm to the update yourself.

Do you see there is any notification to update any firmware on the top bar next to the wifi signal strength? I just took my car into SC to get AP looked at and they pushed a firmware update. I still had to update it myself when I got home. I think it's a liability thing that you have to agree and confirm to the update yourself.
No, there's no notification. The inactive partition still has 17.11.45 that I had prior to getting 17.17.4 on May 10th.

Moreover I see that the mothership never pushed any updates so it's not waiting to download either. Normally SC would change the car status as "in service" which causes Tesla systems to let your car know it needs to get a new firmware update, they never did it for my car, though.

• Informative
Reactions: ABC2D
No, there's no notification. The inactive partition still has 17.11.45 that I had prior to getting 17.17.4 on May 10th.

Moreover I see that the mothership never pushed any updates so it's not waiting to download either. Normally SC would change the car status as "in service" which causes Tesla systems to let your car know it needs to get a new firmware update, they never did it for my car, though.
damn that's like icing on the cake with how they have handled the service. hoping you get some resolution to your car problems soon.

Had a a call with Tesla today to find out the timelines and next milestones and such and it no longer sounded as easy as yesterday in person.
The process is now described as "very long", "at least a month unless something has recently changed".
There's a report created to some internal committee that includes information on prior service details, how long it took and why it took that long and such. Then the committee would review it all and make a decision if a refund should be issued or not (so no car replacement considerations apparently?)

But of course I am reassured how seriously it is all taken (and also how rare it is).
Going to have weekly status calls on that now.

So a bit of an update, I guess.

I was contacted last week and told that the committee looked at my case and asked if there's anything they could do in order to avoid buying back my car.
So I came up with a list of every thing I could think of (like the non-ghosting windshield, extend warranty, only X loaners for any scheduled service and such) and so I got another call today and most of my list is apparently approved (but I did not get anything in writing so I'd be cautious about it at the time I guess).
Also new windshield (the new part number revealed in the How common is ghosting? by Dirk) was reportedly ordered (but there's no ETA), so we'll see how that one performs, my condition is to get me a as ghost free windshield as possible (benchmark being the old S loaner I had that also has ghosting, but very faint).

They make it sound like they seriously are going to make over for the past mistakes.

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18
Hum.. interesting. So, in total, how many days it took from when you started the process and when you were contacted by the committee?
I was not contacted by commitee. The service advisor that contacted me 12 or so days after Tesla received my notification (the one that gives them 10 days to fix things up) contacted me 8 days after we agreed to go with the replacement.

@verygreen why not demand a new car? My old S had so many issues, but not as bad as yours. They never offer me buy back, I ended up traded it in for a X. no major issue with the X so far.
I did ask for a new car, so they asked me what would it take me not to ask for a new car and stay with my current car.
They did say that if in the future I am still not happy we can still proceed with the buyback, so I decided to give them this one more chance as long as they meet my list of things (besides if I reorder a new car, it won't be built until end of this quarter anyway I figure and I became somewhat more addicted to Tesla cars than I imagined).
Also I was told they don't do new cars, instead they do a buyback, but then can apply the refund towards a new purchase if you decide to buy a new car. There's extra hassle in this process involved, i.e. they typically don't refund the federal EV credit and such (plenty of posts about this).

I am just hoping not to fully repeat @Debaser 's path here ;)

Yea - the above pages are why we leased. Best decision ever. Got so tired (after 1st 4 months) of going back & forth to the service center for my wife - for all the nickel & dime things from FWD's groaning & their windows clunking when opened all the way - & their fit & finish - power mirrors not retracting / extending ... on a 6 figure car? If you end up spending hours driving back & forth so many times - you end up feeling like a slave to their lackadaisical failures. Jeez - & now SC throttling ? Gotta laugh. I realize this isn't the case for many, maybe not the case for most, but the anoyance incidences are way too high, for our cars to ever be considered "fit & finish" - significantly great for many peoples' money . But - since they're the only game in town . . . .

Last edited:
@Magus, I don't know if your comments were directed towards me but you have no idea about my situation. You have no idea how many times my MX has been to SC and how many days it stayed in SC each time.
It's one of those old arguments to the tune of "happy people don't post on the forums about how happy they are so there's a selection bias towards more unhappy people".
Also known as car mechanics bias (i.e. car mechanics tend to see problematic cars so if you ask a car mechanic what brand car to buy, they'll tell you all of the cars nowadays are bad, complete with horrible examples from their practice)

My post is only to say it's not all bad. Just a counterpoint there are also a lot of people with good experiences, in addition to problem cars/experiences. There is nothing here to be offended by.
You are right. there are people who won the Tesla lottery. But the winning odds are everybody's guess.
It's always easy to dismiss people's report as "isolated incidents" until it happens to you. ;)

• Love
I have a love hate relationship with my X. Having been on forums for other brands there are way more problems posted on these forums. There are also MANY more people that come to the defense of Telsa and willing to give them a pass on many issues most related to fit and finish and issues that should have been resolved prior to delivery. I have had many problems with my X and Tesla was very non responsive until I sent a certified letter to start the Lemon Law process. Since then they have been very responsive and have shown a genuine concern to resolve all the issues. I finally have a drivers seat that does not rock back and forth and FWD doors that correctly operate in all weather condition and even if the sun is shining. They even installed the new FWD switches which was nice surprise and much preferred by my daughter. But I still have squeaking and clicking in my dash and they cannot find the source for the noise. It has to go back to the SC again for the 4th time for this issue and 8th time overall in 11 months. I did not lease and totally regret not leasing. While the local SC staff does seem concerned to get the issues resolved it was not until I forced their hand that things started to happen. All seems too little to late for me. They have gone beyond the allotted time to fix the issues and I plan on going to the next step in the Lemon law process. As someone else posted above, after the multiple 50 plus mile trips each way to the SC you get tired of going back and it really distorts your view of your vehicle and not in a positive way.

I'm on the verge of getting a Model X this Fall, doing all the research I can and these stories are my one big concern. By the sounds of it, it is not the usual experience to have so many issues but without a doubt they obviously do happen and happen way more than they should, especially for such an expensive car.

I know the car is is loaded with features and tech that in exchange leaves room for a decrease in quality, as Elon himself has mentioned that the X should've been simplified in retrospect. But still, Tesla isn't new to this, and these things should be way more of a rarity than they seem to be.

What's even worse is that Canada doesn't even have any lemon laws and the few laws they do have in place would be useless against these worst case scenarios.

I understand when people say they have a love hate relationship as a result and could very much see myself with similar feelings under the same conditions. I guess in a sense it really is just matter of hoping to win the lottery. I wish Tesla released the odds of receiving a car with no defects, minor defects, and major issues, etc. Although I can see why they wouldn't as it would be a PR nightmare.

Anyways, wish you guys the best of luck in having your problems resolved and wish me luck in avoiding them if I do go ahead with the gamble.

Cheers.

• Informative
@verygreen why not demand a new car? My old S had so many issues, but not as bad as yours. They never offer me buy back, I ended up traded it in for a X. no major issue with the X so far.
Sure wish Tesla hadn't dropped the 'satisfaction guarantee' . . . . it was just for lease owners, which we are, once we sold our S & got the X ... we figured that'd be a safer way to go. Once the X gets unloaded at end of lease, we don't have to hide anything from subsequent owner. But anyway, the guarantee went away before we could say 'BOOO'. to bad, as that really seamed to show Tesla was committed to having the largest ratio of satisfied customers.
Some people who have problems may be more involved with forum posting. I have always had a great experience with Tesla both fit and finish and service.
I post a lot on our Gen II Prius forum. It too, was a new / untested vehicle. Most reliable car we ever owned, bar none. It's now nearing the 160K miles range. Similarly, our Lexus hybrid. 1st year it came out (mid 2005, called a 2006 model). Over 100K miles. Nearly tied with the Prius. There. Done putting THAT theory (posters can be whiners) to bed. In fact, if it hadn't been for our over the top experience with those 2 rides, we'd still be smarting over how unreliable our 2002 Range Rover was. Whew! unloaded that POS 90 day before warranty expired - which was right after it got out of the shop - trans-axle replacement. $6K just for the unit, though labor was under factory warranty too.
Don't forget, it's not just Tesla owners saying there are issues, several of the car magazines too (who aren't ashamed of saying a car is great, too) are hesitant about saying Tesla is 'reliable' as many other models.
BTW, it's great to hear your X has no issues. Congrats !!! wana trade for our 2017 - might be able to work a sweet deal . . . . pleeeeaze ??
:D

Last edited:
  • Love
I'm on the verge of getting a Model X this Fall, doing all the research I can and these stories are my one big concern. By the sounds of it, it is not the usual experience to have so many issues but without a doubt they obviously do happen and happen way more than they should, especially for such an expensive car.

I know the car is is loaded with features and tech that in exchange leaves room for a decrease in quality, as Elon himself has mentioned that the X should've been simplified in retrospect. But still, Tesla isn't new to this, and these things should be way more of a rarity than they seem to be.

What's even worse is that Canada doesn't even have any lemon laws and the few laws they do have in place would be useless against these worst case scenarios.

I understand when people say they have a love hate relationship as a result and could very much see myself with similar feelings under the same conditions. I guess in a sense it really is just matter of hoping to win the lottery. I wish Tesla released the odds of receiving a car with no defects, minor defects, and major issues, etc. Although I can see why they wouldn't as it would be a PR nightmare.

Anyways, wish you guys the best of luck in having your problems resolved and wish me luck in avoiding them if I do go ahead with the gamble.

Cheers.
Honestly you should be concerned and go in with your eyes wide open. I would not buy another Tesla at the moment and yet I cannot yet imagine driving another vehicle right now. It is not the technology that has been a problem...that has been almost flawless It is the regular stuff like squeaks and rattles, bad drivers seat and just the efforts I had to go to to get Tesla to finally address the issues. They were not willing to assist until I started the lemon law process. QC and fit and finish for a $120k vehicle has been absurdly poor. And up until the last two weeks Tesla's response has been very lack luster. YMMV but this is my actual experience. I am giving Tesla one last shot to fix my noisy dash.